A4 Avant - What do you think?

Started by saxonyron, October 30, 2007, 11:34:44 PM

saxonyron

Quote from: Raghavan on October 31, 2007, 10:14:12 PM
It looked like an awesome deal otherwise. :cry:
$30k for the V8...

No worries!  I was pretty smitten by the G8 in NY.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Galaxy

Quote from: saxonyron on October 30, 2007, 11:34:44 PM
but my 14 y.o. is mortified. She claims any wagon is a "mom car" and the pinnacle of boredom.

A 20% reduction in allowance wouldnbe appropriate.

My sons prefer an R8, but just want any new car at all, as long as it's a manual,

A 20% increase in allowance would be appropriate.

and my 5 y.o. daughter thinks she's a princess and wants another pony. 

Tell her how many purebred ponies are under the hood.

Vinsanity

Ron, how do you like the new G35's?

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 01, 2007, 10:12:18 AM

Ron has a palpable fear of Asians and their cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on November 01, 2007, 12:15:33 PM
Ron has a palpable fear of Asians and their cars.

lol because we're the most "threatening" ethnicity, right? :tounge:

saxonyron

Quote from: Galaxy on November 01, 2007, 07:56:30 AM
but my 14 y.o. is mortified. She claims any wagon is a "mom car" and the pinnacle of boredom.

A 20% reduction in allowance would be appropriate.

My sons prefer an R8, but just want any new car at all, as long as it's a manual,

A 20% increase in allowance would be appropriate.

and my 5 y.o. daughter thinks she's a princess and wants another pony. 

Tell her how many purebred ponies are under the hood.

:lol: Consider it done!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

CALL_911

Quote from: saxonyron on October 31, 2007, 10:48:13 PM
I might hit the BMW dealer in Nashua next month.  Last time I tried I was treated shabbily by a neanderthal salesman with crooked pasty yellow teeth, greasy hair, and a baaaad tweed jacket.  WTF??  I don't expect too much from car salesmen, but this guy was a little too far down the food chain for my taste.

The 335i is an amazing ride, and I really do like the way they look.  Hey, it's another option!

Yeah, some salesmen are t3h ghey. Then look at another BMW dealer. I know they aren't known to be the greatest salesmen, but it's the product that matters.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

saxonyron

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 01, 2007, 10:12:18 AM

In '06, I came within inches of buying a G35, but the problem was you couldn't get a 6 spd manual with the AWD, and I'm in the snow belt.  The day after I did the test drive, it snowed heavily, but I still needed to get to work.  I signed on to the A4 that week, even taking the 100HP penalty.  My Bro in Law has an '07 G35, and it's a scream.  Within 2 minutes of driving it, I got pulled over doing twice the speed limit.  I think the manual is still an issue, plus I really like the styling of the A4, and the G35 still doesn't move me as much.

And yes, I'm scared as hell of Asians and their entire culture.  Not just cars, but sushi, transistor radios, Anime cartoons, and karate.  To stave off that fear, I even married a half Japanese girl, but damned if I'm not scared as hell of her too!  :banghead:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 01, 2007, 05:22:27 PM
Yeah, some salesmen are t3h ghey. Then look at another BMW dealer. I know they aren't known to be the greatest salesmen, but it's the product that matters.

I'll try the dealer again.  They're a big dealer and all of 4 minutes from the Audi dealer, so maybe I'll give em a try.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

CALL_911

Quote from: saxonyron on November 01, 2007, 05:34:23 PM
I'll try the dealer again.  They're a big dealer and all of 4 minutes from the Audi dealer, so maybe I'll give em a try.

Do it. My dad is in love with his E60.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Goddamn you half-Japanese girls, do it to me every time

Do you really not eat sushi?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: saxonyron on November 01, 2007, 05:32:49 PM

In '06, I came within inches of buying a G35, but the problem was you couldn't get a 6 spd manual with the AWD, and I'm in the snow belt.  The day after I did the test drive, it snowed heavily, but I still needed to get to work.  I signed on to the A4 that week, even taking the 100HP penalty.  My Bro in Law has an '07 G35, and it's a scream.  Within 2 minutes of driving it, I got pulled over doing twice the speed limit.  I think the manual is still an issue, plus I really like the styling of the A4, and the G35 still doesn't move me as much.

And yes, I'm scared as hell of Asians and their entire culture.  Not just cars, but sushi, transistor radios, Anime cartoons, and karate.  To stave off that fear, I even married a half Japanese girl, but damned if I'm not scared as hell of her too!  :banghead:

ahh I forget about the whole snow belt thing...

somewhat similarly, I was fairly close to buying a Honda Element, but SoCal's infamous murder winds blew by (pun intended) just in time to make me think twice about driving a 6' tall shoebox through 50+ mph crosswind gusts :mask:

and yeah, the animes kinda freak me out too :nutty:

CALL_911

Animes are the weirdest shit ever.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Instead of renting, don't you own a whole fleet of vehicles for your business that you could use while you wait for another car? Or maybe buying a used Taurus or Regal or something for $6,000 and selling it after three months for $5500?

(I wouldn't recommend a just-released model, personally, but if you choose to go that route it might be something to consider.)

