My thoughts on a 2008 BMW 328i

Started by VTEC_Inside, October 20, 2007, 07:34:24 PM

VTEC_Inside

Take this for what you will as I only drove the car for about 15min.

Exterior, ho hum... LEDs under the door handles was uber neat though.

Interior is nice and to the point. Materials don't seem particularly special, but executed quite well.

Onto the drive...

I loathe automatics, but the automatic in this car was nothing short of amazing. The "DS" mode might as well have been reading my mind, and the manumatic mode was not far off of driving a manual car.

Steering feel is worth mention. Nothing particularly special once into a corner IMO, but the turn in feeling is something I've never felt before.

Overall ride and handling didn't blow me away as I expected it to, perhaps I ruined it by expecting too much. It definitely handled well, but didn't manage to also subdue bumps in the road as well as the Legacy Spec B I drove a while back.

Power was a bit of disappointment IMO. Perhaps I was fooled by the presentation, but I'm sure my RSX would give it a good run and then some if not at least up to moderately illegal speeds.

I dunno. I really did expect to be a lot more impressed by an almighty BMW especially considering its $50,000 price tag. Alas, while I found it to be a very NICE car, I didn't really walk away from it converted or anything. It would be tough to sell me a car like that for $50,000 especially since despite being catered to the enthusiast they delete the f'in dipstick. I quote the salesman "BMW owners don't check their oil", I would have walked away at that, but it was a friend of mine taking it for a day so...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

93JC

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 20, 2007, 07:34:24 PM
I loathe automatics, but the automatic in this car was nothing short of amazing. The "DS" mode might as well have been reading my mind, and the manumatic mode was not far off of driving a manual car.

General Motors 6L45 ;)

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 20, 2007, 08:12:42 PM
General Motors 6L45 ;)

Actually, they dumped the GM automatics.  They all run ZF six speeds, as I do recall. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

335s use ZFs, but the lower ones use GMs.

Raghavan

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 20, 2007, 08:17:00 PM
335s use ZFs, but the lower ones use GMs.

Are you sure?  I could have sworn they ditched the GM automatic altogether.  The GM is a five speed, right?  The 328i runs a sixer. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on October 20, 2007, 08:22:24 PM
BMW's use GM transmissions?

And up until recently, Jaguar and Porsche used Mercedes transmissions.  I know Jag's running the ZF now (in newer cars), I don't know about Porsches.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2007, 08:25:39 PM
Are you sure?  I could have sworn they ditched the GM automatic altogether.  The GM is a five speed, right?  The 328i runs a sixer. 

No the 6L45 is used in the 328i.  In GM parlance, the number ahead of the letter refers to the number of gears in the tranny.

93JC is right.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on October 20, 2007, 08:22:24 PM
BMW's use GM transmissions?

The automatics in some 3 and 5 series cars from the 90's were Gm transmissions as well.  GM makes a damn good automatic.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on October 20, 2007, 08:27:06 PM

No the 6L45 is used in the 328i.  In GM parlance, the number ahead of the letter refers to the number of gears in the tranny.

93JC is right.

Why run a ZF 6 speed in every car but one, and run someone else's six speed?  That can't be cost effective.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2007, 08:29:09 PM
Why run a ZF 6 speed in every car but one, and run someone else's six speed?  That can't be cost effective.

If the 328 is the volume leader, and the GM tranny costs them significantly less per unit, it could work out.  I'm not sure though, you are more of a numbers guy than me.

It might be a power output issue, but the 6L45 can handle more than 300 ft.lbs. of torque.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on October 20, 2007, 08:34:11 PM
If the 328 is the volume leader, and the GM tranny costs them significantly less per unit, it could work out.  I'm not sure though, you are more of a numbers guy than me.

It might be a power output issue, but the 6L45 can handle more than 300 ft.lbs. of torque.

But if they run the 6L45 on the 328i and the ZF model on their V8 and turbo I6 models, what does the torque capacity of the 6L45 matter?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

It isn't like the 6L45 isn't a good tranny, either.  It's among the smoother out there right now.  Why not use it in a 5er?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2007, 08:42:02 PM
But if they run the 6L45 on the 328i and the ZF model on their V8 and turbo I6 models, what does the torque capacity of the 6L45 matter?

