Driven Today!!!

Started by TheIntrepid, September 20, 2007, 01:43:23 PM

TBR

Quote from: BMWDave on September 24, 2007, 09:05:36 PM
Well, it has 4 seats. :lol:  I never used to be a fan of convertibles, and I still am not, but roadsters really do it for me now.  I wouldn't want to buy a 911 convertible over a coupe for instance.

I have to give the Rx-8 a test drive.

Me too. 2-3 years and I'll hopefully own one.

Raghavan

What's the difference between a convertible and a roadster?

JYODER240

Quote from: Raghavan on September 24, 2007, 09:17:38 PM

Depends on who you ask.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 24, 2007, 09:19:02 PM
Depends on who you ask.

For me, a roadster is a car with no storage area behind the seats.  So a S2000, Miata, Boxster are all roadsters.  A 3 series, Porsche 911 cabrio and others are convertibles.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

Quote from: TBR on September 24, 2007, 09:15:46 PM
Me too. 2-3 years and I'll hopefully own one.

How will you get past your cheapness? :lol:

The RX-8 is a great car for you, it's all practical! :ohyeah:

2007 Honda S2000

Onslaught

Josh is drunk right now so i don't know if I can explain very well what I think my mind is saying.
But I think of a roadster as simplistic convertibles with manual tops and not many extra stuff like
ABS, traction control and electronic crap out the ass. I know the actual definition is different but I don't
give a crap right now. Want to fight about it? To me a MGB or NA or Elan are roadsters.

But a convertible is more a larger and "fancier" car with radio controls on the steering wheel.
Heated seats for your cold ass and electronic stuff to make you look like a better diver than
you really are.

But I've had too many drinks tonight and you should ignore anything I say. I won't agree with myself tomorrow.

BMWDave

Quote from: Onslaught on September 24, 2007, 09:25:56 PM
Josh is drunk right now so i don't know if I can explain very well what I think my mind is saying.
But I think of a roadster as simplistic convertibles with manual tops and not many extra stuff like
ABS, traction control and electronic crap out the ass. I know the actual definition is different but I don't
give a crap right now. Want to fight about it? To me a MGB or NA or Elan are roadsters.

But a convertible is more a larger and "fancier" car with radio controls on the steering wheel.
Heated seats for your cold ass and electronic stuff to make you look like a better diver than
you really are.

But I've had too many drinks tonight and you should ignore anything I say. I won't agree with myself tomorrow.

:wtf: :confused: :partyon: :hesaid:

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Quote from: BMWDave on September 24, 2007, 09:22:16 PM
How will you get past your cheapness? :lol:

The RX-8 is a great car for you, it's all practical! :ohyeah:

Well, I am going to sell the Prelude in about a year, right before I go to college. The next summer I am planning on working up in the Boundary Waters area at a scout camp there so I won't need a car (and will be able to put pretty much all the pay into the bank, with no expenses). But, the next summer I'll have a more traditional job (ideally an internship) so I'll need a car. Therefore, I'll have to buy something and by that time RX-8s should be able to be found for pretty reasonable prices.

Soup DeVille

Convertibles have roll-up side windows that work like hardtop cars do. Roadster have either no side windows or plastic zip-ins.

The first generation Vipers were roadsters,the current ones are convertibles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2007, 09:31:03 PM
Convertibles have roll-up side windows that work like hardtop cars do. Roadster have either no side windows or plastic zip-ins.

So Mazda should get a slap down for calling the MX-5 a Roadster. I'm getting a plane ticket right now to start the slapping.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on September 24, 2007, 06:49:10 PM
90% of Pennsylvania can get flushed down a toilet without me caring.

But I hear Allegheny County is a nice place to be...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

That's the proper, "traditional" definition. 

However, in modern usage, when someone says roadster, they mean a two seat convertible. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Are you sure you're not getting roadsters and sports cars mixed up?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Psilos on September 24, 2007, 09:38:40 PM
I'm sure ChrisV will come in and enlighten all of us.
And then tell us how he has had 50 of them.  And then
he walked to got to school up hills of broken glass with
no shoes on and it was snowinl. And a T-Rex chased him.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on September 24, 2007, 09:38:40 PM

No, he's right.  First gen Viper was a roadster, the current is a sports car.  Two seats, two doors, three pedals, rear  wheel drive, open top.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

WOW just got back from my day at Brainerd International Raceway, home of North America's fastest track (or something like that).

