I appear to be following in Soup DeVille's footsteps ... PICS ON PAGE 3

Started by Vinsanity, October 24, 2007, 10:45:48 AM

Vinsanity

... because after my little romp owning an S2000, I now have a sweet Cadillac :lol:

Okay, so it's a CTS ... but I still think it's sweet :lol: I even looked at another Volvo S40 (non-turbo) today before I went to the Cadillac dealer, but once I sat in this car, I realized that this is the car I've really wanted since I saw it on autotrader. The Volvo vs. Cadillac decision was a classic needs vs. wants issue (the Volvo was $3,000 cheaper). The Volvo was a nice ride, but "needs" didn't stand a fighting chance. And besides, the Caddy dealer pulled the GMAC card to get me a much better financing rate. So my practical side is satisfied too :praise:

Secretly, I've always liked the way this car drives over the TL. It feels more solid and planted. Kind of like an old Mercedes S-Class. The TL kind of felt like a Honda Accord in a rented tux (one thing that always made me jealous of my brother's G35 was the underpinnings: his car has fancy 350Z blood while my car had homely Accord roots). So I'm proud to say, no lowly Chevrolet commonalities here (edit: ok I just remembered that the new Malibu now has this engine, but besides that...), just fine American ingenuity from one of GM's finest hours :cheers: (wow, trolling is kinda fun, but also kinda awkward)

So unforunately, I won't be able to borrow my dad's good camera until I visit their house this weekend, so here are some "spoiler" pics from the autotrader ad:

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

Seeing that reminds me just how remarkable the change is for the second generation CTS.

Congratulations, young Sanity! Of course, you should have bought a lovely '65 Fleetwood, but I shan't necessarily hold this against you.

cawimmer430

Actually you should have bought a '76 Eldorado and live at a gas station.  :devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

omicron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 24, 2007, 11:03:01 AM
Actually you should have bought a '76 Eldorado and live at a gas station.  :devil:

That's my place :praise:

Vinsanity

Thank you, my good fellows :cheers:

Although my heart does long for a "real" Cadillac (pre-oil embargo), alas, I do have to pay for things like fuel and maintenance (but not for repairs for the next 76,000 miles! oh snap!)

omicron

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 24, 2007, 11:05:45 AM
Thank you, my good fellows :cheers:

Although my heart does long for a "real" Cadillac (pre-oil embargo), alas, I do have to pay for things like fuel and maintenance (but not for repairs for the next 76,000 miles! oh snap!)

Cadillacs pre-1984 run on effervescence.

Vinsanity

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on October 24, 2007, 11:04:51 AM
That's my place :praise:

Thread Hijack Mode On

Check this out.  :ohyeah:

Mercedes-Benz Actross "110" Special Edition for Australia

Mercedes is offering a "Roadtrain" version of the Actros for Australia that is capable of towing 110 tons of freight. It's powered by the most powerful Actros engine, 598-horsepower V8 Turbodiesel that is also equipped with BlueTec-4 because Australia is planning on adapting Euro-4 emission standards by 2008.

Thread Hijack Mode Off

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Wait, so you went from an S2000, to a TL, to a CTS?

Seems like an odd transition, but congrats!

I test drove a CTS a couple of years ago. It reminded me of a 5-series (though a little more softly sprung) in the way it drove, though obviously it doesn't look anything like a BMW.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 24, 2007, 11:50:55 AM

Seems like an odd transition, but congrats!

I test drove a CTS a couple of years ago. It reminded me of a 5-series (though a little more softly sprung) in the way it drove, though obviously it doesn't look anything like a BMW.

lol, the s2000 is really the anomaly in my car history, because before that, I had an Infiniti Q45 :praise: (my brother needed to sell his s2000, so I bought it "on a whim" just to see what it would be like, lol)

I do recall that Cadillac benchmarked the BMW E39 when they were developing this car. So I suppose that explains the uncanny characteristic. But I've never driven an E39, so the closest thing I can compare it to is a W124 :praise:

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 24, 2007, 11:50:55 AM

Basically, from boy racer car to intelligent young man car to extremely old and frail man car.  :lol: :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 24, 2007, 12:23:24 PM
Basically, from boy racer car to intelligent young man car to extremely old and frail man car.  :lol: :devil:

part of me wished I bought a Lexus ES just to see how this thread would turn out :devil:

SJ_GTI

Rich

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 24, 2007, 01:10:01 PM
You need some rimz, yo.

And about 10-20mm less offset on the rear wheels and about 10 less on the fronts
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Vinsanity

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 24, 2007, 01:10:01 PM
You need some rimz, yo.

I know!

I can't wait for the tread to wear down on these tires (that way I'll have all the excuse in the world to blow $2 grand+ on a rim/tire set); I already have the ones I want picked out on tirerack.com :devil:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Nice find. Not a fan of the colour, but I like the CTS nevertheless. :ohyeah:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 24, 2007, 02:11:29 PM
Congrats.

Now get your S2K back.  :lol:

(just kidding)

LOL. I wish. :praise:

That would make me quite the man, though. At least until I have to issue another rent check :mask:

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Vinsanity

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 24, 2007, 02:46:23 PM
Congrats!

Double Douces!

lol. I dunno if I have the balls to go +6 :mask:

I know it's soo 2004, but I guess I'll just be a poser and stick to regular dubs :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 24, 2007, 02:53:22 PM

I know it's soo 2004, but I guess I'll just be a poser and stick to regular dubs :praise:

Well, then, at least get straight pipes. :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SaltyDog

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 24, 2007, 02:53:22 PM

Nah I'm not at all serious, should have put a smiley in :lol:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on October 24, 2007, 03:00:26 PM

Well, then, at least get straight pipes. :rolleyes:

Again. I'm still just a poser, so I'll probably just go with a pair of Flowmasters :ohyeah:

QuoteNah I'm not at all serious, should have put a smiley in :lol:

Oh, I know...I'm still getting some dubs, though :lol:
(prolly not really the Floamasters, though)

Raghavan

Nice car!
At least it's RWD. :lol:

You should've gone for the CTS-V.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Raza

Another automatic?

Come on, man!  It's the big engine at least, right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on October 24, 2007, 03:44:54 PM
Congrats!  How does it compare with your old TL?

I do prefer how this drives over the TL. I agree with early publications that Cadillac did their homework in designing a competitive sport sedan. It doesn't feel as light on its feet as the TL, but it has a much more "planted" feeling. What's amusing me most right now is the engine sound. It's not as refined as the TL, but compared to that car, it sounds like an actual engine (whereas the TL sounded like mpeg files from racing games were planted in the trunk and under the hood to masquerade as an actual engine)

But as far as actual power is concerned, it's 3 hp down on the TL, but 20 lb/ft up, so it doesn't seem to be bothered by whatever extra mass it seems to be lugging around.

Neither of these are track warriors, but out of the two, the TL feels more willing to drive spiritedly, while the CTS inspires more confidence going down back roads. It sounds weird, but it's hard to explain.