Aston Martin Quotes

Started by TheIntrepid, September 15, 2007, 08:59:24 AM

TheIntrepid

The Aston Martin DB9 is a modern interpretation of a traditional Aston Martin sports car, representing a contemporary version of classic DB design elements and characteristics.

"We wanted an elegant, beautiful car - in keeping with Aston Martin tradition," says Director of Design Henrik Fisker. "I was of course acutely aware that Aston Martin is renowned for its superb styling. It has launched some of the most beautiful sports and GT cars ever seen."

Key traditional Aston Martin features incorporated into the DB9 include the distinctive grille, side strakes and clean, crisp, uncluttered lines.

Clean and elegant surfacing

"Aston Martins are not edgy cars - they don't have sharp surfaces or pronounced power domes," says Fisker. "The bodywork is elegant and gently curved, like a supremely fit person, with great muscle tone. But it is not like a body builder, who is bulky and out of harmony."

The side profile is very clean, with a single-sweep roofline. There is a pronounced boot - a noticeable feature of the DB4 and DB5 - and the haunches on the rear wings are wide and curvaceous.

"A great deal of time was spent on the detailing," says Fisker. "In particular, we wanted to cut down on fuss. There are very few cut or shut lines. Each of the headlamps is set in single apertures in the front wings."

Nor is there a separate nose cone, another typical source of sports car design fussiness. The aluminium bonnet runs all to the way to the leading edge of the car. "This accentuates the length of the bonnet and the power of the car," says Fisker. All front cut lines emanate from the grille.
The DB9's bumpers are invisible. The front number plate is part of the crash structure and computer modelling has enabled Aston Martin to use invisible 'hard pressure zones' to cope with bumps.

"We wanted the DB9 to look like it was milled out of a single solid piece of aluminium," says Fisker. "No fussy detailing and a minimum of shut lines have helped."

The side strakes - an Aston Martin DB signature - are made from metal. The door handles are flush with the body opening the unique 'swan wing' doors, which rise at a 12-degree angle for improved access.

There are no visible gutters on the roof panel, and no visible drain channels at the front or rear
windscreens. Nor are there any plastic 'dressing' plates.

The importance of good stance

"The way the car sits on the road is crucial," says Fisker. "A sleek, long look is what we wanted."

The wide track and long wheelbase are further advantages. Compared with the outgoing DB7 Vantage, the DB9's wheelbase is 149mm longer, yet the track is 52mm wider at the front. Yet overall length and width are only marginally increased.

"The 19-inch wheel has taken into account the optimal size for this car's design and dynamics," says Fisker, "although different wheel styles will be available."

This low bodywork, relative to the wheels, is possible because of the suspension design. The front
suspension uses wishbones that 'fit' within the diameter of the wheels. This narrow spacing, between top and bottom wishbones, means the bodywork can be low - because there is no high suspension to clear. It also improves camber stiffness, improving handling.

"The DB9 had to have the best quality and most luxurious cabin in the 2+2 sports car class," says Fisker. As with the exterior, the design is simple and elegant and a premium quality look and feel are crucial.

"The latest technology is also essential, and that's exactly what the DB9 customer gets," says Fisker. "But in an Aston Martin, the technology is aimed at increasing the driving pleasure. There are no computer gimmicks. You don't buy an Aston Martin to play games on the in-car computer, or to send emails." Aluminium is used for door handles, on the dashboard, in the instrument cluster, and for some trim panels. The most distinctive use of aluminium is probably in the instruments. The dials are made from aluminium, and are of noticeable 'three dimensional' design. They are flood lit, not back lit - making them especially attractive and clear at night.

There are 20 new leather colours, supplied by Bridge of Weir in Scotland. The hides are particularly soft and supple. The leather skins the seats and is used widely throughout the rest of the cabin.

"We spent a lot of time considering how best to use wood," says Interior Designer Sarah Maynard. "Today wood is typically used as an appliqu?, strips of highly polished veneer simply adding decoration to the car. We wanted the wood in the DB9 to look more structural, as it does on avant-garde modern furniture. We also wanted to use large pieces of wood, rather than little strips - again, as in top furniture."

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

I'll take a V8 Vantage.

Not that the DB9 isn't gorgeous.  It's just the Vantage is perfect.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TheIntrepid

I'd take a DB9 over a Vantage in a heartbeat. They're both stunning though.

Raza

"My kid's the best player on his little league team."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

sportyaccordy

I still can't tell any of them apart.

omicron

I'd take the DB9 over the V8 Vantage.

Danish

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 15, 2007, 08:05:10 PM
I still can't tell any of them apart.

Yeah me too.

Theres one of them I really like, only I can't tell which one it is
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

JYODER240

Quote from: Danish on September 16, 2007, 02:21:28 AM
Yeah me too.

Theres one of them I really like, only I can't tell which one it is

you guys can't be serious

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

the only real way to tell is the wheels + slightly different headlights :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

I can tell them apart in real life, just not the pictures.

JYODER240

You guys are blind. The DB9 is clearly longer, has longer overhangs, has a softer shape, a taller greenhouse, and a less aggresive stance. They look no more similar than a CTS and STS.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 16, 2007, 10:23:49 AM
You guys are blind. The DB9 is clearly longer, has longer overhangs, has a softer shape, a taller greenhouse, and a less aggresive stance. They look no more similar than a CTS and STS.

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Raghavan

sandertheshark

Don't forget the strakes on the DB9's rocker panels, or the fender bulges on the Vantage.

CJ

I like the DB9 more than the V8 Vantage.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 01:47:24 PM
I like the DB9 more than the V8 Vantage.

Is your taste actually improving, or are you just mimicking what you see?

CJ

The DB9 looks more crisp than the V8 Vantage.  The V8 Vantage looks like a pig.

sandertheshark

Quote from: CJ on September 16, 2007, 01:53:27 PM
The DB9 looks more crisp than the V8 Vantage.  The V8 Vantage looks like a pig.
You have them mixed up then.

The Vantage is slimmer and sharper-looking.

Panama_Chopster

I agree with you.

ChrisV

Lot's more visible differences than those, even.  They are no more alike than Ray Lewis and Ving Rhames.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 16, 2007, 02:05:02 PM
You have them mixed up then.

The Vantage is slimmer and sharper-looking.

I think the V8 looks chunkier, and nowhere near as good looking as the old V8.  The DB9 may not be better looking than the DB7, but at least it's svelte. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.