What a blast!  All sorts of cool cars there, 2 vipers, m5, bunch of F-bodies, TWO z06's, GTO, Nismo tuned Altima SE-R, mini, TWO Evo MR's, Carrera 4S, some miniature indy cars and 2 Saabs!

Here is a clip of my friend who went with me (from his car POV) with a 2003 9-3 sport sedan.  In this clip he has some little fast forward pointlessness of the drive there but he gets a good lap we had where him and I got stuck behind a EVO - which was trying to lose us but couldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmq5hndU86o

I highly suggest you guys take your cars out to an open track day with instructors, it's a total blast!

BMWDave

Quote from: Champ on September 24, 2007, 10:21:11 PM
WOW just got back from my day at Brainerd International Raceway, home of North America's fastest track (or something like that).

What a blast!  All sorts of cool cars there, 2 vipers, m5, bunch of F-bodies, TWO z06's, GTO, Nismo tuned Altima SE-R, mini, TWO Evo MR's, Carrera 4S, some miniature indy cars and 2 Saabs!

Here is a clip of my friend who went with me (from his car POV) with a 2003 9-3 sport sedan.  In this clip he has some little fast forward pointlessness of the drive there but he gets a good lap we had where him and I got stuck behind a EVO - which was trying to lose us but couldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmq5hndU86o

I highly suggest you guys take your cars out to an open track day with instructors, it's a total blast!

I'm going to head up to one in Lime Rock or Pocono Raceway one of these days.  Theres an event the day I get my car, but I won't get it in time for it.  It's 240 dollars a day for five 20 minutes sessions on the track.  Not a bad price, all told. 

2007 Honda S2000

Champ

Quote from: BMWDave on September 24, 2007, 10:30:14 PM
I'm going to head up to one in Lime Rock or Pocono Raceway one of these days.  Theres an event the day I get my car, but I won't get it in time for it.  It's 240 dollars a day for five 20 minutes sessions on the track.  Not a bad price, all told. 
Nope!  It was $235 for our day today, which was about the same deal although they didn't keep track of your time on the track.  However almost 2 hours of track time is more than enough to get you physically tired and your car sufficiently beat on.

BMWDave

Quote from: Champ on September 24, 2007, 10:31:44 PM
Nope!  It was $235 for our day today, which was about the same deal although they didn't keep track of your time on the track.  However almost 2 hours of track time is more than enough to get you physically tired and your car sufficiently beat on.

Do they supply helmets/necessary equipment, or must I buy that myself before I go on track? 

2007 Honda S2000

Rupert

Hella.

But lose that silly music during the track part of the video! ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BMWDave on September 24, 2007, 10:36:44 PM
Do they supply helmets/necessary equipment, or must I buy that myself before I go on track? 

Most track day events will rent you the helmets, but they only have a limited number.

I don't think they'll be requiring anything more than that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BMWDave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2007, 11:37:23 PM
Most track day events will rent you the helmets, but they only have a limited number.

I don't think they'll be requiring anything more than that.

Good to know.  I plan on buying a helmet, since I plan on using the car for a an occassional track day/autocross. 

Champ, when you take your car to a track session like that, do you swap in race pads and different fluids? 

2007 Honda S2000

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BMWDave on September 24, 2007, 11:46:53 PM
Good to know.  I plan on buying a helmet, since I plan on using the car for a an occassional track day/autocross. 

Champ, when you take your car to a track session like that, do you swap in race pads and different fluids? 

I know you were asking Champ, but I have a problem with rudeness and breaking in on others' conversations. Oh well.

Anyways, I used Motul DOT 5.1 fluids at all times in the S2000 (it's the best DOT approved fluid I could find), and swapped between EBC greenstuf pads for street driving and redstuff pads for track days.

On the Civic, which I've never taken to the track BTW, I use Motul DOT 4 and Ferodo DS2500 pads. I actually think this setup is better than what I ran on the S2000, and wouldn't bother changing to hotter pads for track use.

BMWDave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 25, 2007, 02:46:17 AM
I know you were asking Champ, but I have a problem with rudeness and breaking in on others' conversations. Oh well.

Anyways, I used Motul DOT 5.1 fluids at all times in the S2000 (it's the best DOT approved fluid I could find), and swapped between EBC greenstuf pads for street driving and redstuff pads for track days.

On the Civic, which I've never taken to the track BTW, I use Motul DOT 4 and Ferodo DS2500 pads. I actually think this setup is better than what I ran on the S2000, and wouldn't bother changing to hotter pads for track use.

Cool!  I'll look into that. 

2007 Honda S2000

Champ

I keep DOT 5.1 in my car all the time so that's about the best you can do.  I like to try and bleed out just the area by the caliper to get some fresh fluid down there.

I haven't been swapping pads, but next year I will most likely get a second set of pads and rotors just to use for the track.  This will go along with a set of slicks I plan to buy!  :ohyeah:

They usually have helmets, but it is always good to ask.  I suggest getting your own since you can buy a nice new open faced (also called 3/4) helmet for $60-90 and believe me that will be the cheapest part about tracking :D

BMWDave

Quote from: Champ on September 25, 2007, 08:51:52 AM
I keep DOT 5.1 in my car all the time so that's about the best you can do.  I like to try and bleed out just the area by the caliper to get some fresh fluid down there.

I haven't been swapping pads, but next year I will most likely get a second set of pads and rotors just to use for the track.  This will go along with a set of slicks I plan to buy!  :ohyeah:

They usually have helmets, but it is always good to ask.  I suggest getting your own since you can buy a nice new open faced (also called 3/4) helmet for $60-90 and believe me that will be the cheapest part about tracking :D

Haha, I know, tracking can get expensive!  But I definitely want to get into the game.

2007 Honda S2000

Champ

Here is some good info on brake fluids:

Some of these are DOT 5, which DOES NOT work with our (normal cars) brakes, but 3/4/5.1 are all good. DRY is usually a good measure for people who bleed their brakes often (racing), since there is always fresh fluid. WET is generally a street usage, as water builds over time the boiling point lowers.

DRY: 401F -- WET: 284F --- DOT3
DRY: 446F -- WET: 311F --- DOT4
DRY: 502F -- WET: 343F --- VALVOLINE SYNPOWER
DRY: 509F -- WET: 365F --- MOTUL 5.1
DRY: 527F -- WET: 302F --- AP RACING 551
DRY: 536F -- WET: 392F --- ATE SUPERBLUE/TYP200
DRY: 550F -- WET: 290F --- FORD HD
DRY: 590F -- WET: 410F --- AP RACING 600
DRY: 590F -- WET: 518F --- CASTROL SRF
DRY: 593F -- WET: 420F --- MOTUL RBF600
DRY: 610F -- WET: 421F --- NEO-SYNTHETIC SUPER DOT 610

link to good info on differences: http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

To reitterate, DO NOT USE DOT 5.  You CAN use DOT 5.1 with DOT 3 and 4.

BMWDave

Quote from: Champ on September 25, 2007, 08:56:24 AM
Here is some good info on brake fluids:

Some of these are DOT 5, which DOES NOT work with our (normal cars) brakes, but 3/4/5.1 are all good. DRY is usually a good measure for people who bleed their brakes often (racing), since there is always fresh fluid. WET is generally a street usage, as water builds over time the boiling point lowers.

DRY: 401F -- WET: 284F --- DOT3
DRY: 446F -- WET: 311F --- DOT4
DRY: 502F -- WET: 343F --- VALVOLINE SYNPOWER
DRY: 509F -- WET: 365F --- MOTUL 5.1
DRY: 527F -- WET: 302F --- AP RACING 551
DRY: 536F -- WET: 392F --- ATE SUPERBLUE/TYP200
DRY: 550F -- WET: 290F --- FORD HD
DRY: 590F -- WET: 410F --- AP RACING 600
DRY: 590F -- WET: 518F --- CASTROL SRF
DRY: 593F -- WET: 420F --- MOTUL RBF600
DRY: 610F -- WET: 421F --- NEO-SYNTHETIC SUPER DOT 610

link to good info on differences: http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

To reitterate, DO NOT USE DOT 5.  You CAN use DOT 5.1 with DOT 3 and 4.

Thanks for the info!  I'm really looking forward to tracking this car a bit.

2007 Honda S2000

Champ

Quote from: BMWDave on September 25, 2007, 08:53:35 AM
Haha, I know, tracking can get expensive!  But I definitely want to get into the game.
It's definitely worth it!  There is no where else you can get this kind of excitement, short of the bedroom. ;)

The most expensive part is buying track time and then gas to get to a track and back.  Unless you blow your engine or something :(  Brakes and tires are the next big thing, but aren't too bad.  I was talking with people who run slicks and they generally get 10 track events out of a set - which could be up to 4 years for some people.  My pads and rotors are still in great condition even after 2 track days.

I forgot to add, I rode with a guy who has a track prepped EVO MR.  Holy shit.  It's fast :ohyeah:  Slicks make so much difference!!  I can't stress the importance of a good set of tires.  With the right tires pretty much any car is fast.  He had 6-point seat belts which are also super nice!