That New Nissan thing.

Started by gasoline, October 16, 2007, 10:23:12 AM

Minpin

I hate this car. I really really hate it. The exterior is all wrong and the interior looks like a GM job when they were at their worst. Hopefully it will grow on me though because I want to like it but as of right now I just don't like anything about it.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2007, 07:51:31 PM
0-60 in 3.5 seconds?  I'll believe it when I see it several times in real world tests.

It'll probably be more like 2.9 seconds in the real world.  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2007, 07:51:31 PM
0-60 in 3.5 seconds?  I'll believe it when I see it several times in real world tests.

oookkk, anyway with this type of a car there is probobly a varience of upto a half a second in the launch control. I'm sure the car is capable of such times, given an agressive launch control program.

Quote from: Minpin on October 16, 2007, 07:53:16 PM
I hate this car. I really really hate it. The exterior is all wrong and the interior looks like a GM job when they were at their worst. Hopefully it will grow on me though because I want to like it but as of right now I just don't like anything about it.

As someone who looks at a GM interior at its worst every day, I can say that GTR interior looks nothing like a bad GM interior.  Look at all the stitched leather where the knees hit the dash under cornering, the suede inserts on the seats, the  integration of the metal bits. The HVAC controls are simple to use knobs instead of the needlessly complex buttons system my Z06 uses (half of z06vette.com still haven't figured it out yet), those special AWD and suspension switches look exquisite.  It is an interior built completely for function rather than style.  All the useless style bits have been done away with in the pursuit of uncluttered driver + machine interface.  In that respect the interior is like the exterior, form follows function, rather than the other way around as is often the case today.  That is, and always has been the beauty of the GTR's.

FlatBlackCaddy

Speaking of the switches, can anyone make out them out.

The middle is obviously a suspesion setting, all of them have an R at the top.

FlatBlackCaddy

Well i'll do my best guess.

The switches look like they are electronic, with the neutral position shown in the pictures. Toggle up or down(and return to center). There are lights about the lower setting and upper setting. I'm going to guess that there is a "middle Position" were neither option would be selected, basically a normal setting. It looks like to select normal you would push the switch in.

Left side appears to be AWD setting, lower selection is snow, upper is R(race). Default i assume would be normal(why would you be limited to race or snow, there has to be a normal).

Center is suspension, lower selection looks like comf(comfort), upper is Race default would just be a standard setting.

Far right looks to be Traction control, lower selection is off, upper is Race default is "engaged" with probobly street drivability in mind.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 08:26:11 PM
Speaking of the switches, can anyone make out them out.

The middle is obviously a suspesion setting, all of them have an R at the top.

Well judging from this picture.

The first one looks to be some kind of AWD setting.  And it seems to say R or Snow. I'm thus pretty sure this switch can put the AWD system into snow mode (kinda like the G35x).   R mode sounds like it's a rip off of BMW's M mode.  It might be something you can set in the onboard computer.

The middle one is definitely suspension, and it looks like a choice between R mode or COMF, probably comfort.

The last one is a bit puzzling.  It looks to be a wheel, and it's got R mode and Off.  This I'm not so sure about.  It could be VDC or active steering or rear active steering.

That actually seems to be a rather limited number of gizmos, until one remembers all the switches on the steering wheel.  It seems Nissan has moved the gizmos off the dash and console, and onto the steering wheel.

S204STi

I think you're correct, that makes complete sense.

FlatBlackCaddy

I agree 565, though i think you missed a possible middle setting.

No car would offer snow mode and race mode there would have to be a normal.

Anyway i thought of the steering wheel and iirc it was the first thing i looked at and noticed it has no technowizadry(like a ferrari knob).

Minpin

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 08:39:22 PM

Anyway i thought of the steering wheel and iirc it was the first thing i looked at and noticed it has no technowizadry(like a ferrari knob).

I'm fairly certain it says SNOW on it. It's either snow or slow, and I doubt this car would have a setting called slow? Or would it?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Minpin on October 16, 2007, 08:43:53 PM
I'm fairly certain it says SNOW on it. It's either snow or slow, and I doubt this car would have a setting called slow? Or would it?

I said snow, but thats my point. You don't have just 2 options, snow setting or race setting there should be a normal.

S204STi

I think he meant that no car would offer snow and race mode, but no middle setting.

FlatBlackCaddy

Sidenote. i could have swore i saw a pic that showed all the buttons on the steering wheel. Now i can't find it.

Minpin

After 565's comment responding to my original post here I have since gone back and looked through the pictures. I guess I can see beauty in the sense that it is designed to drive fast and such but based solely on these pictures so far I think I would still rather have a R8 or carrera s. I'd like to see a test of those three and a z06 really soon though!  :lol:

Minpin

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 08:45:22 PM
I said snow, but thats my point. You don't have just 2 options, snow setting or race setting there should be a normal.

Oh, misinterpreted your post, my bad.

Onslaught

I like it more from some angles than others. But all in all it's one bad ass car. Can't wait until one of our sales men wreaks one so I can play with it.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 08:39:22 PM

That's interesting that we differed in our guesses on how these switches work.  I kinda figured the switches were the kind where you push them up or down to select, and it spring returns to the normal middle postion. If you want to select the other option, you push it in the other direction, and it will spring back to the middle.  And I figured indicators on the dash or instrument panel indicate what mode you are in. This interpretation removes the middle setting.  I guess your interpretation is that these switches will remain in one of 3 positions that you move them too, which allows for a middle setting.

FlatBlackCaddy

actually we are both right on the money.

I was implying that you move up to select the race setting, upon release it would move back to center(and vice versa for the lower setting) just like how you see them as working. What i am also implying is that you can PUSH the center in to reset the switch to its default normal setting(think of a motercycle turn signal switch, you move it left to initiate the signal and it pops back to center to stop it you push in the center).

Look at the switch, you can see that it moves up and down. It also has a break line that would allow the center to be pushed in.

FlatBlackCaddy

Some images seem to be getting pulled, the autoweek link has the main picture pulled.

Anyway i think i came across a higher res version of this.

which would have allowed me to see the controls. IIRC the left are audio and the right are cruise(though on second thought thats alot of butons for cruise).

I should have saved the pics when i saw them.

Raghavan

It'd be really cool if they could sell this as a RWD car with 300 hp...
Maybe the next Z?

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy

All pretty standard buttons, except the top right thumb button. Looks like "Mrk" on the left and "Start/Stop" on the right. Possibly for a onboard lap timer or something. I'm sure that "carputer" is just crammed with techno goodness.

CALL_911

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 09:35:48 PM
All pretty standard buttons, except the top right thumb button. Looks like "Mrk" on the left and "Start/Stop" on the right. Possibly for a onboard lap timer or something. I'm sure that "carputer" is just crammed with techno goodness.

Just like the R34's. That G-Meter was awesome. Hell, the whole car was awesome.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

I wish i could find the R34 computer and put it in my Z(or EVO), that would be cool.

Whats Up DOHC

Intense...

I would really love to see a "GT2" type variant of this though. RWD, 550HP, variable stability control, ABS, electronically controllable shocks...

Good shyt.

Submariner

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2007, 08:33:02 PM

Well i'll do my best guess.

The switches look like they are electronic, with the neutral position shown in the pictures. Toggle up or down(and return to center). There are lights about the lower setting and upper setting. I'm going to guess that there is a "middle Position" were neither option would be selected, basically a normal setting. It looks like to select normal you would push the switch in.

Left side appears to be AWD setting, lower selection is snow, upper is R(race). Default i assume would be normal(why would you be limited to race or snow, there has to be a normal).

Center is suspension, lower selection looks like comf(comfort), upper is Race default would just be a standard setting.

Far right looks to be Traction control, lower selection is off, upper is Race default is "engaged" with probobly street drivability in mind.

From left to right:

Diff, suspension, launch control?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FlatBlackCaddy

Launch control is possible(for the far right switch). But dont most Dual Clutch transmissions that have launch control just require you to hold the paddle in while you push the gas down, then release?

Anyway one thing we shouldn't forget is that carputer, i'm sure it has some settings for the car in there.

Champ

You guys are nuts about switches.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on October 17, 2007, 09:17:32 AM
You guys are nuts about switches.

It's silly, isn't it?  Nissan should have gotten one multifunction knob to do everything. 

I like switches.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2007, 09:18:23 AM
It's silly, isn't it?  Nissan should have gotten one multifunction knob to do everything. 

I like switches.

One multifunction knob? Nissan iDrive FTL
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)