Saw a new Accord sedan in the flesh

Started by sportyaccordy, September 27, 2007, 04:30:46 PM

sportyaccordy

1. It's huge
2. Comments from friends ranged from 'it looks like a 5 series' to 'it looks like a Hyundai'
3. It's huge
4. Exterior looks very derivative and bland

Laconian

It's positively sleep-inducing in white.

I liked the interior though, it shares the B9 Tribeca's swoopy/modern look. And more redundant HVAC controls is great, since I HATE having to poke through a cumbersome nav system to turn on floor ventilation.

but yes, on the outside it's like a bigger, more boring Sonata.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

I've seen them, and even took a peak at the local dealer (they have quite a few). It's really taken a step backwards in exterior styling - it's as if though Honda spent all its creative dollars going overboard on the Civic, Ridgeline and Element, and left the Accord to wallow. It doesn't look near as upscale as the current car, which itself looks kinda bland.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 27, 2007, 04:44:37 PM

It's positively sleep-inducing in white.

I liked the interior though, it shares the B9 Tribeca's swoopy/modern look. And more redundant HVAC controls is great, since I HATE having to poke through a cumbersome nav system to turn on floor ventilation.

but yes, on the outside it's like a bigger, more boring Sonata.

No joke, it does look like a fridge there.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Well, it's an appliance, and it looks like what it is.

Laconian

Accords don't _drive_ like appliances, though!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

J86

Quote from: Laconian on September 27, 2007, 04:57:34 PM
Accords don't _drive_ like appliances, though!

I drive a '96 with a quarter of a million miles on it, I quite like how it drives for what it is.

S204STi

the Teuton

So is the new Accord supposed to be an Avalon competitor?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on September 27, 2007, 06:23:14 PM
I like it.

I do, too, but this car, to me, seems like a different kind of Accord. 

That's a lot of commas in one sentence.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on September 27, 2007, 06:25:49 PM
I do, too, but this car, to me, seems like a different kind of Accord. 

That's a lot of commas in one sentence.

My favorite was the 5th gen, and I didn't care too much for the 6th or 7th gen.  I think this is an improvement over the 7th gen, I could never warm up to that one.

I'm not thrilled about the size (and probably weight) gain, but Honda isn't a niche manufacturer.  If a size and comfort increase is what's going to sell cars, then I can't fault them for doing that.

I'm happy to see that it retains the double wishbone setup though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CJ

It IS absolutely huge!  I saw a new one in black, and thought it was pretty great looking.

the Teuton

Is it Lucerne kind of huge?  I haven't seen one yet.

CJ

Not really.  It's just huge for an Accord. 

Found out two nights ago that my mom REALLY likes the new Accord.  Looks like we're getting one in '09.  EX-L V6.

Northlands

I like the coupe. Not sold on that sedan though.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT666

I like it.  The previous gen was so bland it put me to sleep just looking at it.  This one looks good.

TBR

Parked side by side with a '07 Accord it doesn't look much longer at all.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

sandertheshark

There are no emotions I can attach to this, it is so neutral.

VTEC_Inside

I was about to post my thoughts on this thing, but if you havent got anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. Right?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

the Teuton

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 27, 2007, 09:47:47 PM
There are no emotions I can attach to this, it is so neutral.

Isn't that the point of this car?  If you want to attach any emotions to an Accord, wait for the next TSX to come out.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on September 27, 2007, 10:44:16 PM
Isn't that the point of this car?  If you want to attach any emotions to an Accord, wait for the next TSX to come out.
Yea thank God for Acura and Lexus. Without them, Honda and Toyota would probably have no design department

nickdrinkwater

I'm pretty sure the TSX is designed by Honda seeing as it's a rebadged Accord.

ifcar

Finally saw one on the street. It doesn't look too big. Much better proportions than the last one.

HurricaneSteve

I didn't get to see the front end but the body looked alot better in person than in pictures. That side profile looks really good.

etypeJohn

Quote from: TBR on September 27, 2007, 07:56:49 PM
Parked side by side with a '07 Accord it doesn't look much longer at all.

It's 3-4 inches longer and bigger in every dimension and heavier thant he 2007.  Turning radius is almost 2 feet larger also.  Stripper 4 Cyl manuals are tipping the scales at about 3300 pounds

SVT666

Quote from: etypeJohn on September 28, 2007, 09:07:35 AM
It's 3-4 inches longer and bigger in every dimension and heavier thant he 2007.  Turning radius is almost 2 feet larger also.  Stripper 4 Cyl manuals are tipping the scales at about 3300 pounds
3300 lbs is light for a large sedan.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 28, 2007, 09:11:42 AM
3300 lbs is light for a large sedan.

But it's huge for a sedan with a 4 banger.  Find me another sedan that weighs that much with a 4 cylinder engine.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on September 28, 2007, 09:16:01 AM
But it's huge for a sedan with a 4 banger.  Find me another sedan that weighs that much with a 4 cylinder engine.

Sebring/Avenger and Fusion are around 3,300. Galant is 34xx. Camry and Sonata are 32xx.