Canadian Driver: 2008 WRX

Started by SVT666, October 10, 2007, 03:00:30 PM

SVT666

CANADIAN DRIVER
October 10, 2007

Test Drive: 2008 Subaru WRX hatchback

Review and photos by Chris Chase

Ottawa, Ontario - The first-generation Subaru WRX was an easy car to make excuses for. If someone told you your WRX was no good because it was small/funny-looking/unrefined, you could simply counter by saying none of that stuff mattered because the WRX was so quick.

Nonetheless, the 2008 WRX is now a little closer to being a no excuses alternative to other cars that ostensibly compete in the same price bracket - cars like the VW GTI and entry-level versions of the BMW 3 Series and Audi A4.

The end result of the 2008 redesign is a car that behaves a lot like its older sibling, the Legacy GT. Where the old WRX was a little rough around the edges, this new one is far slicker in how it operates. The familiar thrum of the horizontally-opposed engine is there, but noise from under the hood is more muted and only becomes apparent in hard acceleration. Road noise is also much-reduced compared to the old WRX.

One thing that hasn't changed is the urgency with which the WRX accelerates. Hammer the gas in first gear and pay attention! Like so many high-performance cars, you'll hit the rev limiter before you get a chance to shift to second. There seems to be a bit of turbo lag here, though, as the car takes a second to wake up if you punch the throttle when the motor's spinning below 2,000 r.p.m. Once the blower comes on line, though, there's lots of torque to take advantage of.

A little disappointing was the feel of the manual shifter in my test car, which was ropy and unsatisfying to use. It feels like Subaru was trying to emulate a BMW shifter: the long lever and longish throws feel about right, but the Subie shifter lacks the precise, positive action of the Bimmer 'boxes. The clutch, however, is buttery smooth and easy to modulate for smooth launches.

Like acceleration, braking is strong and the brakes are also easy to modulate, but the pedal is soft, which takes away from the sporty feel that a car like the WRX should have. Subaru should have talked to the engineers who put together the Pontiac Solstice GXP I drove the week previous to the WRX. Drive the Subaru long enough and you'll get used to the soft brakes, but my main problem with the mushy pedal was that it makes heel-and-toe downshifts difficult.

The new WRX greets driver and passengers with a new interior, but in many respects, not a lot has changed. The centre stack is still a boxy affair, but the main difference is the rest of the dash, which takes on a swoopy look reminiscent of the interior of Subaru's Tribeca SUV. I don't love the new look - I'm not sure the mix of right angles and organic curves works - but functionally it's fine. The HVAC controls are nice and chunky, if a little low on the dash; it's the better-placed radio controls that are less user-friendly, with small volume and tuning knobs and close-set buttons that look like they'd tough to use while wearing winter gloves. And Subaru must figure most WRX buyers either aren't after a sweet stereo or would prefer to kit the sound system out themselves, because the stock system sounds like crap, quite frankly. At least my tester had the $500 satellite radio option.

If the stereo had my ears begging for mercy, the rest of the interior generated no complaints. The front seats are great, offering no adjustable lumbar support but requiring none, either. My wife, she of the touchy lower back, found her chair very comfortable for trips ranging from grocery store jaunts to a nearly three-hour drive for a weekend of camping.

Speaking of camping, that's when the WRX's mix of performance and practicality - something it's always possessed - impressed me. Lots of room in the car for our gear, and also for us: without the optional sunroof, there's loads of headroom up front, and even rear seat passengers get treated pretty well, too. The interior felt roomier, too, than that of the larger Legacy, with what seemed like similar rear seat legroom and better space in the front seats. Certainly, there's more people space here than in the old Impreza. Cargo-wise, my only beef is with the rather high cargo floor, necessitated by the driveline components that live under there, just behind the rear seat. While cargo space is adequate, there's a lot more room in the back of a Mazda3 Sport. I cannot, however, complain about how the rear seats fold perfectly flat to create an impressive-looking amount of cargo space for large loads.

Another comparison with the Legacy can be made in the ride department. Where the turbocharged Legacy GT rides firm and can be harsh over rough roads, the WRX actually feels like the better road warrior in terms of ride comfort. In relaxed driving, the softer ride makes the WRX feel grown up, even a little like your dad's daily driver. Rest assured, though, that any comparisons between the two end as soon as you tackle your first on ramp in the Subaru. There's some body roll - it's far from excessive - but once the car takes a set in a curve it hangs on tight and feels very nicely balanced. There's some truth to those ads for this car that portray it as a German wannabe: the balance between ride comfort and capable handling reminds me a lot of an all-wheel drive GTI with lots more horsepower.

The old WRX looked better (at least in my opinion) and many might bemoan the loss of that car's spunkier demeanor. But progress in the auto business means that new models have to be an improvement over their predecessors, and the new WRX certainly succeeds in this regard. Couple that with a lower price tag - the 2008 WRX hatch's $33,895 MSRP is $1,700 cheaper than its 2007 counterpart's - and this car asks the question: why make excuses for the car, when you can just make the car better?

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 10, 2007, 03:00:30 PM
And Subaru must figure most WRX buyers either aren't after a sweet stereo or would prefer to kit the sound system out themselves, because the stock system sounds like crap, quite frankly.
I laughed out loud when I read that.

SVT666

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 10, 2007, 03:08:26 PM
You read the article in 30 seconds?

No. I agree with everything to do with the new WRX. Freaking awesome car.

SVT666

TheIntrepid

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 10, 2007, 03:09:59 PM
No. I agree with everything to do with the new WRX. Freaking awesome car.

why because it's more isolated and softer than ever before?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 10, 2007, 09:46:46 PM
why because it's more isolated and softer Camry-like than ever before?

