Bart's 86 SVO restore thread!

Started by BartsSVO, July 01, 2005, 07:37:13 AM

Catman

QuoteOhh....I'm shooting for around 250 hp at the wheels (right now) which would be comperable with my former 99 GT. My best time in that car was a 13.4 @ 102 back in 2001. This car wasn't built for getting out of the hole from a dead standstill so figure it'll probably do 2-3 tenths slower at about the same trap speed. Top speed should be about 160ish.

If its running before I go to Europe in September I'm planning on running it at Talladega at the Georgia Regional Mustang Club outing there the 2nd weekend of October. Part of the course they have laid out is on the oval which should give me a great chance to stretch its legs legally. :D
:rockon:  

Tom

QuoteOhh....I'm shooting for around 250 hp at the wheels (right now) which would be comperable with my former 99 GT. My best time in that car was a 13.4 @ 102 back in 2001. This car wasn't built for getting out of the hole from a dead standstill so figure it'll probably do 2-3 tenths slower at about the same trap speed. Top speed should be about 160ish.

If its running before I go to Europe in September I'm planning on running it at Talladega at the Georgia Regional Mustang Club outing there the 2nd weekend of October. Part of the course they have laid out is on the oval which should give me a great chance to stretch its legs legally. :D
Push that baby to it's high limits and show everyone what a brutally fast beast you have :rockon:  

BartsSVO

New pics up on the 2nd progress page...
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

giant_mtb

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BMWDave

Looking very nice and clean...its quite a cool project.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

footoflead

QuoteLooking very nice and clean...its quite a cool project.
B)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BartsSVO

Thanks guys...it was a pain in the butt, but it looks nice now :)
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

BartsSVO

Ho hum...not much has been going on with the car lately. The motor is more or less done. I have a few minor things to do here and there but nothing of any real interest. I'm just waiting to get the body back from paint so I can fire it up again!! Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen before I leave for Europe in 3 weeks.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

BMWDave

QuoteHo hum...not much has been going on with the car lately. The motor is more or less done. I have a few minor things to do here and there but nothing of any real interest. I'm just waiting to get the body back from paint so I can fire it up again!! Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen before I leave for Europe in 3 weeks.
Cool B)  The pictures of when its done will be on the website, right? :)

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

QuoteHo hum...not much has been going on with the car lately. The motor is more or less done. I have a few minor things to do here and there but nothing of any real interest. I'm just waiting to get the body back from paint so I can fire it up again!! Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen before I leave for Europe in 3 weeks.
:(  

BartsSVO

Yup. I talked to the owner of the shop and I should have it back in the garage in the next 7-10 days. There is some very minor body work left to be done and the engine compartment prepped. He definately wants to make sure I have it before I leave because he doesn't want it sitting there for the 3 weeks I'll be gone anymore than I do, mainly because he doesn't have the space and secondly because another friend of mine is having his SVO repainted there quite soon.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Catman

BartsSVO

Here's the scoop...

I finally got the car back from the painter the Saturday before I left for Europe, so it has just been sitting in the garage under a car cover for the past 3 weeks. I've been using this weekend to recooperate from whatever I caught in Austria. I'll probably start the arduous process of re-routing the underhood wiring this week.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

BMWDave

QuoteHere's the scoop...

I finally got the car back from the painter the Saturday before I left for Europe, so it has just been sitting in the garage under a car cover for the past 3 weeks. I've been using this weekend to recooperate from whatever I caught in Austria. I'll probably start the arduous process of re-routing the underhood wiring this week.
Cool :)  Keep us informed :)  

2007 Honda S2000

BartsSVO

Sorry for neglecting things for so long.

I haven't had much time to work on the car lately. I've done a little detailing of the engine compartment (I want it to look pretty before I put the motor back in!) but not much else. My plan is to finish that stuff up today and to get the wiring rerouted and the brake lines re-installed. As long as the weather stays kinda warm I should be able to get the motor installed in 2 or 3 weeks. At that point I'll start concentrating on putting the interior back together.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Catman

How about an update? <_<

Why isn't this thread in the garage?  Hmm, maybe I'll move it.....

RS200

So how 'bout another update..one with pics maybe?

I've been thinking about making a progress thread for my supercharged 5.0..would anyone read it?

giant_mtb

QuoteSo how 'bout another update..one with pics maybe?

I've been thinking about making a progress thread for my supercharged 5.0..would anyone read it?
We'd all read it...at least we would everytime you made an update. ;)  :rockon:  

BartsSVO

I've been spending more time in the garage than on the computer lately, hence why I've been pretty lazy updating things.

Drivetrain is in and the motor is fully dressed out minus the power steering pump, which I should be getting in a few days from now. I've been out chasing small wiring issues here and there that cropped up during the interim between when I last ran the car (around April) and the present. I've got an open in the circuit between the clutch safety switch and ignition switch that I'm going to have to rewire tomorrow. I was just going to try to find the break in the harness, but after looking at the tangle of wires I just decided to run a seperate wire. Fuel system is OK, it holds pressure and doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere, I've got spark and the computer is OK. I get this small thing fixed and I should be looking at cranking the motor sometime this week.

With any kind of luck it should be drivable before Christmas. I've still got to reinstall the headlights and taillights and reinstall the brake master cylinder and bleed the brake system. For the time being the interior is going to be rather spartan, just a couple of seats from a 99 V6 that I bought to give me something to plant my rear on until I can get the factory seats recovered. New carpet will probably come in January. I've been having to focus primarily on getting it running since my birthday is tomorrow and I live in an area that requires emissions testing. Needless to say its not happening by then but I need to get it done as soon as possible. I'm just going to cross my fingers that I don't run into any issues breaking in the motor.

Whew...that's alot...more to come soon.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

giant_mtb

J86

Well, happy birthday, same as mine!

BRealistic

Interesting.

IS the Mustang SVO engine similar to the Merkur XR4Ti model?

footoflead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Catman

Man, Barts falling down on the job! :nono:  

footoflead

QuoteMan, Barts falling down on the job! :nono:
:pullover: watch out, cats coming to get you  :pullover:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BartsSVO

Well guys...its running! It actually has been since right before Christmas. With the power steering pump debacle I wasn't able to drive it until the week after.

I'm putting the interior back together now and fighting a couple of oil leaks. Sad to say the one at the back of the engine may require me removing the motor to fix it. I'm having a hard time tracking it down and its so tight between the engine and transmission that I can't get enough light on some spots to see if that's where the oil is coming from. If it were just a slow leak I wouldn't really worry about it, but everytime I go out driving the bottom side of the bellhousing has a film of oil all over it and its getting on the exhaust.

I will be taking pics for mine and others' benefit this afternoon.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Catman

I missed that last update till today.  Hope the oil leak can be fixed with a minimum of work.  How does it run?