This kind of sucks

Started by Vinsanity, October 08, 2007, 04:23:37 PM

SVT_Power

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 11:32:04 PM
well after perusing through autotrader, it looks like G35's have the lowest mileage for my price range, but I'm definitely liking the idea of a Volvo for my next car. They seriously do have the best seats my ass has had the pleasure of test-sitting. Heck, they'd have me sold at the phrase "whiplash protection" :ohyeah:

really going after the safety portion now? Watch you'll never have a crash ever again in your life :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

Better to be safe than sorry.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: M_power on October 08, 2007, 11:34:00 PM
really going after the safety portion now? Watch you'll never have a crash ever again in your life :lol:

hey, if buying a soccer mom car will somehow keep large vehicles from plowing me into other large vehicles, then pack up junior's soccer gear and call me Shirley :mask:

but really, who knows what I'll be thinking when I have the insurance check in my hand

omicron

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 04:44:25 PM
Interesting. Everyone I talked to (paramedic, insurance people) seemed surprised that the driver airbag didn't deploy. Something to do with additional whiplash? I did get a small bruise on my scalp right where my hairline begins from hitting my forehead on the steering wheel.

Then you wouldn't have wanted the airbag to fire - I don't imagine it would have been very comfortable to have the airbag fire into your face as your head was thrown forwards. A bruise on the head is better than what might have been.

Good to hear you're OK. :ohyeah: Car crashes can be quite traumatic experiences.

Champ

the Teuton

Are you used shopping still?  If not, it might be worth it to go check out a Saab 9-3 XWD.  It looks like an amazing, yet safe car, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Champ

Quote from: the Teuton on October 09, 2007, 09:13:18 AM
Are you used shopping still?  If not, it might be worth it to go check out a Saab 9-3 XWD.  It looks like an amazing, yet safe car, too.
XWD doesn't come out for a little while, and XWD isn't available in the top down form. (I saw he thought about verts).  Although the 2008's are at a few lots now.

If you are thinking Audi vert, the 9-3 Aero vert is still a good choice - always has gotton much praise from road tests and has a higher safety rating than the Audi.

Vinsanity

well it looks like the A4 convertible doesn't have very good crash-test ratings at all. how bout that. But the 9-3 convertible has excellent ratings. I'm not looking strictly for a convertible, but if I were to get a Saab, it would be a droptop

deesea

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 09, 2007, 03:31:26 PM
well it looks like the A4 convertible doesn't have very good crash-test ratings at all. how bout that. But the 9-3 convertible has excellent ratings. I'm not looking strictly for a convertible, but if I were to get a Saab, it would be a droptop

what year is the A4 cab?
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

Raghavan

Sounds like you need an S2000. :devil:

Minpin

Screw this nanny A4 BS and get a c6 vette. A real mans car.  :lol: :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

MaxPower

out of curiosity, how does the insurance handle this situation?  do they consider it as one accident, where the excursion is responsible for the damage to both cars, or is it two separate incidents, where the first accident is the excursion hitting you and the second accident is you hitting the vehicle in front of you?

Seeing as the excursion caused all of the damage conventional wisdom might think that he'd be responsible for the cars he hit and those damaged by extension and it would be viewed as one event.  But, I can see his insurance company trying to mitigate their losses by claiming that your insurance is responsible for the car you were forced into (adding insult to injury for you!)

Minpin

Quote from: MaxPower on October 09, 2007, 08:02:55 PM
out of curiosity, how does the insurance handle this situation?  do they consider it as one accident, where the excursion is responsible for the damage to both cars, or is it two separate incidents, where the first accident is the excursion hitting you and the second accident is you hitting the vehicle in front of you?

Seeing as the excursion caused all of the damage conventional wisdom might think that he'd be responsible for the cars he hit and those damaged by extension and it would be viewed as one event.  But, I can see his insurance company trying to mitigate their losses by claiming that your insurance is responsible for the car you were forced into (adding insult to injury for you!)