And by the way, I didn't frown on the contractor who I almost hired to redo some windows for driving a 5-Series (vetoed for reasons of price, not of car), though maybe there was a reason he parked across the street.

saxonyron

Quote from: Raza  on November 01, 2007, 05:47:42 PM
Goddamn you half-Japanese girls, do it to me every time

Do you really not eat sushi?

No way!  I love sushi.  Spicy tuna roll, all the way!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 01, 2007, 06:00:48 PM
ahh I forget about the whole snow belt thing...

somewhat similarly, I was fairly close to buying a Honda Element, but SoCal's infamous murder winds blew by (pun intended) just in time to make me think twice about driving a 6' tall shoebox through 50+ mph crosswind gusts :mask:

and yeah, the animes kinda freak me out too :nutty:

Yeah, the car has to fit into your whole lifestyle - unless you don't need to drive every day, then the car better be usable every day.

And I was only kidding about my fear of oriental stuff.   Raza was embellishing a bit. :lol: I don't care either way about anime, but it does creep me out a little.  Sushi rocks, I got all the way to pink belt in karate when I was a kid, and I'm not really scared of my wife...too much anyway.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Some anime is alright, but a lot of it really crazy. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

saxonyron

Quote from: ifcar on November 01, 2007, 06:04:49 PM
Instead of renting, don't you own a whole fleet of vehicles for your business that you could use while you wait for another car? Or maybe buying a used Taurus or Regal or something for $6,000 and selling it after three months for $5500?

(I wouldn't recommend a just-released model, personally, but if you choose to go that route it might be something to consider.)

And by the way, I didn't frown on the contractor who I almost hired to redo some windows for driving a 5-Series (vetoed for reasons of price, not of car), though maybe there was a reason he parked across the street.

My mighty fleet of 7 vehicles consist of 4 E-150 vans, 2 F150's, and a rented GM van. All spoken for by my crews.  The renting option might not be too bad, costing only a few hundred bucks extra.  I'd be willing to do that, since any money saved buying a beater would be wasted by my time trying to sell it again.   

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

ifcar

Depending on the deal you get the first time around, that probably wouldn't be true. The value of a car that cost little to begin with changes little over three months. I mean, I bought the Sedona almost a year ago for $4900 (plus tax), and judging by what similar cars are going for in the DC area, it's still worth around $4900.

Or you could even keep that car around after the three-month period so the little Ronlets wouldn't have to learn to drive on the nicer cars.

Raghavan

I think Iffy brings up a great point.
Plus you'd be getting a really sexy A5 instead of the same car again!

Raza

Oh, yeah, definitely get a Camaro Z28!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: saxonyron on November 01, 2007, 06:16:38 PM
Yeah, the car has to fit into your whole lifestyle - unless you don't need to drive every day, then the car better be usable every day.

And I was only kidding about my fear of oriental stuff.   Raza was embellishing a bit. :lol: I don't care either way about anime, but it does creep me out a little.  Sushi rocks, I got all the way to pink belt in karate when I was a kid, and I'm not really scared of my wife...too much anyway.

LOL no worries about the Asian stuff. It's fun to laugh at ethnic oddities :praise:

I agree about the car having to fit into your lifestyle, too. The main reason I chose to let go of the s2000 was that I was tired of driving solo while I was out with 4 other friends who were all piled into one other car.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 01, 2007, 08:31:06 PM
LOL no worries about the Asian stuff. It's fun to laugh at ethnic oddities :praise:

I agree about the car having to fit into your lifestyle, too. The main reason I chose to let go of the s2000 was that I was tired of driving solo while I was out with 4 other friends who were all piled into one other car.

Last time I was out with friends where we had to take a car, we split two and two in the E320 and the Boxster, so I could give each person a ride in the Box.  I hated that, since I could only have two pints at dinner, but I got to scare the shit out of my friends (and explain how a manual transmission works to one of them), so it was a good tradeoff. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on November 01, 2007, 07:08:43 PM
Depending on the deal you get the first time around, that probably wouldn't be true. The value of a car that cost little to begin with changes little over three months. I mean, I bought the Sedona almost a year ago for $4900 (plus tax), and judging by what similar cars are going for in the DC area, it's still worth around $4900.

Or you could even keep that car around after the three-month period so the little Ronlets wouldn't have to learn to drive on the nicer cars.

I'm a fan of that idea as well. 2 years ago, I bought a 1990 Miata for $2,000 with the plan of selling it to my sister when she would be ready to buy a car later that year. It turns out that she got frustrated learning to drive stickshift (and didn't see the point of it), so she bought a 1994 automatic Civic sedan, and I ended up selling the Miata...for $2,000 :lol:

saxonyron

Quote from: ifcar on November 01, 2007, 07:08:43 PM

Hell no!  The Ronlets won't be driving until they're 25 or 30 as far as I'm concerned!  :lol:  And when the time comes for me to take the plunge (in 3 years when my oldest is heading for college) I'll be getting her a lumbering moose of a pickup or Caprice Classic with a governor set at 60. :nono:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Quote from: saxonyron on November 01, 2007, 08:36:34 PM
Hell no!  The Ronlets won't be driving until they're 25 or 30 as far as I'm concerned!  :lol:  And when the time comes for me to take the plunge (in 3 years when my oldest is heading for college) I'll be getting her a lumbering moose of a pickup or Caprice Classic with a governor set at 60. :nono:
She should just get a job and get a cooler car. :praise:
Lumbering moose of a pickup truck FTL.