Veyron vs. Eurofighter

Started by Galaxy, November 03, 2007, 10:33:27 AM

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on November 05, 2007, 11:37:00 AM
F/A 22 vs. Eurofighter.  Which machine would win?
It's closer than you might think.  The Raptor always gets the first shot, but against an agile opponent with really good countermeasures that doesn't always get the kill.  I haven't really seen what the Typhoon is capable of in a dogfight but I know the Raptor is very vulnerable in low-speed, low-altitude engagements.  It's kind of a dirty little secret in trade - the Raptor just can't turn and roll like it was designed to.  In fact, it's a pig under 500 knots.  So if the Typhoon is any good at lower speeds (although delta wings usually aren't) it probably has the upper hand in a dogfight.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Galaxy on November 05, 2007, 01:00:00 PM
In most cases likely F-22, the Eurofighter would proberly often detect the F-22 to late, although fusing infrared with radar is reportedly working quite well, with infrared telling the targeting system which radar anomaly is an aircraft, (there are to many anomalies from clouds etc to tell which anomaly is a stealth plane otherwise) in ideal conditions the Eurofighters infrared sensor range is larger then the range of a AIM-120. Of all the aircraft the F-22 has been flown against in Simulations the Eurofighter has reportedly  fared the best. There are reports that it has managed simulated F-22 kills.

From Air Power review vol 20:

Typhoon has deployed to the US for tests by the Operational Evaluation Unit (OEU), presumably from England. In skirmishes with the F-22A, the Typhoon dominated the Within Visual Range engagements and apparently this really didn't surprise anyone because Typhoon is known for having outstanding agility. When it scored a radar lock on the F-22A at Beyond Visual Range, that caused quite a stir.

The Eurofighter does have several advantages over the F-22 it is more agil at low speeds and is the most agile aircraft mankind has built at supersonic speeds pulling 9g at Mach 1.2, 6g at 1.5. The F-22 has an advantage at high subsonic speeds and does not loose as much speed at high altitude.

The Eurofighter arguable currently has the more modern weapons with the IRIS-T and the upcoming delayed METEOR, however new weapons can be integrated into an existing platform.

Note that I used proberly, perhaps, maybe etc quite often. The specs of both aircraft are mostly calssified and one has to deduce the capabilites from the tidbits the aviation press manages to obtain.

I am sure that Sandertheshark could tell us more. If he is allowed.
That's pretty much correct.  I didn't know the OpEval results were declassified though. :mrcool:

I'd take a Super Hornet over both of 'em though.  Acceleration, subsonic agility, and the most advanced ECM suite ever.  That'll get you in and out of any fight on top.

JYODER240

Sander, have you ever got to ride in a fighter jet?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sandertheshark

Quote from: JYODER240 on November 05, 2007, 09:17:29 PM
Sander, have you ever got to ride in a fighter jet?
Oh yes.

T-38, F-16d, F-15e, F/A-18f, EA-18g.  All a lot of fun.  The Super Hornet was the best.

GoCougs

The only way to realistically defeat the F-22 is to go after it logistically - air fields, air tankers, AWACS, etc.

My favorite figher is the F-15; only more than 30 years after its introduction are other nations' fighters only now gaining parity.

JYODER240

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 05, 2007, 09:52:43 PM
Oh yes.

T-38, F-16d, F-15e, F/A-18f, EA-18g.  All a lot of fun.  The Super Hornet was the best.

Lucky. I would love to take a ride complete with passing-out and puking everywhere.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2007, 10:57:24 PM
The only way to realistically defeat the F-22 is to go after it logistically - air fields, air tankers, AWACS, etc.

The new Novator K-100 ultra long range missile combined with the Su-30's long range tracking capabilities may force NATO to rethink AWAC stratergies.

Michael Estorol

Quote from: Galaxy on November 05, 2007, 10:10:05 AM
While it's climb rate of 15km/min is excellent even today it's thrust to weight ratio is less then one so it can not maintain a vertical climb.

THUD -- is the sound of another pillar of my childhood belief-system  being toppled.  Every English schoolboy (including Jeremy Bloody Clarkson) knew that the Lightning could climb vertically.

Wikipedia has some quality Lightning stories though - like intercepting a U-2 at 88000 ft during a NATO excercise ...

sandertheshark

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2007, 10:57:24 PM
Been following red flag war games, have you?

If you've got a superfighter that can dodge an AMRAAM - and that's not hard to do - and force a close-range engagement, you can realistically defeat a Raptor.

My favorite figher is the F-15; only more than 30 years after its introduction are other nations' fighters only now gaining parity.
Besides the Sukhoi Flanker, twenty years ago you mean.

FordSVT

Quote from: Lazerous on November 03, 2007, 11:59:45 AM
Mad viewer ratings=mad cash yo!

Actually I too am surprised at how they pull some of this stuff off almost constantly.

I'm sure they also have a great reputation in Europe so lots of different companies and manufacturers are willing to work with them to set up these tests.

FordSVT

Yeah, I like this clip.

"As drag races go, you will agree: this is quite a good one."  :clap: