2007 Ford Mondeo

Started by omicron, October 24, 2007, 09:48:28 AM

omicron

The important bits:

Whether you opt for the five-door hatch or four-door sedan, the first thing that will surprise is the room. Ford says it's not worried about Mondeo eating into Falcon sales but frankly there are few families that will really need more room than the Euro Ford delivers.

Our first 'sit-of-the pants' estimates have the Mondeo offering substantially more room -- especially in terms of useable rear legroom -- than the top-selling midsizer, Camry. It positively dwarfs the likes of Mazda6 and Accord Euro, especially in terms of shoulder room.

Consider that the Camry and Aurion have identical cabin space, and that Toyota markets its Aurion model against the Falcon, and you might understand where we are coming from.

There's also no shortage of luggage room in the sedan's boot or under the big hatchback. The 60:40 splitfold rear seats fold flat thanks to cushions that tumble forward. Sedan buyers take note, however, the 'port' between boot and cabin will limit the height of articles you can 'through-stow.' We'd opt for the hatch purely for the versatility it offers.

At 4778mm overall the hatch is 66mm shorter than the sedan though all other key dimensions are the same. The cars are 1886mm wide and roll on a 2850mm wheelbase. By way of comparison the Camry is a touch longer at 4815mm, but just 1820mm wide and has a 75mm shorter wheelbase.

The Mazda6 (soon to be replaced -- though the new, larger, model still struggles to match the Ford -- more here) and Euro are smaller again. This is no shrinking violet.

Adding to the space is grace: with some qualifications, this is the best Ford interior we've seen in some time -- better than the local product and more 'grown' up than the offerings of the Focus and Fiesta. The dash and door tops feature VW-style premium graining and there has been a general softening of the touch points. Attention to detail includes sculptured door panels that give the car a premium feel.

This feel is best illustrated in the alcantara and leather of the top of the range XR5, but the option of leather in the Zetec adds panache to the interior and even the LX's two-tone 'technical' cloth is more convincing than most.

The front seats are generously sized and offer driver lumbar adjustment even on the base model. The XR5's more bolstered seats hold you better than the standard pews but some of the broader Broadmeadows customers might find them a touch confining.

In the back the bench has been profiled to look like two seats but the centre position is actually quite usable. Thanks to a clever choice of seat foam, we suspect, the centre passenger sinks into the cushion a touch more, rather than sitting up like 'Jackie' as is often the case.

No, the only real grizzle we've got about the interior is the rather down-market choice of silver centre console and centre stack finishes in the LX and Zetec/TDCi levels.

Ford Design centre chief Scott Strong reckons silver's on the way out and we say not soon enough. With barely running-in kilometres on the cars we drove, some already had scratches and blemishes on the none too hardy satin silver centre console finish.

MECHANICAL
The entry-level Mondeo powertrain is Ford's new 2.3-litre Duratec-HE coupled with the Aisin-built Durashift six-speed automatic transmission.

The 16-valve DOHC fuel-injected inline petrol four produces 118 kW at 6500rpm and peak torque of 208Nm at 4200rpm. It features all-alloy construction and variable cam timing (on the inlet cam only). It's calibrated to use 95 RON fuel but is happy with 91 RON, says Ford.

As you'll note below, Ford's focus on the Mondeo powerplants is a wide torque curve, even the atmo 2.3 delivers over 190Nm between 2000-5800rpm. On the road this translates to an eminently drivable package (see more in ON THE ROAD below) and an ADR 81/01 combined fuel figure of 9.5lt/100km. Carbon Dioxide emissions are 227gm/km.

The TDCi's 2.0-litre Duratorq turbodiesel engine is sourced from PSA (Peugeot and Citroen) and is Euro IV compliant featuring a maintenance-free particulate filter and the latest high-pressure common-rail injection technology. Rated at 96 kW, it delivers 320Nm from 1750-2240rpm. It features a cast iron block and alloy head and is again mated to Ford's Durashift six-speed automatic transmission.

The TDCI's claimed combined fuel economy is just 7.3lt/100km with a commensurate CO2 ouput of 193gm/km.

In short, the lustrous midrange of the TDCi coupled with the seamless and intuitive operation of the three-mode Durashift (conventional, sports and sports sequential) transmission means this is our pick of the bunch of the Mondeo motivators.

Not that the 162kW 2.5-litre intercooled and turbocharged inline five of the XR5 is any slouch. Many readers will recognise this engine from its service in Ford's XR5 Focus and a swag of Volvos and it's one of the best petrol powerplants in the market today.

In Mondeo guise it has been retuned and loses just a few horses but drivers get the benefit of an absolutely flat torque curve that delivers impressive peak torque of 320Nm from 1500rpm all the way through to 4800rpm -- 200 short of the peak power mark. By way of comparison the Focus engine delivers 166kW and pumps 320Nm from 1600-4000rpm.

The DOHC dual-variable valve timed five retains its distinct offbeat sound but it's more subdued than in the Focus. Coupled to the Mondeo range's sole manual gearbox -- a six-speeder dubbed Durashift, but built by Getrag -- in this very civilised guise, the engine returns 9.5lt/100km and a CO2 number of 227gm/km. Note, however, that its 95RON and above for this variant.

Conventional in every sense of the word, Mondeo's monocque body shell has been upsized and strengthened in its latest generation. Ford claims its between 116 and 130 per cent stiffer than the last generation Mondeo -- which probably means it's about five times as strong as the last Mondeo sold Down Under!

There are no surprises to the car's front-wheel drive, transverse engine layout. Up front there is a conventional MacPherson strut suspension set-up with the rear featuring a new version of Ford's own Control Blade independent multi-link rear suspension. Both front and rear set-ups are mounted on subrames which are rubber isolated from the body to improve noise and vibration attenuation.

The Mondeos share their basic suspension components, with the XR5 copping a sportier calibration thanks to a retune of settings. All models use European calibrations, Ford insiders say.

Brakes are four-wheel discs and steering is conventional hydraulic. It's worth noting that Ford has thought enough of the XR5's sporting credentials to fit it with a constant ratio steering pump rather than the variable displacement units fitted to the other models. This should result in more consistent feel and feedback.

ON THE ROAD
Ford says the European DNA of the Mondeo dictates it must be "striking but elegant" with a "look and feel of premium-ness".  At least in the levels above the absolute base model, we'd say it's largely mission accomplished.

In Zetec and XR5 trim levels, and especially in hatch form, the new medium Ford presents as a strikingly attractive car -- one that is at the same time fresh without being gimmicky. The angular nature of the Ford's styling stands out from the softer forms that make up much of today's traffic flow.

And, unlike the local Ford arm that has managed to mix some positively nauseating paint colours, the Mondeo's palate is subdued and classy. This is not a car that needs lairy paint to make an entrance.

The limited powertrain options are not that limiting when the base 2.3-litre four and magically smooth six-speed auto combine so well. It's no rocketship (a 2.4-litre Accord is much more muscular) but the Ford four is willing and revs cleanly, aided by the autobox's quick, demonstrative changes and well chosen ratios.

On the open road and in town you'll probably leave it to its own devices, but if a quick overtaking move is required or you're driving in rolling or tighter country, the sport mode or sequential shift both work well. Note to all manufacturers that the manual mode in this instance means manual -- as it should.

The XR5 hatch is a rapid, smooth and civilised GT that in contrast to its Focus namesake is more sports luxury, than luxury sports. The six-speed manual is fuss-free, though the gate is angled to suite a left-hooker rather more than we'd like. Not that you'll need to row the car along -- the turbo five seems even more lusty in this car than the smaller Focus.

You're hard pressed to pick the XR5's different suspension settings. There's a touch less body roll and diagonal pitching at elevated levels of commitment, and the XR seems a touch harsher on some bumps but we could be mistaken.

Each of the Mondeos steer nicely with crisp turn-in (even the cast-iron blocked diesel) and pleasing levels of natural mid-corner grip. If understeer is a concern you're probably driving the car badly -- this is a remarkably neutral chassis package.

The XR5 would have been be our pick thanks to this blend of usuable power and affordable luxury if it was not let down only by a touch of 'boominess' in the cabin -- probably thanks to its hatch configuration and noisy 40 series rubber. When the rest of range is particularly quiet, this characteristic was particularly noticeable. It was present on more than one of the XR5s we drove.

