Long Term Test: 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT

Started by SVT666, October 02, 2007, 11:08:17 AM

FlatBlackCaddy

FordSVT,

IT was a joke, no need for the lengthy response to counter my post.

Also its tough saying that there isn't anything better for the money when talking about modified vehicles. Someone can always build something faster for less money and possibly even make it more reliable too.

I'm sure the Mustang you mention would be fantastic, i personally would probobly go the lighter, cheaper(and probobly faster) route of doing the RX7+v8 build. I'm sure those old mustangs are great, but its hard to mask that extra 600-800lbs with horsepower.

As for the original topic, way to go hemi. I hope that your court action goes in your favor. On to bigger and better things. :ohyeah:

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 03, 2007, 08:02:25 AM
I'm sure the Mustang you mention would be fantastic, i personally would probobly go the lighter, cheaper(and probobly faster) route of doing the RX7+v8 build. I'm sure those old mustangs are great, but its hard to mask that extra 600-800lbs with horsepower.
The 5.0L LX cars like the one I posted had a curb weight of 2850 lbs.

SVT666

Quote from: FordSVT on October 03, 2007, 06:58:53 AM
And Hemi666, I totally agree with you on the looks of the notch-back 5.0L LX. I don't like the hatches with the gfx, etc. Just a bunch of added weight and reduced stiffness. The LX is a clean design, small, tight, nothing fancy. All business. I'd take a mint 90-93 LX 5.0 over a 94-98 Mustang to be honest. I'd take a 260 hp 99+ GT over either of course.
I actually really like teh '94-'98 GTs since I've owned two of them.  They're fast and are much stiffer then the Fox bodies.  The problem comes with the '94-'95 5.0L models because the hood clearance is less then the Fox body cars and you can't fit the aftermarket intakes under the hood without getting a cowl hood.  Not many parts were made for those cars because 5.0L was only in that car for 2 years.  The 4.6L when properly modded will hit 400 hp in Naturally Aspirated form.  I did it, and I know the owner of Modular Depot has a 4.6L 2V in NA form that's pushing 390 RWHP.

QuoteI'd go as far as to say that for the money, there aren't any cars that can take a properly set-up 5.0 on the street. A clean car + under $10,000 and your time will build you a reliable 11 second, 0.9-1.0 G import killer that stops on a dime as well. The biggest chunk of change is the forced induction  setup and the internals to go with it, but the stock block can easily handle 350-400 hp. However, I'm the type who'd spend the extra cash to make it bullet-proof, especially when the motor is 15 years old. But parts are cheap and advice is plentiful. Swap the shocks, brakes, anti roll bars and change the rear end. A short throw shifter and a set of decent 17" wheels and tires. Tint the windows (remove the spoiler if there is one). Fuck the big stereo: 4-6 speakers and a head unit is all you need, and that shit is heavy. Voila! Putting the same money into something like a Civic would be a damn waste for what you'd end up with.
Trick Flow offers a head, intake, and cam package for the 5.0L that one of my local Mustang shops installed on a customer car and immediately dyno'd with no other mods and it made 305 RWHP which is approx. 365 HP at the crank.  Full exhaust, tune, and CAI got it up to 325 RWHP (approx. 390 HP at the crank).  Lowering springs, subframe connectors, lower and upper controls arms, and performance brakes turn this 20 year old car into a modern day world beater.  You can get the Watts Link for the Fox body as well which would enhance handling even more. 

nickdrinkwater

Great review Hemi!

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 02, 2007, 04:07:22 PM
Ooooh, the Fox Body notch is one of the most beautiful cars ever made...please get one :ohyeah:

My sarcasm meter just went into overdrive there!

FordSVT

FordSVT,

IT was a joke, no need for the lengthy response to counter my post.

Only the first two sentences were for you, the rest of me was ranting about a car I like.  :ohyeah:

SaltyDog

Another reason to get the notch is that 99% of fastbacks on the used market were beatup by high school kids.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SVT666

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 03, 2007, 04:13:45 PM
Another reason to get the notch is that 99% of fastbacks on the used market were beatup by high school kids.
The hatches also didn't seal very well.