What are the torque levels of the turbo 6 and V8?  It might be above what the 6L45 can handle without self-grenading.  I don't know why they do that, honestly.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on October 20, 2007, 08:45:02 PM

What are the torque levels of the turbo 6 and V8?  It might be above what the 6L45 can handle without self-grenading.  I don't know why they do that, honestly.

300 and 360.  Odd that the horsepower ratings are also 300 and 360 respectively.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2007, 08:26:42 PM
And up until recently, Jaguar and Porsche used Mercedes transmissions.  I know Jag's running the ZF now (in newer cars), I don't know about Porsches.

Porsche has used ZFs for many years. In fact, the only one I can't think of that didn't use a ZF was the 928, which was sourced somewhat from Mercedes-Benz.

Jaguar used GM three- and four-speeds for decades.

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2007, 08:29:09 PM

The 6L45/50 is also used in the X3 and X5.

Submariner

Quote from: 93JC on October 20, 2007, 09:12:00 PM
Porsche has used ZFs for many years. In fact, the only one I can't think of that didn't use a ZF was the 928, which was sourced somewhat from Mercedes-Benz.

Hehe...no wonder my parents jag had so many transmission problems. :tounge:

On a side note, the 5-speed slushie in my BMW is a great box.  I wouldn't call the manumatic feature particularly brilliant, but it is smooth as can be.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 20, 2007, 07:34:24 PM
Take this for what you will as I only drove the car for about 15min.

Exterior, ho hum... LEDs under the door handles was uber neat though.

Interior is nice and to the point. Materials don't seem particularly special, but executed quite well.

Onto the drive...

Steering feel is worth mention. Nothing particularly special once into a corner IMO, but the turn in feeling is something I've never felt before.

Overall ride and handling didn't blow me away as I expected it to, perhaps I ruined it by expecting too much. It definitely handled well, but didn't manage to also subdue bumps in the road as well as the Legacy Spec B I drove a while back.

Power was a bit of disappointment IMO. Perhaps I was fooled by the presentation, but I'm sure my RSX would give it a good run and then some if not at least up to moderately illegal speeds.

I dunno. I really did expect to be a lot more impressed by an almighty BMW especially considering its $50,000 price tag. Alas, while I found it to be a very NICE car, I didn't really walk away from it converted or anything. It would be tough to sell me a car like that for $50,000 especially since despite being catered to the enthusiast they delete the f'in dipstick. I quote the salesman "BMW owners don't check their oil", I would have walked away at that, but it was a friend of mine taking it for a day so...

I feel exactly the same way.  I drove a BMW 325 auto back when my friend was looking at one.  I wasn't blown away.  It was a nice enough car, but I didn't really feel any of the wonderful steering or the amazing ride and handling trade off.  It seemed pretty much on par with it's competitors.  My friend however (who incidently knows absolutely knows nothing about cars and drove a Camry) was totally smitten with it, saying now he understood what those magazines were raving about.

I definitely feel there is an Emperorer's new clothes situation with many people's impression of  BMW's. 

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 20, 2007, 09:12:00 PM

The 996 used Mercedes 5 speeds, I'm almost sure of it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 565 on October 21, 2007, 10:00:24 AM
I feel exactly the same way.  I drove a BMW 325 auto back when my friend was looking at one.  I wasn't blown away.  It was a nice enough car, but I didn't really feel any of the wonderful steering or the amazing ride and handling trade off.  It seemed pretty much on par with it's competitors.  My friend however (who incidently knows absolutely knows nothing about cars and drove a Camry) was totally smitten with it, saying now he understood what those magazines were raving about.

I definitely feel there is an Emperorer's new clothes situation with many people's impression of  BMW's. 

Thank goodness someone else finally sees that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I'm pretty sure some Cadillac's use ZFs as well.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

93JC

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 21, 2007, 11:51:23 AM
I'm pretty sure some Cadillacs use ZFs as well.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single Cadillac that has ever used a non-GM automatic, except the BLS. I don't know what the BLS uses, but I assume it's the same as the Saab 9-3, which uses an Aisin 5-speed.

93JC

TheIntrepid

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid