Edmunds Full Review - 2008 Cadillac CTS

Started by VetteZ06, September 27, 2007, 11:35:24 AM

HurricaneSteve

This new CTS tries way too hard to stand out. The old one looked much better IMO. I'm sure it drives fine though.

VetteZ06

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on September 28, 2007, 07:41:16 AM
This new CTS tries way too hard to stand out. The old one looked much better IMO. I'm sure it drives fine though.

I disagree completely. The CTS doesn't stand out because it tries too hard - it stands out because it has an expressive design that works well. I love it.

The old one was never what I would call "good-looking." It was different than its contemporaries, to be certain, but the details weren't executed very well. Putting it next to the new one makes this very obvious.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: VetteZ06 on September 28, 2007, 09:02:28 AM
I disagree completely. The CTS doesn't stand out because it tries too hard - it stands out because it has an expressive design that works well. I love it.

The old one was never what I would call "good-looking." It was different than its contemporaries, to be certain, but the details weren't executed very well. Putting it next to the new one makes this very obvious.

The flanks and back end look rather bland on the new CTS, and the front end looks way too bling bling for my tastes. The previous CTS looked like a well tailored business suit, sleek and purposeful. The lines were sharp and the proportions demanded respect. This one looks like they hired some rap artists and let them go wild with the pens.

red_shift

I was beginning to get real serious about may be buying this car in the future. Heck, right now 535i looks like the best choice compared with all the others here. (I should test drive the new G as well to see how it handles)

3900 lbs is heavy, you are going to feel it sometimes even though the car may be very sporty.

Why didn't GM spec the car so that it could be competitive compared to others when it comes to weight? I love the looks of the new CTS, the interior is the best out there topping everything else, then why couldn't they just go the extra mile? Why??  :banghead:
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 10:54:19 AM
I was beginning to get real serious about may be buying this car in the future. Heck, right now 535i looks like the best choice compared with all the others here. (I should test drive the new G as well to see how it handles)

3900 lbs is heavy, you are going to feel it sometimes even though the car may be very sporty.

Why didn't GM spec the car so that it could be competitive compared to others when it comes to weight? I love the looks of the new CTS, the interior is the best out there topping everything else, then why couldn't they just go the extra mile? Why??  :banghead:

BMW bias aside, unless you have kids, you're probably better off with a car the size of the 3 series or G37. The G would be my choice, if the C300 6 speed's not quick enough for you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Are you looking for a new car, bhaisaab? Let me know when you're selling that E46.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on September 28, 2007, 10:39:39 AM
The flanks and back end look rather bland on the new CTS, and the front end looks way too bling bling for my tastes. The previous CTS looked like a well tailored business suit, sleek and purposeful. The lines were sharp and the proportions demanded respect. This one looks like they hired some rap artists and let them go wild with the pens.

The old one was much boxier. "Sleek" definitely applies more to the new one IMO.

VetteZ06

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on September 28, 2007, 10:39:39 AM
The previous CTS looked like a well tailored business suit, sleek and purposeful. The lines were sharp and the proportions demanded respect.

The lines were too sharp, and the details needed refining.

I really like the previous-gen CTS, but the new one improves upon its looks in many, many ways.

red_shift

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 28, 2007, 10:56:41 AM
Are you looking for a new car, bhaisaab? Let me know when you're selling that E46.

Nahin Bhai.. My daughter who's just 4 at the moment is being groomed to accept it as her 1st car when she turns 16!  :lol: I love my E46 too much to sell it.

You want the Honda? I have even retrofitted MB E class HID projectors and ballasts into it!
Future is electric

TheIntrepid

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 01:00:05 PM
Nahin Bhai.. My daughter who's just 4 at the moment is being groomed to accept it as her 1st car when she turns 16!  :lol: I love my E46 too much to sell it.

You want the Honda? I have even retrofitted MB E class HID projectors and ballasts into it!

No I don't. :lol:

A 12-15 year old 325 as a first car? Pretty cool.

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 01:00:05 PM

You have a kid?  I wouldn't have expected that.  You don't seem responsible enough to be a parent. 

