2006 Subaru Impreza STi

Started by BMWDave, June 30, 2005, 11:55:58 AM

BMWDave

Link with Pictures

Subaru Impreza STi  

You cannot criticise Subaru's designers for lacking a sense of adventure... Who could forget the radical bug-eyed Impreza facelift of August 2000? Now, the company is doing it again, with an interpretation of the model that's proving just as controversial among fans of the marque.

The car is due on sale in December, and the origins of the styling can be traced to the B11S concept, unveiled at 2002's Geneva Motor Show. It has appeared more recently on the new B9 Tribeca SUV, and on Japan-only superminis such as the R1 and R2. The future face of Subaru is certainly causing a stir.

Still, we feel the unusually shaped new corporate grille works better on this than any of the other new Subarus we have seen so far - and it is helped by the fact that the cosmetic upgrades to the Impreza do not stop with the nose.

As well as reworking the tail-lamps, the firm has developed a fresh set of aerodynamic wings, including a new roof-mounted vane that channels air more efficiently to improve downforce.

Under the skin, the modifications continue. While the fresh Impreza sits on the current platform, it gets a range of new engines, including an eagerly anticipated 2.5-litre turbo for the STi.

Our early drive didn't allow us to try that evolution of the car, so we stuck to the basic 2.0-litre version of the STi, on sale now in Japan. Torque is up from 412Nm to 422Nm at 4,400rpm, outdoing the Mitsubishi Evo IX's 400Nm to make it among the most powerful 2.0-litre turbo cars on the planet.

And while the 280bhp output is the same, a remapped ECU has improved throttle response, so between 3,000rpm and 5,000rpm it feels more urgent than the figures suggest. Once the turbo is blowing, the Impreza delivers explosive pace, with 0-60mph in a claimed 4.6 seconds. Progress is aided by the six-speed gearbox, which now has greater rigidity, and has a carbon synchromesh for quicker, smoother shifts.

One main area of revision was the Impreza's driver's control centre differential (DCCD), introduced on the existing model. As a result, the DCCD now delivers torque evenly between axles. While the original's pronounced oversteer is not as obvious, the Subaru still corners quickly and accurately, and the modified suspension improves handling.

Inside, the new interior, shared with Saab's US-only 9-2X, really does pull the car upmarket. So it looks radically different, and is more user friendly - whatever you think of the fresh face, the Impreza has lost none of its charm.
Peter Lyon

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

I really don't think that this facelift is has been as poorly accepted as the '01 one was. Also, the taillights are pretty ugly imho.  

BMWDave

QuoteI really don't think that this facelift is has been as poorly accepted as the '01 one was. Also, the taillights are pretty ugly imho.
The taillights are not to my liking, though certainly not ugly IMO.  And reaction to this facelift has been fairly positive.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteI really don't think that this facelift is has been as poorly accepted as the '01 one was. Also, the taillights are pretty ugly imho.
The taillights are not to my liking, though certainly not ugly IMO.  And reaction to this facelift has been fairly positive.
Yeah, I don't know why the writer acted as if it wasn't, maybe the UK has reacted differently to it.  

shayslay

When they have the headlights at the same height as the grille it looks a lot better compared to the B9 with the headlights above the grill. I think the front looks aggressive, but I don't know why the Impreza needed two MMCs in a span of 5 model years.
-impReza

2004 Acura RSX-S

TBR

QuoteWhen they have the headlights at the same height as the grille it looks a lot better compared to the B9 with the headlights above the grill. I think the front looks aggressive, but I don't know why the Impreza needed two MMCs in a span of 5 model years.
Yeah, the Tribeca's front needs a lot of work. Though, as I have said seemingly countless times, it does look a lot better in dark colors.  

BMWDave

QuoteWhen they have the headlights at the same height as the grille it looks a lot better compared to the B9 with the headlights above the grill. I think the front looks aggressive, but I don't know why the Impreza needed two MMCs in a span of 5 model years.
Yeah, the Tribeca's front needs a lot of work. Though, as I have said seemingly countless times, it does look a lot better in dark colors.
A little better, but no much, IMO.  It is definitely due for a front end redesign real soon.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

A little better, but no much, IMO.  It is definitely due for a front end redesign real soon.
No argument there. It is really a shame since the rest of the vehicle is excellent.  

giant_mtb

The grille is too skinny and isn't wide enough to be in good proportion.  That's the only quibble I can find.

R33 GT-R

I knew you would be all over this thread.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!