r0tary engine will live on

Started by r0tor, September 18, 2007, 04:39:50 PM

TBR

Quote from: r0tor on September 20, 2007, 05:52:20 AM
there is definitely a face-lift in spring and nobody has a clue what it will look like... the engine might be the same or might get some direct injection (mazda has a patent for DI on rotary engines) in some RENESIS(1.5) version.

The new engine seems unlikely as there is going to have to be a serious tooling effort since the complete engine geometry will change with increasing the displacement.

Direct injection would be nice, I imagine that would help fuel economy and perhaps provide a bit more power (though it has plenty anyway, imho).

Stylistically, I don't think they could do much to improve it without completely changing the porportions which isn't going to happen in a mid-cyle revision.

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on September 20, 2007, 08:04:12 AM
SevenStock has no stinkin' pist0ns allowed  :heated:

Actually, they've had a space for V8 converted RX7s for a couple years now...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

only if you like to be laughed at  :heated:

:pee: pist0ns
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 07:21:09 AM
only if you like to be laughed at  :heated:

:pee: pist0ns

None of us care if rotards laugh at us.

Actually, most RX7 fans have been pretty cool. It's only a few vocal idiots that are the problem. Hell, even RX7 sites have been setting up areas for V8 RX7 fans to discuss their cars.

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on September 21, 2007, 08:05:02 AM
Hell, even RX7 sites have been setting up areas for V8 RX7 fans to discuss their cars.

somehow i don't see that happening at nopistons.com  :tounge:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 08:35:48 AM
somehow i don't see that happening at nopistons.com  :tounge:

Well, I realize that religious rotards think their cars are actually POS without their precious rotaries in them, and that narrowminded immaturity knows no bounds. But it's changing for the better in most places.

r0tor

and yippee, there is absolutely nothing you can gain with a V8 swap that you can't gain with an equal amount of time and money with a r0tary while not bastardizing the car

thats my opinion and i could care less that you disagree (and i know you do)

Champ

r0tor

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Champ

r0tor

Champ

Seriously though I don't know much about rotaries.

How come Mazda doesn't make a turbocharged version of the RX-8?  I remember reading C/D did a test on some aftermarket turbo kit by some big company and said it made the car much faster and a lot more power.

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 12:48:40 PM
and the point is??
See post up.

Clearly for whatever reason the rotary is not better than a traditional piston engine, or else we all would have switched over to it now - or at least Mazda would use it in every car.

What is the downfall?

FlatBlackCaddy

r0tor

On paper it sounds like a good idea... I could point to the amount of turbocharged Miata's that sat on dealer lots for ages that prove otherwise though

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 12:52:09 PM
On paper it sounds like a good idea... I could point to the amount of turbocharged Miata's that sat on dealer lots for ages that prove otherwise though
Isn't one of the common complaints of the RX-8 lack of torque/power?  i.e. this car would be insane if it had another 50horse?

Sell a turbo rx-8 for another 2g's and call it a day!

r0tor

Quote from: Champ on September 21, 2007, 12:58:17 PM
Isn't one of the common complaints of the RX-8 lack of torque/power?  i.e. this car would be insane if it had another 50horse?

Sell a turbo rx-8 for another 2g's and call it a day!

thats what they all said about a miata too

r0tor

and for record, GM's 1973 4-rotor corvette prototype car was on record as being faster then a Corvette with a 454

Raghavan

I don't see the point of putting a piston engine in a rotary car... The whole points is that the rotary is different (and cooler too).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 01:00:58 PM
thats what they all said about a miata too

That's still no excuse for not producing a Mazdaspeed RX-8.

r0tor

There were 2 or 3 versions of MS RX-8's in Japan ... none were turbo though

Onslaught

Oh boy. It's turned into an Piston vs Rotary thing.
I personally don't see the point of buying a RX car and then putting a domestic V8 in it. It's the normal "throw more power at it" attitude of many car fans.
You have so many cars to chose from with piston motors and only a handful of rotary ones and only one being made still. Why not just go buy a Corvette if
you want a Chevy V8 sports car? I'm not going to say that someone is wrong for putting a piston motor in their RX if that's what they want to do. But I'm also
not going to say I think it's a better car or anything I would even want. And someone isn't "immature" for thinking this way.

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't car what you put in a RX7, as long as you don't put a power sucking sissy automatic behind it(right chris :ohyeah:).

As for why someone would put a v-8 in a rx7 instead of buying a corvette, i can think of one reason off the top of my head...1000lbs(give or take a small child).

You can't go to gm and get a small 2400lb rwd "sports" car with a v-8, just like you can't get a 400HP v-8 rx from mazda. I look at this car as the real beauty of automotive blending.

Onslaught

Different strokes for different folks

Eye of the Tiger

r0tor

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 21, 2007, 03:15:16 PM
You can't go to gm and get a small 2400lb rwd "sports" car with a v-8, just like you can't get a 400HP v-8 rx from mazda.

but with the same effort, you can make a 400hp rx with a rotary

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2007, 04:02:24 PM
but with the same effort, you can make a 400hp rx with a rotary
Yes, but it won't make that good old American rumble. And we all know a rotary motor won't last more than a week anyway.

Raghavan

Quote from: Onslaught on September 21, 2007, 04:06:40 PM
Yes, but it won't make that good old American rumble. And we all know a rotary motor won't last more than a week anyway.
And they're so torqueless that you have to push it up hills. :devil: :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: Raghavan on September 21, 2007, 04:13:06 PM
And they're so torqueless that you have to push it up hills. :devil: :lol:

but you get great calf muscles!!!