I appear to be following in Soup DeVille's footsteps ... PICS ON PAGE 3

Started by Vinsanity, October 24, 2007, 10:45:48 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on October 24, 2007, 03:47:31 PM
Another automatic?

Come on, man!  It's the big engine at least, right?

I shop for mileage/price combos, not transmissions :devil:

And yes, 3.6 liters of unbridled manliness under the hood. *grunt*

S204STi

I saw a used CTS-V for sale, and realized that I really dig that car.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 24, 2007, 04:56:11 PM
I saw a used CTS-V for sale, and realized that I really dig that car.

Yeah, but I couldn't see paying a premium for one over, say, an LS2 GTO.  Sure, it's more practical, but it's even heavier. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on October 24, 2007, 05:02:28 PM
Yeah, but I couldn't see paying a premium for one over, say, an LS2 GTO.  Sure, it's more practical, but it's even heavier. 

But way nicer.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 24, 2007, 06:53:16 PM
But way nicer.

How?  It has a sunroof, but the interior isn't nicer.  It doesn't look better (in my opinion).  How is it nicer?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

I still think you'd have been happier with a Camry SE. :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on October 24, 2007, 06:54:52 PM
How?  It has a sunroof, but the interior isn't nicer.  It doesn't look better (in my opinion).  How is it nicer?

Built nicer, more comfortable.

I also forgot to mention, you can actually get parts for the CTS-V.  Good luck doing that with the GTO, it took me two weeks to get an ignition lock cylinder for one, and you can't even get it from GM direct.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 24, 2007, 06:58:58 PM

ha! I finally let my sister drive the Camry to help me return it to Hertz, and she was like "you're right; it IS slower than the Corolla!"

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 24, 2007, 09:51:17 PM
ha! I finally let my sister drive the Camry to help me return it to Hertz, and she was like "you're right; it IS slower than the Corolla!"

:rage:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on October 24, 2007, 06:54:52 PM

In the same way a Passat is supposedly nicer than a Camry :devil:

Soup DeVille

I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Congrats, Vin!

I've long thought the CTS was the best of the current Caddys, and have secretly wondered if I could justify one.

You're going to have a lot of people look at you cross-eyed though: Sometimes people can't wrap their heads around the idea of somebody liking more than one type of car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lazerous

Congrats on the new ride man! It's always a good feeling when you wake up and see a new bitch in your garage/driveway! :ohyeah:

I test drove a CTS with the Special Luxury Package (or was it called the Sports Package?) and it had the 17" chrome rims and some other minor bells and whistles but I remember liking the way it drove.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 24, 2007, 12:26:45 PM
part of me wished I bought a Lexus ES just to see how this thread would turn out :devil:

All I can tell you is that that car is ghey. And that would make its owner ghey to.  :devil: :devil: :devil:

J/K  :cheers: :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 25, 2007, 12:04:18 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Congrats, Vin!

I've long thought the CTS was the best of the current Caddys, and have secretly wondered if I could justify one.

You're going to have a lot of people look at you cross-eyed though: Sometimes people can't wrap their heads around the idea of somebody liking more than one type of car.

LOL thanks amigo! :cheers:

Thanks for the heads up about the cross-eyed looks :tounge: But for that same reason, I think it would be a fun idea to have been able to keep the S2000 and CTS at the same time :rockon:

But still, it's no 70's Coupe DeVille :mrcool:

Vinsanity

Quote from: Lazerous on October 25, 2007, 12:33:47 AM
Congrats on the new ride man! It's always a good feeling when you wake up and see a new bitch in your garage/driveway! :ohyeah:

I test drove a CTS with the Special Luxury Package (or was it called the Sports Package?) and it had the 17" chrome rims and some other minor bells and whistles but I remember liking the way it drove.

haha the saleslady spent a good 10+ minutes going over the little bells and whistles with me right after I signed the papers :tounge: I made the fun mistake of playing with the bells and whistles while I was driving on the freeway, and I unknowlingly selected metric unit measurement at some point. When I glanced at the speedo pointing at 120, I was like, "oh shit, that's what I get not not paying attention...hey wait, this doesn't feel  like 120..."

ah, what a fine first impression :praise:

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 24, 2007, 08:45:18 PM
Built nicer, more comfortable.

