Yet another impossibly ugly Honda concept

Started by sandertheshark, October 11, 2007, 05:05:19 PM

sandertheshark

Behold and despair:

(from Honda Press Release) ?PUYO? is a Japanese onomatopoeia that expresses the sensation of touching the vehicle?s soft body. It is meant to convey a warm, friendly impression.

The PUYO represents a new idea in mobility that brings together ?clean?, ?safe? and ?fun? functionality in an environmentally responsible, people-friendly minimalist design featuring an ultra-high efficiency, small frame and fuel cell technology to please both users and onlookers alike.

Exterior design

The development theme for the PUYO exterior was to create a cornerless, ?Seamless Soft Box? form that is kind to both people and the environment. The goal was to create a personable design with the feel of an adorable pet, while taking advantage of the maximum spaciousness of the box-shaped design. The PUYO?s ?gel body? features soft materials to promote greater real-world safety. Moreover, the body has been made luminescent to guide people into the proper operating position and notify them of the vehicle?s condition, facilitating a more intimate relationship between people and their cars.

Interior design

Developed to have a ?Silky Feel?, the PUYO?s interior is designed to provide a refreshing, people-friendly space imbued with a feeling of transparency. Features such as an instrument panel monitor, controls that take advantage of the elastic qualities of cloth to rise up when the vehicle starts up, luminous fluid meter displays, and a joystick for intuitive operation are all designed to gently support occupants? senses and sensibilities.

"Puyo" sounds like it would be a more accurate and appropriate onomatopoeia for vomit.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raghavan on October 11, 2007, 05:14:48 PM
ODD.

Intentionally so.

From time to time our preconceived notions of what a car is and what one should look like must be challenged, or we may as well give up on the idea of automotive styling altogether.

This is an experiment, nothing more.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Northlands

It looks like a boob on wheels.

"Japanese onomatopoeia that expresses the sensation of touching the vehicle?s soft body"

:mask:  :pullover:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 11, 2007, 05:05:43 PM
Dear me. Why do they even bother?

It's not a styling concept. It's a Technology concept.

thewizard16

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thewizard16 on October 11, 2007, 10:47:50 PM
That's interesting. Why?

Look at the front fascia alone. Not only is this a highly complex shpaede one-piece molding, but the headlights actually shine through it, so it must be highly translucent at least at certain places.

Making a piece like that can help to develop manufacturing techniques that will gain Honda an edge a few years into the future.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

jayeshks

Makes me want to play puyo puyo fever on my dreamcast again

S204STi

Quote from: Northlands on October 11, 2007, 07:44:21 PM
It looks like a boob on wheels.

"Japanese onomatopoeia that expresses the sensation of touching the vehicle’s soft body"

:mask:  :pullover:

So basically it's a tit that we're supposed to grope?

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

As stupid as it looks from the outside, that view from inside must be incredible.

And I thought Discos had a lot of window space.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ChrisV

It's very Japanese, with an aesthetic that is decidedly non-Western. They have a completely different outlook on what machinery is supposed to be/do/feel like. Even though it's not an "enthusiast" vehicle, it's an interesting take on a basic commuter appliance, and a really interesting development of technology. Imagine a soft form sports car that could maybe change it's shape depending on what it's doing...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

jayeshks

Wait, so if you get hit by one, will it feel like a massage?

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide