Edmunds First Drive: 2009 Audi A4

Started by SJ_GTI, October 04, 2007, 12:37:15 PM

Raghavan

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on October 08, 2007, 04:15:42 PM
Well you're a BMW troll so it doesn't matter.

No, it's not that. I just feel it's better balanced, and the car is just engineered beautifully. The whole thing just, well, works.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raghavan

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 08, 2007, 04:16:35 PM
No, it's not that. I just feel it's better balanced, and the car is just engineered beautifully. The whole thing just, well, works.
How would you know how well balanced a RWD A4 would be?

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on October 08, 2007, 04:17:39 PM
How would you know how well balanced a RWD A4 would be?

I THINK I would take the 3er. I don't know. It doesn't seem to work well for the others.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Champ

sportyaccordy

A RWD 4cyl A4 would prob. be better balanced than a Bimmer. Accesories weigh less than engine block and would take weight off the nose of the car, as well as be lighter than a 6 cylinder motor, even with the turbo. I thing the VW/Audi 2.0T motor in a RWD chassis would own, and seriously they'd have to do no reengineering; just buy a tranny from Getrag or whoever and have at it.

3100#, 200HP, seating for 5, RWD, Audi looks? Why not?

Raghavan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 08, 2007, 05:48:32 PM
A RWD 4cyl A4 would prob. be better balanced than a Bimmer. Accesories weigh less than engine block and would take weight off the nose of the car, as well as be lighter than a 6 cylinder motor, even with the turbo. I thing the VW/Audi 2.0T motor in a RWD chassis would own, and seriously they'd have to do no reengineering; just buy a tranny from Getrag or whoever and have at it.

3100#, 200HP, seating for 5, RWD, Audi looks? Why not?
It'd be closer to 3000 lbs since the AWD car is only 3100 lbs.

TBR

The current RS4 would still be terribly balanced even as RWD only simple because of the engine location. The new car's engine, however, is pushed further back.

TBR

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2007, 11:12:30 AM
The problem is as I explained Audi has spent 20 years with saying Quattro > RWD > FWD ... and the audi buyers believe it

I think it would be better to keep those Audi diehards and have a better chance at BMW diehards who have always thought RWD>AWD>FWD

Raghavan

Quote from: TBR on October 08, 2007, 08:48:15 PM
The current RS4 would still be terribly balanced even as RWD only simple because of the engine location. The new car's engine, however, is pushed further back.
Yeah, all the current ones are too nose heavy for them to be any good RWD but the new ones are awesome. The engines are pushed back by almost half a foot!

TBR

Note, if I was to buy a new Audi (not a foreseeable circumstance mind you), I'd probably get Quattro over RWD simply because it would seem silly to buy a non-Quattro Audi. But, if Audi is going to over 2wd cars, there is no reason they can't be RWD.

nickdrinkwater

The 'current' RS4 you are referring to is obsolete, at least the saloon is anyway.

TBR

How is it obsolete? It is still sold and is still competitive.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on October 09, 2007, 09:00:06 AM
How is it obsolete? It is still sold and is still competitive.

I don't think its being built anymore in sedan form.

Its absolete because the platform its built on is being phased out.

As far as the RWD vs FWD thing, I think many people here get too caught up in assuming that just because BMW has the most sales, everyone should be like BMW.

Audi sells tons of FWD models all over the world. Would those people buy RWD Audi's? Maybe...but its not a guarantee. Plenty of people prefer FWD for its simplicity and aren't looking to drift around corners. Audi's current model layout lets them go after enthusiasts with AWD, and at the same time satisfy the more boring part of the market with FWD. The FWD vs RWD is a differentiator for Audi (MB and BMW both use RWD), and I doubt its something they are looking to give up.

FordSVT

Quote from: r0tor on October 05, 2007, 06:02:37 AM
I'm a fan... although i wish it didn't grow in physical size from the last generation

Wut ru gong to do whn the nxt RX8 ways 3200 lbs  :confused:

:lol:

Raghavan

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 09, 2007, 09:13:23 AM
I don't think its being built anymore in sedan form.

Its absolete because the platform its built on is being phased out.

As far as the RWD vs FWD thing, I think many people here get too caught up in assuming that just because BMW has the most sales, everyone should be like BMW.

Audi sells tons of FWD models all over the world. Would those people buy RWD Audi's? Maybe...but its not a guarantee. Plenty of people prefer FWD for its simplicity and aren't looking to drift around corners. Audi's current model layout lets them go after enthusiasts with AWD, and at the same time satisfy the more boring part of the market with FWD. The FWD vs RWD is a differentiator for Audi (MB and BMW both use RWD), and I doubt its something they are looking to give up.
RWD is more simple than FWD.

r0tor

Quote from: TBR on October 08, 2007, 08:49:29 PM
I think it would be better to keep those Audi diehards and have a better chance at BMW diehards who have always thought RWD>AWD>FWD

and then loose the people that bought the FWD version because FWD is cheaper, gets better fuel mileage, and handles more predictable for the average Joe
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raghavan

Quote from: r0tor on October 09, 2007, 04:42:11 PM
and then loose the people that bought the FWD version because FWD is cheaper, gets better fuel mileage, and handles more predictable for the average Joe
I don't see why RWD can't be made as cheaply as FWD and isn't as fuel efficient.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on October 09, 2007, 04:44:16 PM
I don't see why RWD can't be made as cheaply as FWD and isn't as fuel efficient.

More driveline loss, and more components.  FWD cars have the differential integrated with the transmission, and each axle headed out of the tranny is relatively short.  RWD requires a driveshaft to the rear of the vehicle where a differential then transfers to the axles.  When designing and building a car, you have to account for all those extra parts, for everything from gas tank location to the actual vehicle chassis itself.

More weight and more moving points is going to hurt efficiency.  Though I'd imagine a modern RWD car has cut down on this significantly, and the efficiency differences between a hypothetical FWD car and hypothetical RWD car (all other variables being the same) are relatively insignificant.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Quote from: The Pirate on October 09, 2007, 04:51:35 PM

More driveline loss, and more components.  FWD cars have the differential integrated with the transmission, and each axle headed out of the tranny is relatively short.  RWD requires a driveshaft to the rear of the vehicle where a differential then transfers to the axles.

More weight and more moving points is going to hurt efficiency.  Though I'd imagine a modern RWD car has cut down on this significantly, and the efficiency differences between a hypothetical FWD car and hypothetical RWD car (all other variables being the same) are relatively insignificant.
OK, RWD cars are still simpler, and i doubt you're going to notice the gas differences at the pump.
Besides, who buys FronTrak Audis anyways? I've seen about one or two in my entire life. Pretty much everyone who buys Audi buys Quattro. However, if Audi's also came with RWD, they'd get a lot more enthusiast sales too.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on October 09, 2007, 04:54:02 PM
OK, RWD cars are still simpler, and i doubt you're going to notice the gas differences at the pump.
Besides, who buys FronTrak Audis anyways? I've seen about one or two in my entire life. Pretty much everyone who buys Audi buys Quattro. However, if Audi's also came with RWD, they'd get a lot more enthusiast sales too.

For me, quattro is synonymous with the Audi name. It's a brilliant system, and I just feel that Audis are meant to be 4WD, even if the newer ones can accomodate RWD.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raghavan

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 09, 2007, 04:58:41 PM
For me, quattro is synonymous with the Audi name. It's a brilliant system, and I just feel that Audis are meant to be 4WD, even if the newer ones can accomodate RWD.
By that thinking, Audi should offer only Quattro and be like Subaru then...

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on October 09, 2007, 05:00:16 PM
By that thinking, Audi should offer only Quattro and be like Subaru then...

Frontrak is for budget shoppers who want the name, and the styling. Trust me, even here, A3's do sell, because they have the Audi name, and look nice.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

I think they sell Frontrak models on every range in other markets.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on October 09, 2007, 05:19:53 PM
I think they sell Frontrak models on every range in other markets.

They do, except for the A8 (obviously)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SJ_GTI

I'm pretty certain North America is the only market where quattro outsells fronttrack models. When traveling to Europe, most Audi's tended to be FWD version (A3, A4, and A6).

omicron

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 10, 2007, 08:11:26 AM
I'm pretty certain North America is the only market where quattro outsells fronttrack models. When traveling to Europe, most Audi's tended to be FWD version (A3, A4, and A6).

Here, too.

That is, FWD models far outsell quattro models within the same range.

Champ

Are you guys saying they should drop FWD all-together?  Or offer all 3?  Seems like that would drive prices up to be given that many choices.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: omicron on October 10, 2007, 08:28:45 AM
Here, too.

They sell mostly quattro, or fronttrack? I can't tell which statement you were agreeing with.  :tounge: