Edmunds G35 vs 335i vs CTS vs IS350 vs C350

Started by 565, November 03, 2007, 01:43:51 PM

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2007, 02:37:11 PM
Why, oh why do we have to suffer through the same comparisons over and over?  For god's sake, please test the entry level goddamn cars for bloody once.  I've seen the 335 in so many comparisons that I never want to hear another word about it again.  I'd be much more interested in seeing a C300, 328i, IS250, and whatever lower engine CTS they have.  All with manual transmissions. 

Not quite what you were after, but not a single 335i or C350 in sight:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=11898.0

In terms of exterior looks, I'd rank them like this.

IS350 > G35> CTS > 335 > C class.

I think the IS350 has nice aggressive looks and is the most coupe like of the bunch.  The lines are precise, and the view from the front looks very nice and aggressive, like it's ready to pounce. The entire car looks taut and alive.

The G35 has beautiful organic proportions and smooth lines in a market of mostly jagged cars.  There are alot of nice details in the design and the car seems to flow very well.

The CTS has a transformers mechanical look that makes it rather interesting.  The details are very upscale looking as well.

The BMW looks both awkward and cheap at the same time, it lacks the exquisite detailing of its competitors. The lower end 328 BMW's look like old economy cars from the rear because BMW didn't bother to adjust the track enough to compensate for narrower tires, and the bodywork severely overhangs the tires on either side.

The C class rear looks like somthing Kia would make.  The front of the car is too busy and ugly.  The side profile doesn't look upscale either.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 565 on November 04, 2007, 08:14:08 AM
The front of the car is too busy and ugly.

How is the front of the C-Class "busy looking"?  :huh:

Quote from: 565 on November 04, 2007, 08:14:08 AMThe C class rear looks like somthing Kia would make.  The side profile doesn't look upscale either.

Yeah, looks really really cheap to me. Below the level of a Kia actually...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

I guess you posted a different version (euro maybe?) which admittedly looks a bit better.

I'm just going by what Edmunds took pictures of.

It just doesn't scream upscale to me.  It looks like it tries too hard to be sporty by tacking on complex bits onto an otherwise boring shape.  And that HUGE three point star on the grill with what looks like another badge on the hood is just overkill and a bit tacky.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 565 on November 04, 2007, 09:09:19 AM
I guess you posted a different version (euro maybe?) which admittedly looks a bit better.

It just doesn't scream upscale to me.  It looks like it tries too hard to be sporty by tacking on complex bits onto an otherwise boring shape.

This one seems upscale. That weird looking one Wimmer posted looks cheap.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

Quote from: 565 on November 04, 2007, 09:09:19 AM

It just doesn't scream upscale to me.  It looks like it tries too hard to be sporty by tacking on complex bits onto an otherwise boring shape.

I just don't think the front looks busy at all, that's all. And the C-Class does have an upscale/premium look. If you want to see a "lower end" C-Class look you need to check out the Classic trim level versions - which aren't sold in the US (but possibly in Canada). Those things lack the exterior glitz which gives the car an upscale look. You have the same trim level for the BMW 3-Series in Europe as well.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 09:10:02 AM
This one seems upscale. That weird looking one Wimmer posted looks cheap.

:mask:

Cheap? That's the Elegance version which is an upscale trim. I don't know about you but this car has an upscale look to me. Remove the Mercedes badges and it would still have a premium look to it.

You want a cheap C-Class, this is one: CLASSIC trim level, made for taxi and police fleets but also for "money conscious" geezers who want a Benz.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

There's more to a car looking upscale than "glitz" slapped on a boring design.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 09:47:36 AM
There's more to a car looking upscale than "glitz" slapped on a boring design.

C O N S E R V A T I V E

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

A bit of trim slapped on a car that doesn't look upscale works about as well as Pontiac slapping plastic cladding and hood vents on a Grand Am: it doesn't change anything, it just looks like you tried.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 10:06:31 AM
A bit of trim slapped on a car that doesn't look upscale works about as well as Pontiac slapping plastic cladding and hood vents on a Grand Am: it doesn't change anything, it just looks like you tried.

So are you saying the C-Class looks "boring"?

