Affordable car challenge

Started by thewizard16, October 18, 2007, 10:41:10 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 19, 2007, 08:21:21 AM
I know it wasn't addressed to me but...

The timing guides on the first gen Q were known to fail and throw the chain, resulting in a timing belt like engine failure. Valves were bent and complete top end rebuilds would be needed.

To my knowledge this affected the first gen with the 4.5L, i believe the dates are 90-93? The later 4.1 and newest 4.5 don't have any problems.

I had a 1990 q45t, it was Dark metallic grey with a light grey two tone(lower rocker) with grey leather. This was interesting because almost every 1st get Q was pearl white with beige interior, not really my colors.

Anyway fantastic car, felt damn quick. Infiniti fixed a sticker under the hood that claimed 274 or 276 hp at 6200rpm and about 300lb ft of torque. Anyone with basic knowledge of a hp curve would notice after driving the car that the HP peak was more around 6800-7000RPM's. I'm guessing it was slightly underated(gentlemans agreement) and was probobly more around 300-305HP.

I'd buy one of these over any old RWD fullsize vehicle(provided the guides have been replaced). The q45T came with better suspension and a LSD, i loved the looks i got when i would slide that 2 ton bastard around a corner with the tires screaming.:lol:

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. IIRC, the fix would be to replace the plastic guides with metal ones of a better design. You're correct about the years; 90-93 had the chain guide failures. I had a 95, so no worries there (I paid $4 grand and some change for it in 2005, so the one I posted is overpriced). But it probably should've had its differential rebuilt, because it more often than not, it would just furiously spin its inside rear wheel rather than slide its tail out :huh:

and to be honest, it felt roughly as quick as my brother's 03 G35 sedan which is rated at ~16 hp less, but is about 500-600 lbs lighter

etypeJohn

Quote from: The Pirate on October 18, 2007, 01:26:53 PM
I'd be looking at a Pontiac Bonneville or Buick Regal.  Good reliability, even base models are going to have pw, pl, etc. and they'll get close to 30 mpg on the highway.

Edit:  Fixed, though you clowns knew exactly what I meant!   :heated:

Be cautions if you are thinking of a car with the 3.1 L engine.  That engine had intake manifold gasket problems, because of the Dexcool coolant GM specified.  Intake manifold replacement is $500+, or about $100 if you buy the parts and do it yourself.

I bought our son a 1999 Buick Century about 16 months ago.  Its a very nice car for what it is.  With the new struts front and rear, it ahndles fairly well, rides very nicely and has plenty of room.  It's not bad looking but is not really sporty.  Its apretty safe car.   You could do a lot worse.