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

red_shift

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 28, 2007, 02:26:06 PM
A 12-15 year old 325 as a first car? Pretty cool.

Something to get her started I guess. By then I could be tooling around in the latest electric/solar/hydrogen powered flying car anyway!   :praise:
Future is electric

TheIntrepid

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 02:58:07 PM
Something to get her started I guess. By then I could be tooling around in the latest electric/solar/hydrogen powered flying car anyway!   :praise:

:rockon:

Check your PMs.

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 02:58:07 PM

Is it an E90 or E46?  Was 2005 the last year of the E46, or was 2004?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

red_shift

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2007, 02:52:42 PM
You have a kid?  I wouldn't have expected that.  You don't seem responsible enough to be a parent. 

:lol:

That makes it what, your 10th incorrect assumption abut me then?  :praise:
Future is electric

TheIntrepid

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 03:04:07 PM
That makes it what, your 10th incorrect assumption abut me then?  :praise:

I guess you're older than I thought you were.  That's not a compliment.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

red_shift

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2007, 03:01:15 PM
Is it an E90 or E46?  Was 2005 the last year of the E46, or was 2004?

E46. 2005 Feb was when I got it. May 2005 was when E-90 came out.
Future is electric

red_shift

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2007, 03:07:07 PM
I guess you're older than I thought you were.  That's not a compliment.

What makes you think that I care what you think of me?  :lol:
Future is electric

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 03:13:45 PM
What makes you think that I care what you think of me?  :lol:

Hehehe.

I thought we were going to make a mid engined sedan together!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

red_shift

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2007, 03:14:38 PM
Hehehe.

I thought we were going to make a mid engined sedan together!

Alright, I will bring the engineering and you bring your (ahem) Parents' hard earned capital then.  :lol:
Heck, now that you bring it up, Tesla is reportedly bringing a mid engined electric sedan pricced sub 50K USD in 1-2 years. I do hope they do, coz I am tired of the Infernal Combustion engine and the been there done that front engined layouts.
Future is electric

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 03:19:48 PM
Alright, I will bring the engineering and you bring your (ahem) Parents' hard earned capital then.  :lol:
Heck, now that you bring it up, Tesla is reportedly bringing a mid engined electric sedan pricced sub 50K USD in 1-2 years. I do hope they do, coz I am tired of the Infernal Combustion engine and the been there done that front engined layouts.

Hey, hey.  I'm more than a financial backer.  I'm a concepts man. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

red_shift

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2007, 03:25:06 PM
Hey, hey.  I'm more than a financial backer.  I'm a concepts man. 

A CFO makes or breaks any company. You are far more important than you might think!  :mrcool:

Only missing person is the CEO and if we can rope in Miro for that, we could be golden.  :praise:
Future is electric

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on September 28, 2007, 03:37:20 PM
A CFO makes or breaks any company. You are far more important than you might think!  :mrcool:

Only missing person is the CEO and if we can rope in Miro for that, we could be golden.  :praise:

You're right!  But I'm a hands on kind of guy.  I like a flat corporate structure.  Only engineers have to call me "sir".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

redbloodedamerican

Quote from: ifcar on September 28, 2007, 06:09:07 AM
No you can't. You can get a decidedly wrong impression, just like by using measurements.
Quote from: ifcar on September 28, 2007, 06:09:07 AM
No you can't. You can get a decidedly wrong impression, just like by using measurements.

That's true. Have you ever seen a W140 S class from another car as opposed to from the sidewalk? It's a huge difference

sandertheshark

Because then they wouldn't be GM.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2007, 03:41:32 PM
You're right!  But I'm a hands on kind of guy.  I like a flat corporate structure.  Only engineers have to call me "sir".

:rolleyes:

I'll start a rival company and bury you with a far superior product.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on September 28, 2007, 09:49:13 PM
:rolleyes:

I'll start a rival company and bury you with a far superior product.

I don't think there's much of a market for cars that don't run.

But, worry not, there is always a place for you....in the mailroom.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Nice car, really. Gas, where do you get these pics?