Post your driveway/garage/carpark!

Started by TheIntrepid, October 05, 2007, 07:09:53 AM

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2007, 12:26:54 PM
I have to say; that's kind of strange.  Were they not getting along with him?

They just didn't think about it at the time.  Life was rushed and he was their first child to go to college.  They had a 5, 6, and a 7 year old to take care of and it just slipped.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

Holy crap, how much of an age difference is there between you and your brother?

the Teuton

I'm the youngest at the ripe old age of 20.  My oldest brother is 35.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Here are a few more pictures of the house and property:

This first one is the front of the house from the side opposite the garage:

This next one is the back of the house:

The next two are the back yard from 2 different angles:

This one is the back deck (which will need to be replaced soon):

This last one is the front yard and the street, taken from the front/side yard on the opposite side from the garage:

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Freaking awesome house.  I like oldies much better than houses made of fiberboard like most new ones.  I just hate old fashioned insulation.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on October 28, 2007, 01:22:16 PM
Freaking awesome house.  I like oldies much better than houses made of fiberboard like most new ones.  I just hate old fashioned insulation.

Thanks man.

You're right about old fashioned insulation.  It's an inefficient and expensive house to heat, but at least I'm able to keep all the rooms comfortable.

For the area, my house is about the average age -- 67 years old, built in 1940.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Oh, wow - great house. I have that exact same siding ("raked" cedar shingles). I don't know if you've done any repairs, but that stuff is extremely expensive.

I had my house of similar vintage and construction (1929) completely (re)insulated last year. I had nothing in the walls and crawl, only only a little in the attic.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on October 28, 2007, 02:11:04 PM
Oh, wow - great house. I have that exact same siding ("raked" cedar shingles). I don't know if you've done any repairs, but that stuff is extremely expensive.

I had my house of similar vintage and construction (1929) completely (re)insulated last year. I had nothing in the walls and crawl, only only a little in the attic.

Thanks man.  I know the cedar shingles are expensive, but luckily I haven't needed to do any repairs.  They've been kept very well maintained over the years, and I've only had to paint them.

How did you insulate your house?  Did they have to rip out walls (I assume not), or did they blow it in from the outside?

My house actually has insulation; it's just not that great.  The worst room is the den (the room off on the right in the picture taken from the front of the house).  It's a very drafty room.  Because the house has wings, and isn't just a box, the heating is inefficient.  My office is over an unheated space (the garage), and is part of a separate wing with three exposed sides, so I had to put a supplemental heating system in that room because it was frigid in cold weather.  The den is also exposed on 3 sides and loaded with windows, and it also has a supplemental system.  Both supplemental systems are hot water baseboard, while the rest of the house is hot air vents.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2007, 02:18:58 PM
How did you insulate your house?  Did they have to rip out walls (I assume not), or did they blow it in from the outside?

Yep, for the walls they did blow-in from the outside. It was a contractor I made sure removed siding and THEN drilled the access holes. I've seen houses where in contractors simply drilled access holes right through the shingles.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on October 28, 2007, 02:30:53 PM
Yep, for the walls they did blow-in from the outside. It was a contractor I made sure removed siding and THEN drilled the access holes. I've seen houses where in contractors simply drilled access holes right through the shingles.

I imagine that cost a lot.  But drilling through the shingles would have been a disaster.

Greg told me he thought my house would look better with clapboard.  I'm not sure if I agree; it's hard for me to visualize how it would look different.  It's not something I had thought about before.  In any case, my attitude is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so the cedar shingles will definitely stay as long as they're in good condition.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Raza  on October 28, 2007, 12:09:57 PM
I haven't been to Connecticut in a few years, and last time I was there I don't recall seeing any.  And there are no houses that hue near my house, nor anywhere I generally go.  Sure, you get stucco and those other lame semi-yellow colors out there, but nothing so vibrant as yours.

My house is off white or semi-yellow :praise:

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 28, 2007, 03:23:54 PM
My house is off white or semi-yellow :praise:

Beautiful house, Charlie.  I see you also have a cedar roof.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2007, 01:30:48 PM
Thanks man.

You're right about old fashioned insulation.  It's an inefficient and expensive house to heat, but at least I'm able to keep all the rooms comfortable.

For the area, my house is about the average age -- 67 years old, built in 1940.