Mainstream manufacturers have begun decorating their cars with exterior "glitz" to make them look upscale. Does this mean luxury manufacturers should try harder or something?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

No, it means that the design basics make a car look upscale, not the trim. If you took the window trim off a CTS, it would still look expensive, because of the design.

cawimmer430

Yeah, design does indeed do this too, but so do exterior "glitz" effects like chrome (or chrome imitating plastic).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

"And the C-Class does have an upscale/premium look. If you want to see a 'lower end' C-Class look you need to check out the Classic trim level versions - which aren't sold in the US (but possibly in Canada). Those things lack the exterior glitz which gives the car an upscale look. "

My point is that upscale is not defined by a few changes here and there. A car either has presence, or it doesn't. It looks expensive, or it ooesn't. A Corolla with lots of trim and expensive wheels doesn't look expensive. It doesn't work on the C-Class either.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 10:16:58 AM
"And the C-Class does have an upscale/premium look. If you want to see a 'lower end' C-Class look you need to check out the Classic trim level versions - which aren't sold in the US (but possibly in Canada). Those things lack the exterior glitz which gives the car an upscale look. "

My point is that upscale is not defined by a few changes here and there. A car either has presence, or it doesn't. It looks expensive, or it ooesn't. A Corolla with lots of trim and expensive wheels doesn't look expensive. It doesn't work on the C-Class either.

Who says each car in this class has to have presence? Some people look for the conservative or "background design". The C-Class has always been conservatively styled. This one is quite radical for MB standards. Probably the only C-Class with real visual presence is an AMG Sport or C63 AMG version.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

A conservatively-styled car can have presence. It's NOT determined by trim. You're again missing the point. You can't say a C-Class with some trim is mainstream, another premium. One isn't "too conservative to have real presence" while another isn't.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 10:21:56 AM
A conservatively-styled car can have presence. It's NOT determined by trim. You're again missing the point. You can't say a C-Class with some trim is mainstream, another premium. One isn't "too conservative to have real presence" while another isn't.

Wait, I am confused.  :huh:

Maybe you should see a Classic trim level C-Class in real life, it looks boring and plain. Switch over to an Elegance/Avantgarde C-Class and you have something which turns your head (at least mine), despite being rather conservatively styled. I'm serious.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

:rolleyes:

An S550 would have luxury presence with no shiny trim around the windows and with plastic hubcaps. That's the difference between upscale design, and bland design.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 10:28:15 AM

An S550 would have luxury presence with no shiny trim around the windows and with plastic hubcaps. That's the difference between upscale design, and bland design.

And chrome trim, gold emblems, and nice wheels on a Camry doesn't make it look luxurious.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 10:36:57 AM
And chrome trim, gold emblems, and nice wheels on a Camry doesn't make it look luxurious.

....ok.....

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 10:36:57 AM

that was soo not the point iffy was making :huh:

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 10:28:15 AM

If you actually saw the two cars side by side you would know what Chris is talking about.

ifcar

I've seen the "Classic" and "Elegance" versions of the previous C-Class (W203?). Both looked fine. There is no amount of trim that makes or breaks an upscale appearance. If there was, Hyundai/Kia would own the luxury market.

Raza

The wheels on Classic trims do look awful.  That's the most noticeable thing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on November 05, 2007, 05:56:21 AM
I've seen the "Classic" and "Elegance" versions of the previous C-Class (W203?). Both looked fine. There is no amount of trim that makes or breaks an upscale appearance. If there was, Hyundai/Kia would own the luxury market.

It depends what you define as trim.

A car with nicer wheels and a more expensive looking grille design, lowered suspension, etc is always going to look more upscale IMO.

ifcar

Of course. But if one version doesn't, then it doesn't matter how much is slapped on, it will still look like a mainstream car with trim.

SJ_GTI

I actually think the C-Class is one of the nicer looking cars in this class from the outside, though I am not too hot on the interior. Based on just exterior looks I'd probably rank them as follows:

CTS>C-Class>IS350>335i>G35

All of the cars look at least okay though. I'm not a fan of the G, but it doesn't look ugly so much as just boring.

Interior design would probably go like this for me:

CTS>IS350>335i>G35>C-Class

Overall if I was buying in this class, though, I'd probably lean toward the 3-series or IS, in both cases with a manual transmission and the smaller engines. I know power wins comparisons, but I've driven a 325i and IS250 and both felt plenty fast for my tastes.

TBR

ifcar

If that's where this thread is going:

Exterior only: CTS>G35>3-Series>C-Class>IS

Vinsanity

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 05, 2007, 07:23:23 AM
I actually think the C-Class is one of the nicer looking cars in this class from the outside, though I am not too hot on the interior. Based on just exterior looks I'd probably rank them as follows:

CTS>C-Class>IS350>335i>G35

That's pretty much where my rankings fall as well, with regards to exterior styling. Although I probably would put the G35 over the 335, though.