I also forgot to mention, you can actually get parts for the CTS-V.  Good luck doing that with the GTO, it took me two weeks to get an ignition lock cylinder for one, and you can't even get it from GM direct.

Built nicer?  More comfortable?

The materials in the CTS's interior are not as good as the ones used in the GTO.  The GTO's pieces also fit together better.  The interior is also more attractively put together.  The ride comfort of the GTO is great; as comfortable as a CTS 3.6, so unless the CTS-V's ride comfort surpasses the standard car's, I can't fathom how it's more comfortable. 

Sure, finding parts.  That's one advantage.  You want to pay an extra 5-10 grand on the used market for that?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2007, 11:20:59 AM
Built nicer?  More comfortable?

The materials in the CTS's interior are not as good as the ones used in the GTO.  The GTO's pieces also fit together better.  The interior is also more attractively put together.  The ride comfort of the GTO is great; as comfortable as a CTS 3.6, so unless the CTS-V's ride comfort surpasses the standard car's, I can't fathom how it's more comfortable. 

Sure, finding parts.  That's one advantage.  You want to pay an extra 5-10 grand on the used market for that?

Apparently you don't remember Bob Lutz's spiel on how it cost GM so much to make the CTS's interior so much cheaper than it was.  The materials were better in the CTS.  They just weren't executed as well as they were in the GTO.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 25, 2007, 11:47:25 AM
Apparently you don't remember Bob Lutz's spiel on how it cost GM so much to make the CTS's interior so much cheaper than it was.  The materials were better in the CTS.  They just weren't executed as well as they were in the GTO.

Sit in the two cars and tell me which had a better interior.  You can spend a million dollars on dog crap, but at the end of the day you still end up sitting in shit.  I'm not saying the CTS's interior is all that bad, but the GTO's was better.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2007, 11:57:49 AM
Sit in the two cars and tell me which had a better interior.  You can spend a million dollars on dog crap, but at the end of the day you still end up sitting in shit.  I'm not saying the CTS's interior is all that bad, but the GTO's was better.

I'm with Raza here, the GTO has the better interior.  No comment on the 'dog shit' analogy though. :lol:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ArchBishop

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2007, 11:20:59 AM

Another advantage is ingress and egress for the rear seats and a trunk larger than a loaf of bread. As well as vastly less bland styling that doesn't look like an early nineties subcompact.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

deesea

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 24, 2007, 06:58:58 PM

you shushez about your camrys.

Congrats on the car.
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

chevyguy06

Congrats on the purchase  :ohyeah: I'm desperately trying to get my dad to trade his Silverado for one of the new ones.  :tounge:
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on October 26, 2007, 06:28:39 AM
Another advantage is ingress and egress for the rear seats and a trunk larger than a loaf of bread. As well as vastly less bland styling that doesn't look like an early nineties subcompact.

I already spoke with regard to practicality.  And I don't find the styling bland at all. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on October 26, 2007, 12:54:26 PM
I already spoke with regard to practicality.

Yet you won't acknowledge greater practicality in a similar performance package to be worth it to some people.

QuoteAnd I don't find the styling bland at all. 

Neither do I, but you and I both know (or should) that a large percentage of the population, including most automotive magazines, do.

again, I'm trying to point out various reasons outside your own as to why a car is appealing. Not trying to make you LIKE the car, merely trying to get you to acknowledge the logic.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on October 26, 2007, 01:55:53 PM
Yet you won't acknowledge greater practicality in a similar performance package to be worth it to some people.

Neither do I, but you and I both know (or should) that a large percentage of the population, including most automotive magazines, do.

again, I'm trying to point out various reasons outside your own as to why a car is appealing. Not trying to make you LIKE the car, merely trying to get you to acknowledge the logic.

Well, after acknowledging that the CTS-V is more practical, I believe I said that I couldn't justify paying more for it, implying that the extra practicality wasn't worth anything to me.  I never said that the car wasn't appealing (hell, I want one), just that I couldn't justify paying more for one over a GTO.  Sometimes you just go looking for a fight, Chris!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i