In contrast, the TDCI hatch had little of the same resonance as the sports model.

With optional leather seats and a sunroof, a TDCI would deliver almost the same level of amenity as the XR, but with the added advantage of better fuel economy and very probably better in-gear overtaking performance. Combined, that's enough to sway our choice.

http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/2838127.aspx

nickdrinkwater

Raghavan

The base versions look really boring.

the Teuton

What's the point of this car with the Falcon in the lineup?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 24, 2007, 03:41:39 PM
What's the point of this car with the Falcon in the lineup?

Falcon's rear drive, isn't it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

cawimmer430

Someone remind me again why we Americans don't get this beautiful machine?  :rolleyes:

Oh wait...  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Northlands

This car screams Mazda 6 to me. That's usually a good thing.  :ohyeah:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on October 25, 2007, 08:27:34 AM
This car screams Mazda 6 to me. That's usually a good thing.  :ohyeah:

:confused:

:nutty:

It looks nothing like the 6.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

This is gonna be tough.. but a random spy shot of the new 6...

And an artist version...

The higher doorline/windowline seems similar. Flatter rear ends... I notice a little in the front end with the hoodlines seem to have similar lengths. Won't be able to truly tell until I see the next actual 6 uncovered. It still makes me think of a 6 when I see that Mondeo.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

Raza

Oh, the upcoming Mazda6. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2007, 11:30:34 AM
Oh, the upcoming Mazda6. 

Yup. Current one doesn't look the same , no.

Morris Minor

Have you noticed how high the pedestrian-absorbing hoods are on new cars?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 26, 2007, 10:33:21 AM

Yes.  I suggest we outlaw idiots instead.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

On my old Accords, I don't the shoulder line came up past my waist

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on October 26, 2007, 12:13:30 PM
I prefer the idea of cars with pedestrian disposal facias...

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 26, 2007, 01:40:13 PM
I prefer the idea of cars with pedestrian disposal facias...

Good thought, there's certainly room for a wood chipper in there. :devil:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

nickdrinkwater

I prefer the Mazda 6.  I think the new one looks hot!  Though those sketches don't look that similar to the final article.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on October 26, 2007, 12:13:30 PM

We should all drive cars with large hood ornaments, and impale the great unwashed on our chromium knick-knackery.

FlatBlackCaddy

Wow....i don't see why everyone screams for this thing. Just go and buy yourself a Mazda. You'll get the best of both worlds(ford of europe and Japan), seems to be a better mix. I'd take an old V6 mazda over this thing anyday, and the next mazda 6 looks to be better than the old 6 by a huge margin.

Or maybe this is the butchered POS version that ford wants to give the U.S.(like the way we get a shit version of the focus).

280Z Turbo

I wonder if they'll ever be able to dumb it down enough for the American market.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 28, 2007, 10:10:55 PM
I wonder if they'll ever be able to dumb it down enough for the American market.

They stil have the old tooling for the taurus(the 00-04 body style), they can just start making that again and pretend its a modified euro version).

thewizard16

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 26, 2007, 10:33:21 AM
It's given all new cars an unfortunate snub-nosed SUV look to them. I don't see the point in any of it, I doubt that many more people are being hit by cars that they were before, and if they are, then it's their own damn fault and they should go back to the "look both ways before you cross the street" that's worked for everyone else for decades. You get hit by a car, you're going to get hurt, now stop making the car companies ruin their styling to accomodate your carelessness.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

omicron

Quote from: thewizard16 on October 29, 2007, 11:44:53 AM
It's given all new cars an unfortunate snub-nosed SUV look to them. I don't see the point in any of it, I doubt that many more people are being hit by cars that they were before, and if they are, then it's their own damn fault and they should go back to the "look both ways before you cross the street" that's worked for everyone else for decades. You get hit by a car, you're going to get hurt, now stop making the car companies ruin their styling to accomodate your carelessness.

If pillars weren't so thick, waistlines so high, and dashboards so vast, we might actually be able to see the pedestrians before we hit them. A typical nanny-state approach - rather than stop people from walking in front of cars, we'll turn the evil vehicles into pillows with balloons for wheels.