:lol: fixed
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FordSVT

Noticeable turbo lag? Ropey shifter? Owners complain about only TWO THINGS for five years and they're the two things Subaru leaves alone.

And I know it's been said and said again and done to death, but it really does look like a Mazda 3 5-door with a different grill and hood.

I stopped to look at some "normal" Impreza sedans on the lot the other day. Talk about homely looking things. The old car wasn't beautiful but it was functional looking and it was acceptable. This is so... "me too".

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 10, 2007, 03:07:53 PM
I laughed out loud when I read that.

My car has an 80 watt stereo with 4 speakers that have paper cones.  That was 1993.  Other than the addition of two more speakers, not much has really changed, to be honest.  It's because the boxer sounds better than anything on the radio anyway.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Meh, 2008 Impreza sales helped promote record September sales for Subaru, so it can't be all bad.  Plus drivers of the 2001-2007 cars who test drive the new ones come away generally very pleased, if that gives you any idea of the comparison between the two.  One guy at NASIOC claimed it turned in as well as his 05 with 22mm sway bars, which is a significant claim to make.  Sharp turn-in plus more ride comfort is a very difficult balance to achieve.

HurricaneSteve

It's a more balanced car and there's only one WRX owner on this site so obviously the old one wasn't good enough to be purchased to begin with, right? Subaru is bringing more people to the showroom floor while retaining the old car's performance. Why are people complaining again?

FordSVT

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on October 11, 2007, 12:05:32 AM
It's a more balanced car and there's only one WRX owner on this site so obviously the old one wasn't good enough to be purchased to begin with, right? Subaru is bringing more people to the showroom floor while retaining the old car's performance. Why are people complaining again?

You could say the exact same thing about all the people bitching about the new M3.

SVT666

Quote from: FordSVT on October 11, 2007, 10:28:15 AM
You could say the exact same thing about all the people bitching about the new M3.
I think people remember old cars as being a lot better then they actually are.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 11, 2007, 10:37:31 AM
I think people remember old cars as being a lot better then they actually are.

Bingo!

Everyone raves about the E30 M3, which was certainly a nice car, but it's
nothing compared with the current slew of performance cars.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on October 11, 2007, 11:06:02 AM
Bingo!

Everyone raves about the E30 M3, which was certainly a nice car, but it's
nothing compared with the current slew of performance cars.

While slower, it was certainly more homoligated to its roots than any car this side of a Porsche 911 GT3.  People liked it because it was a purely performance machine with no frills and almost nothing in common with any other car, 3er or not, on the road.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on October 11, 2007, 11:27:57 AM
While slower, it was certainly more homoligated to its roots than any car this side of a Porsche 911 GT3.  People liked it because it was a purely performance machine with no frills and almost nothing in common with any other car, 3er or not, on the road.

+1

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on October 10, 2007, 10:05:24 PM
My car has an 80 watt stereo with 4 speakers that have paper cones.  That was 1993.  Other than the addition of two more speakers, not much has really changed, to be honest.  It's because the boxer sounds better than anything on the radio anyway.

If I'm not mistaken, the Impreza is still using a 4 speaker stereo unless you get the premium package, which bumps the speaker count to 10.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on October 11, 2007, 03:01:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Impreza is still using a 4 speaker stereo unless you get the premium package, which bumps the speaker count to 10.

Then it is very likely that the new Impreza uses an almost identical stereo setup to my lovely, little car.

On another note, I guess my two biggest gripes with the car besides ambiguous styling are narrower tires (205/50/17 vs. 215/45/17 on the outgoing model) and 2 pots/1 pot brakes instead of 4/2 from the last model.  I just saw another Impreza sedan today and it looked like a Saturn LS with a truncated trunk from the back end.  I have yet to see a hatch in person.

S204STi

The brakes are fine.  They are upgraded in size, and that's what matters.  The four-piston brakes didn't stop any better, they were just easier to modulate.  I've driven older RSs with the 2pot front/ 1pot rears, and they were great.  These new ones should be even better.  Also, skinnier tire are better in inclement weather, FWIW. 

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 11, 2007, 08:45:48 PM
Then it is very likely that the new Impreza uses an almost identical stereo setup to my lovely, little car.

On another note, I guess my two biggest gripes with the car besides ambiguous styling are narrower tires (205/50/17 vs. 215/45/17 on the outgoing model) and 2 pots/1 pot brakes instead of 4/2 from the last model.  I just saw another Impreza sedan today and it looked like a Saturn LS with a truncated trunk from the back end.  I have yet to see a hatch in person.

When I saw an Impreza sedan, I thought it was a beaten up Corolla!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on October 13, 2007, 02:38:10 PM
When I saw an Impreza sedan, I thought it was a beaten up Corolla!

When I saw a Cayman, I thought Michael Moore sat on a Beetle!

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 13, 2007, 02:40:42 PM
When I saw a Cayman, I thought Michael Moore sat on a Beetle!

That was as funny as your Iwo Jima joke.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

the Teuton

Anyone else see TGTV when Jeremy Clarkson showed the teaser pic of the STI?  LOL

S204STi

the Teuton

S204STi

Read in EVO magazine today that the WRX will in fact be sold in Europe after all, though apparently in "limited numbers" whatever that means.  It will get the 2.5l motor and 226hp.  It's priced at just under 20,000 pounds.

the Teuton

Why would you sell the WRX in ricer America who has just Travis Pastrana while Europe is the rally capital of the world.  That wouldn't make too much sense to me.