Excursion pays for all damage.

MaxPower

that's good...I'd heard of chain accidents (2-3 cars) where the result was each contact was viewed as its own incident

That settled, if Vin can prove willful wanton recklessness on the part of the excursion he can sue for punitive damages! :evildude:

J86

Quote from: MaxPower on October 09, 2007, 08:28:32 PM
that's good...I'd heard of chain accidents (2-3 cars) where the result was each contact was viewed as its own incident

That settled, if Vin can prove willful wanton recklessness on the part of the excursion he can sue for punitive damages! :evildude:

Civil suit, burden of proof ain't too high... tort of negligence... call an ambulance chaser!!

TheIntrepid

Unfortunately in Ontario if that happens, Vin would be punished for "being too close" to the car in front of him. Unfair as it is, according to Ontario law, you hit someone from behind it's automatically your fault.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Minpin

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 09, 2007, 08:30:12 PM
Unfortunately in Ontario if that happens, Vin would be punished for "being too close" to the car in front of him. Unfair as it is, according to Ontario law, you hit someone from behind it's automatically your fault.

You would never be prosecuted for that. It would be the other car's fault.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Minpin on October 09, 2007, 08:34:43 PM
You would never be prosecuted for that. It would be the other car's fault.

In Ontario you would. The Excursion would get the majority of the anal rapeage, but Vin would get a bit as well.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 09, 2007, 08:35:45 PM
In Ontario you would. The Excursion would get the majority of the anal rapeage, but Vin would get a bit as well.

That still doesn't sound right:

1. Have you ever seen a video of how far a 3500-lb sedan gets thrown when struck by a 3-ton SUV at 30-40 mph? pretty far.

2. If my car weren't in the way, the Expedition in front of me would have suffered pretty major damage from the runaway Excursion. I don't think I would need a professional personal injury shark to convice a jury that my car "softened the blow" to the vehicle in front of me

Northlands

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 09, 2007, 08:30:12 PM

This is exactly how it works in Manitoba as well. You could be 15 ft behind another car. and if your are in a small car and some monstrous vehicle plows into you, causing you to move ahead that far, and even love tapping the vehicle in front, you are responsible for the vehicle ahead. Retarded, but true.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Northlands on October 09, 2007, 08:44:06 PM
This is exactly how it works in Manitoba as well. You could be 15 ft behind another car. and if your are in a small car and some monstrous vehicle plows into you, causing you to move ahead that far, and even love tapping the vehicle in front, you are responsible for the vehicle ahead. Retarded, but true.

You're all the way in Manitoba? I thought you were in Ontario for some reason.

Minpin

You looney Canadians. That's just a silly silly law. How does it help anyone? You get in trouble for sitting at a red light minding your own business and pay the price for having a dumbass smack into you? Sounds like Canadian politicians didn't have anything better to do on a rainy Sunday...

Raza

That's like charging a man with vandalism for bleeding after being shot.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Actually in the US they will get you for that too. My friends Accord was hit from the back and he was too close to the car in front of him and he got in trouble for it.

Raghavan

Quote from: Onslaught on October 09, 2007, 09:27:54 PM
Actually in the US they will get you for that too. My friends Accord was hit from the back and he was too close to the car in front of him and he got in trouble for it.

Yeah but in Vin's case he could've been a couple of car lengths away from the person in front of him and still hit him.

SVT32V

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2007, 07:39:23 PM

Or I could just get an S80 so you guys could make a thread with 5 pages full of comical non-sequiturs :nutty:

Even though I am a big fan of the S60R, doesn't the TL have a better crash rating?

Vinsanity

Quote from: SVT32V on October 11, 2007, 02:01:29 PM
Even though I am a big fan of the S60R, doesn't the TL have a better crash rating?

no, the Volvo still has better IIHS crash ratings:

Acura TL:
front: good
side: good
rear: marginal

Volvo S60:
front: good
side: acceptable
rear: good