My house was built in 1938 and the heating can be pretty inefficient too. The room above our garage also has a supplemental heating system. When that's off and the door is shut, it is usually about 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2007, 03:26:07 PM
Beautiful house, Charlie.  I see you also have a cedar roof.

Thanks! Yeah, we switched over from the standard black (not really sure what material that is) 5ish years ago. I like the look of the cedar roof much better.

CJ

We're not allowed to have a cedar roof in this state.  Something about fire hazards...

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on October 28, 2007, 03:05:52 PM
I imagine that cost a lot.  But drilling through the shingles would have been a disaster.

Greg told me he thought my house would look better with clapboard.  I'm not sure if I agree; it's hard for me to visualize how it would look different.  It's not something I had thought about before.  In any case, my attitude is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so the cedar shingles will definitely stay as long as they're in good condition.

Actually, it was only about $4,000. My house is single story, and only about 1,300 square feet however.

Changing siding would be a major ordeal I'd think. At least with my house, there's both an inner and outer shingles, and both are nailed to horizontal stringers. As a result, the window sills, door frames, and the like, stand off the that much more from the base wall material (6" tongue and groove).

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SaltyDog

Great house Dazzle!  The property looks nicely private too :rockon:  The only thing I would want to do is paint the shutters black...I've always loved the yellow/black combo for some reason.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 28, 2007, 03:27:22 PM
My house was built in 1938 and the heating can be pretty inefficient too. The room above our garage also has a supplemental heating system. When that's off and the door is shut, it is usually about 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house.

Any room over an unheated space is a problem, especially if it has exposure on three sides.

I put a supplemental system in my office last year, and it works great.  I'm very happy I did it.  The room is now perfectly comfortable.

dazzleman

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 28, 2007, 03:53:56 PM
Great house Dazzle!  The property looks nicely private too :rockon:  The only thing I would want to do is paint the shutters black...I've always loved the yellow/black combo for some reason.

Thanks man.  The property is pretty private.  My aunt jokes that I could walk around naked in my yard and nobody would be able to see.  I don't think it's THAT private, but it does have a great feel.

It's less private in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.  But on the flip side, I have a great view of the golf course in the winter, but it's blocked by all the trees in the summer.

As for the shutters, I was thinking about black shutters the next time I paint, but for now I'm done...

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on October 28, 2007, 03:45:43 PM
Actually, it was only about $4,000. My house is single story, and only about 1,300 square feet however.

Changing siding would be a major ordeal I'd think. At least with my house, there's both an inner and outer shingles, and both are nailed to horizontal stringers. As a result, the window sills, door frames, and the like, stand off the that much more from the base wall material (6" tongue and groove).

There's no way I'm changing the siding until I absolutely have to.

dazzleman

rohan

These were taken not very long after I painted the floor right around Halloween.

The big mower is Tony's and the little one is mine- I like his better.  :lol:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

This is not my driveway but I just want to show you guys how small some of the garages are in Germany.

See that Peugeot 306 in that garage? That's a pretty small car...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Quote from: rohan on January 25, 2009, 07:06:18 AM
These were taken not very long after I painted the floor right around Halloween.

Damn.  I love the gloss on the floor.  I painted mine a beige color a few years back, and not suprisingly, it always looks dirty.  What's worse, is that it's already starting to peel. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

My carpark is a narrow street in the heart of college district.  I don't think I need to post pictures of it.

rohan

Quote from: Submariner on January 25, 2009, 10:30:59 AM
Damn.  I love the gloss on the floor.  I painted mine a beige color a few years back, and not suprisingly, it always looks dirty.  What's worse, is that it's already starting to peel. 
If you used the Valspar brand they say if it peels just get a new kit and lightly sand down the area that;'s peeling then re-do that area.  Don't know if that'll work but I'm sure I'm gonna find out in a few years.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Submariner

Quote from: rohan on January 25, 2009, 10:47:25 AM
If you used the Valspar brand they say if it peels just get a new kit and lightly sand down the area that;'s peeling then re-do that area.  Don't know if that'll work but I'm sure I'm gonna find out in a few years.

I forget what brand it was.  I may have the cans lying around somewhere.  There is a service locally that does it professionally, and they don't charge much more than what I paid to do it myself.  I may give them a call soon.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

dazzleman

Great garage Randy.  Mine is considerably more cramped.  Your car is the exact color that mine is, only it's much cleaner in that picture than mine currently is.

280Z Turbo

Who backs into their own garage?

You must be a fan of delayed gratification. :lol: