Friend clipped mirror

Started by AKL, September 21, 2007, 08:00:47 PM

AKL

My friend clipped his right mirror (of his 2003 Honda Civic) in the garage today. I am not quite sure if it is repairable or not. I was wondering if you guys know. He doesn't want to have to replace the whole damn thing when he doesn't.

Thanks!

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

AKL

Sorry for the photo quality. He took it with his camera phone.
---------------------
---------------------

Soup DeVille

There's such a thing as minimum focus distance, you know! back off to where the camera can actually focus and the pics will be clearer.

Anyways, not its not repairable, yea he'll have to get another one.

I'd suggest going to a junkyard.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

thats just a clip? Jesus, does he enter his garage at 40?

AKL

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2007, 08:05:20 PM
There's such a thing as minimum focus distance, you know! back off to where the camera can actually focus and the pics will be clearer.

Anyways, not its not repairable, yea he'll have to get another one.

I'd suggest going to a junkyard.

How much do you think it'll cost?

Edit: Misread the post. How much do you think it'll cost new? I'll try to help him find one from the junkyard.
---------------------
---------------------

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AKL on September 21, 2007, 08:08:08 PM
How much do you think it'll cost?

Depends. New at the dealership- $200-$300.

From an already pulled and inventoried, shrink wrap type salvage yard, $75.00

From a pull-your-own-parts place, its negotiable. I'd aim for ten bucks. Plus the benefit to those types of places is you get to learn how its supposed to bolt together instead of breaking one you've bought trying to learn.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AKL

Quote from: J86 on September 21, 2007, 08:05:55 PM
thats just a clip? Jesus, does he enter his garage at 40?

No I'd say 60.  :lol:

He was actually backing out. I guess pretty fast to get it completely off.
---------------------
---------------------

AKL

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2007, 08:10:39 PM
Depends. New at the dealership- $200-$300.

From an already pulled and inventoried, shrink wrap type salvage yard, $75.00

From a pull-your-own-parts place, its negotiable. I'd aim for ten bucks. Plus the benefit to those types of places is you get to learn how its supposed to bolt together instead of breaking one you've bought trying to learn.

Thanks for the advice. Just a little question, is it ok to drive without a mirror? Or do you have to be creative with some duct tape.
---------------------
---------------------

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AKL on September 21, 2007, 08:27:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just a little question, is it ok to drive without a mirror? Or do you have to be creative with some duck-tape.

Depends on the local laws. It used to be that you either needed a driver's side and a rear view, or both side mirrors. My Caddy in fact never came with a right side mirror.

However, depnding on where you are: any broken equipment may get you a ticket.

If it were me, I'd get the mirror replaced and use the car without it in the meantime, but that's just me.

Pancor

I remember when Japanese cars usually only came with a driver's side mirror.  Passenger side was optional...  :nutty:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Pancor on September 21, 2007, 08:31:01 PM
I remember when Japanese cars usually only came with a driver's side mirror.  Passenger side was optional...  :nutty:

It wasn't just Japanese cars.

Eye of the Tiger

Uh... all cars were like that back in da 80's n sh*t.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Pancor

I stand corrected.  I only recall noticing it on cheap Japanese cars...

VTEC_Inside

Pulled the wires right out of the harness connector, lol, first time I've seen that.

Might as well remove the inner panel and unbolt whats left now too.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Pancor on September 21, 2007, 08:43:40 PM
I stand corrected.  I only recall noticing it on cheap Japanese cars...

Pancor

Quote from: NACar on September 21, 2007, 08:53:56 PM

Well why don't you rub it in a little!!! 

Lol, I got nothing witty to come back with.  Screw you!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Pancor on September 21, 2007, 09:17:14 PM
Well why don't you rub it in a little!!! 

Lol, I got nothing witty to come back with.  Screw you!

:lol:  :praise:

Soup DeVille

See, that's what you get for trying to be reasonable and intelligent when you've made a mistake on the intertubes.

Pancor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2007, 09:20:57 PM
See, that's what you get for trying to be reasonable and intelligent when you've made a mistake on the intertubes.

Never again!

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2007, 08:31:51 PM
It wasn't just Japanese cars.

My Volvo only had the driver's mirror. And I smashed both off on the Jeep speeding down a snow covered road with trees on either side. The Jeep also had no turn signals. Good times.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

heelntoe

my car has the passenger mirror as an option. :mask:
....and someone broke the mirror of the stand thingy. i glued it back with superglue, but now i can't fold the mirror.
any suggestions? i have a broken passenger mirror in the trunk that has the mechanism, but i want to try putting this together before breaking both of these.
@heelntoe

Onslaught

He could have to straighten up the door around the area that the bolts hold the mirror on. When you pull something off like that it bends the door up a little and when you put a new one on it won't fit right. Just take a hammer and if you have a dolly and smooth it out. If you don't have a dolly then you can still do it.