Payman

My racing buddy, Mark, has a friend who'll sell me a '99 Sunfire with the 5 speed and 2.4 (is that the Quad4?) for $250. According to your assessment, this will make a terrific Comp4 race car. Thoughts?

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on October 04, 2007, 08:20:06 AM
My racing buddy, Mark, has a friend who'll sell me a '99 Sunfire with the 5 speed and 2.4 (is that the Quad4?) for $250. According to your assessment, this will make a terrific Comp4 race car. Thoughts?

$250?  Good deal for a world class sports car.

TheIntrepid

wtf. $250?! I'll offer $500. It runs?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Payman

I haven't seen it yet, but he's still driving it. My guess it has rust issues.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on October 04, 2007, 08:30:19 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but he's still driving it. My guess it has rust issues.
In Ontario rust is the problem with all cars isn't it?  Rust can't keep a good car down.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 04, 2007, 08:35:06 AM
In Ontario rust is the problem with all cars isn't it?  Rust can't keep a good car down.

Mine's been driven hard for all of its 157,000km and it doesn't have a speck of rust on it! :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 04, 2007, 08:35:50 AM
Mine's been driven hard for all of its 157,000km and it doesn't have a speck of rust on it! :rockon:

Look on the underside.  There will be rust, more than if you lived in North Carolina or something.  Your car is still fairly new (model year wise) too.  It's only a matter of time before it creeps up to your body panels.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on October 04, 2007, 10:50:23 AM

Look on the underside.  There will be rust, more than if you lived in North Carolina or something.  Your car is still fairly new (model year wise) too.  It's only a matter of time before it creeps up to your body panels.
People in Western Canada will not buy used cars from Eastern Canada because the amount of salt they use out there is autrocious.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 04, 2007, 10:53:01 AM
People in Western Canada will not buy used cars from Eastern Canada because the amount of salt they use out there is autrocious.

NY state uses the same amount of salt, I'd imagine.  The last two cars I purchased came from the south (Georgia and North Carolina, respectively), and that's the way to go, if buying used.  I buy 'em in the summer, put a coating on the underside, and I'm good for a while.

It sucks though...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 03, 2007, 04:14:22 PM
False alarm!

You actually do think that Mustang is one of the most beautiful cars ever made?  :pullover: :pullover: :pullover:

Payman

In Newfoundland, there is a sea salt zone that extends upwards of 3000 feet. Couple that with the tons of roadsalt they use, cars don't last very long. I remember dad's 1976 Valiant... in 1978 he was duct taping over the rust holes in the fenders.  :lol:

SaltyDog

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 04, 2007, 11:11:48 AM
You actually do think that Mustang is one of the most beautiful cars ever made?  :pullover: :pullover: :pullover:

I think it looks good in just about every way.  It might be a simple design, but that's fine.

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 04, 2007, 07:30:42 AM
The hatches also didn't seal very well.

Wierd, there must be 3 hatches for every notch where I live.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SVT666

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 04, 2007, 11:26:54 AM
I think it looks good in just about every way.  It might be a simple design, but that's fine.

Wierd, there must be 3 hatches for every notch where I live.

Here too, but I remember riding in my buddy's '88 GT Cobra and the hatch would shake over bumps and he would get a water drip whenever it rained and the car was only 7 years old when he had it.

r0tor

I'm sure the Mustang you mention would be fantastic, i personally would probobly go the lighter, cheaper(and probobly faster) route of doing the RX7 +v8 build.

:evildude::hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :heated: :lockedup:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

3.0L V6

It was called the "Twin Cam Four". It was a derivitave of the Quad4 with more displacement and balance shafts.

sportyaccordy

You could build a 12 second, track ready, all motor Civic for $10K but that's another discussion

I've always had a soft spot for the 91-93 LX's and GTs (blame Vanilla Ice :( )... if I HAD to get one of these oxcarts it would be that one, although my absolute favorite, merely for its unsuccessful marriage of high and low tech, would have to be the 2.3L turbo powered SVO model of the mid 80s, complete with discontinued metric sized tires and the general air of malaise in the automotive world of the 80s

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 04, 2007, 08:08:03 PM
You could build a 12 second, track ready, all motor Civic for $10K but that's another discussion
And for the same money I can build a 10 second Mustang. :ohyeah: