Wheels: C280 vs. 325i

Started by omicron, November 04, 2007, 03:10:04 AM

omicron

By the normally polite language of corporate executives, these were fighting words. Ambitious, confident and clear of intent: ?Our aim is to win leadership in this sector,? Horst von Sanden, MD of Mercedes-Benz Australia, told motoring journalists at the local drive introduction of the new C-Class.

Mercedes? vision inevitably translates to a single goal: topping BMW?s 3 Series, the class creator and permanent sales leader. If Mercedes? Australian orders are matched by supply from Germany − the previous C-class sedan (like the 3 Series) was imported from South Africa − it predicts sales of around 6000 sedans in 2008, a significant increase over the 4997 total C-Class models delivered in 2002, the previous best year. On the other hand, BMW Australia moved 8535 3 Series at its peak the same year and also expects to top 6000 sales in 2008.

C versus 3 is one of motoring?s great contests − Germany?s equivalent of Commodore versus Falcon − and frequently played out in Wheels. For the latest round, before the arrival of next year?s all-new Audi A4 and ignoring the mounting presence of the Lexus IS250, we?ve pitched the petrol sixes into battle.

Price and power output largely dictated our weapons: C280 Avantgarde versus 325i. A few words of explanation for what is a complicated catalogue of engines and trims levels. In Europe, Mercedes offers the four-valve, quad-cam V6 in 2.5-, 3.0- and 3.5-litre forms. Australia, however, has chosen to import only the mid-range 170kW 3.0-litre in either Elegance or Avantgarde trim, both at an identical $84,974.

From BMW?s three-tiered six-cylinder 3 Series range, the $76,400, 160kW 325i selects itself. For the $67,600 323i, the (still) 2.5-litre straight six is everse-chipped to deliver 140kW, while the potent and surprisingly popular 225kW twin-turbo $104,500 335i (which locally replaces the old normally-aspirated 330i) is beyond the price and performance reach of the C280. We can?t believe Mercedes doesn?t have a more powerful petrol six (direct injection?) in the local pipeline, perhaps to coincide with the arrival of the new CLK.

Once Avantgarde routinely included sports suspension tuning. No longer − apart from gaining 17-inch (over 16s) alloys and lower profile (45 versus 55) rubber, chassis settings are identical across the C-Class range, including the AMG ?sports? pack.

Now the big differentiator is the style of grille. The Elegance (and Classic) maintains Mercedes? traditional chrome outlined grille, three-pointed star proudly atop the bonnet, a look that strengthens the model?s ?horizontal affinity? with the S-Class. The Avantgarde adopts the previously coupe/sports car-only theme of a massive, central-of-grille, three-pointed star without the gun-sight mascot.

Either way, the near-vertical grille juts out − for pedestrian safety? − boldly and helps the new car look bigger all round. Gone are the peanut headlights, replaced by large lamps that neatly incorporate a visual extension of the bonnet shut lines. Weirdly, the door handles are set at slightly different angles and above a prominent crease line. On the 3 Series, the handles are neatly integrated with the crease line. In profile, apart from the BMW?s trademark hockey-stick C-pillar design, the two rivals are not dissimilar.

Like too many new cars, Mercedes-Benz?s C-Class is longer and wider, the wheelbase stretched by 45mm to exactly match the 3 Series. Any differences in major dimensions are minimal and the C280?s 1480kg mass is only 20kg above the 325i. As to intent, they could hardly be closer, especially as Mercedes wants us to believe this C-Class is now ?a driver?s car? while admitting, ?we?ve said it before, but this time it?s real.?

That, ultimately, defines the role of this comparison: can the new C-Class defeat the 3 Series to become the definitive European compact premium sedan? Across the generations of 190/C-Class and 3 Series, a gradual converging of purpose now has the two marques fighting for many of the same buyers.
Running the performance numbers at Oran Park seemed to confirm the 325i?s advantage. Nobody builds a smoother, sweeter or more sonorous six than BMW?s inline unit. As good as the Mercedes V6 is, there?s a timbre of coarseness between 5000-6000rpm and, because the auto trannie is set to change up at 6200rpm, the engine shuts down 800rpm earlier than the Beemer.

Subjectively, the BMW feels faster and more responsive. Yet the figures prove otherwise, the C280 slicing through the standing 400 metres in 15.5 seconds, 0.7sec quicker than the 325i, the Benz beating the BMW to 100km/h by a sizeable 0.8sec. What counts here is not so much the almost identical power-to-weight ratios, but the significant difference in torque-to-weight: 171Nm per tonne versus 203Nm per tonne. The Mercedes? extra half litre of capacity provides 300Nm between 2500-5000rpm; the beautifully harmonious 2.5-litre BMW manages 250Nm at 2750rpm. No surprise that in back-to-back testing the 325i averaged 11.8 litres per 100km, the bigger engined C280 12.7 litres per 100km.

The (mostly) brilliant automatics (only the BMW offers a manual alternative) disguise the need for revs, yet the driver is conscious that both engines are more responsive and willing with the crank spinning above 3500rpm. Both BMW?s six-speed ZF and Mercedes? own seven-speed auto allow manual shifting via the console selector, but neither offers the more convenient paddle system and both can be indecisive after a long period of cruising. The C280?s gear ratios are clearly aimed at unrestricted autobahn driving: the top three ratios all run over 40km/h per 1000rpm. At 100km/h in fifth, the tacho needle is at 2500rpm, 2000rpm in sixth and only 1800rpm in the overly high seventh. The Merc would make better use of its power with a more suitable spread of ratios and, especially, a lower first.

The point is, in speed-limited Australia, no car truly needs seven forward gears. Like all Mercedes (except the AMG range and sports cars) imported into Australia, the C280 is limited to a 210km/h V-max to further exaggerate the virtual duplication of the upper ratios. No such constraints on the 325i, which BMW says tops out at 242km/h.

Heading south to the sharp focus of our favourite test roads and there can be no denying that for all the talk of a convergence in character, these two remain true to their traditional and disparate images. The C280?s clear comfort bias means it?s quieter and more refined and has noticeably superior ride comfort. At first, mostly because the steering is much lighter than the BMW (and the previous C-Class) and the softer, longer travel suspension permits a touch more initial lateral roll, there?s a tendency not to push the Mercedes as hard.

But as the roads become more challenging, the realisation grows that the C280?s ability to absorb punishment and soak up the potholes and bumps, combined with plenty of grip, means it has no trouble staying with the BMW and frequently sets the pace. Adapting to the steering requires a few corners to understand the light weighting is matched by a more direct rack that delivers welcome sensitivity with no kickback and without the traditional Mercedes? ?mush? around the straight-ahead. The handling and ride is composed and fluent, clearly set to ensure relaxed motoring.

Yet there is also a new dynamism to the C-Class driving experience. Belt hard and you discover that the stability control no longer restrains the fun. In fact, the second stage (it?s switchable, but never truly off) even allows a touch of opposite lock. In corners, the suspension?s automatically-stiffening dampers do their job unobtrusively, allowing the Merc to change directions quickly, nimbly, reducing roll angles and leaving driver and occupants oblivious to the clever technology

First impressions, away from the track, do the 325i no favours. The steering is heavy, inert on centre, and almost too quick, a perception exaggerated by the small, thick-rimmed steering wheel. We already knew that on Sydney?s often appalling suburban roads, the BMW feels unwieldy and tramlines over undulations, the run-flat tyres rumbling and the suspension thumping over the worst irregularities. Only away from these confines does the chassis come into its own to recoup much lost ground.

The 325i always feels slightly smaller and, helped by the urgency of the engine, more sporting. Body control is tighter, the steering even quicker, the car running beautifully into corners, devouring apexes, the front end biting more immediately and delivering a more neutral handling stance. But only with the DSC stability system in the intermediate or off positions. With DSC in the default, maximum-intrusion mode, any vertical body movement has the warning light flashing furiously as the system attempts to shut down the enjoyment.

Away from other than a really smooth road surface, however, the BMW?s suspension and run-flat tyres have trouble filtering out small imperfections and surface changes. The driver is enticed to work harder in the 325i and, while enthusiasts will probably accept the trade-off, many buyers will surely prefer the Mercedes? more soothing manners. The BMW?s brakes, however, are more instantaneous and progressive than the longer pedal travel set-up of the Mercedes.

The case for the BMW is built around the appeal of its brilliant drivetrain that makes it seem quicker and more involving than the Mercedes. Objectively, however, the truth is otherwise. More importantly, the C280 has a wider range of ability and is undoubtedly an easier car to live with on a daily basis. Until BMW sorts out the 3?s all-too-obvious suspension deficiencies on our roads, the C280?s all-rounder appeal hands the decision to the Mercedes. Class leadership is looking possible.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Road_Tests/C+versus+3+-+Mercedes+C-Class+vs+BMW+3+Series.html

cawimmer430

A good review of both cars. Sounded objective and unbiased to me.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 09:06:34 AM
Isn't the 325 the 328 now?

Maybe in America. In other places where "penis size" isn't so important it's still 325i.  :devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

TheIntrepid

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 09:54:07 AM

Please don't compare the C-Class to a POS only Treppy would drive.  :evildude:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Next year, BMW will unveil the 329.6i, with a 3.0L magnesium block L6 putting out a harmonious 257HP, as well as the 338.432i, with a twin turno 3.0L L6 putting out what BMW would assume a 3843.2L NA inline 6 would put out, 337.3143HP according to new SAE standards.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 04, 2007, 10:09:07 AM
Next year, BMW will unveil the 329.6i, with a 3.0L magnesium block L6 putting out a harmonious 257HP, as well as the 338.432i, with a twin turno 3.0L L6 putting out what BMW would assume a 3843.2L NA inline 6 would put out, 337.3143HP according to new SAE standards.

:lol: :clap:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 04, 2007, 10:01:44 AM
Please don't compare the C-Class to a POS only Treppy would drive.  :evildude:

Even Treppy wouldn't drive that generation of Camry. My girlfriend has one. It's the worst Camry I've ever driven, and I've driven a LOT. :lol:

Raza

Very positive review.  Maybe I should start saving for a C300 Sport!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 10:56:34 AM
Even Treppy wouldn't drive that generation of Camry...I've driven a LOT.

:nutty:

And that really doesn't make any sense. The Camry is one of the most evolutionary models out there, where each new generation is more of the same. The big development for that gen was the new 4-cylinder (an excellent development), but mostly it's just a little roomier, a little smoother riding, a little quieter, etc, then the previous.

Unless of course you're only referring to looks.

CJ

AKL

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 02:48:32 PM

And that really doesn't make any sense. The Camry is one of the most evolutionary models out there, where each new generation is more of the same. The big development for that gen was the new 4-cylinder (an excellent development), but mostly it's just a little roomier, a little smoother riding, a little quieter, etc, then the previous.

I agree. The Camry is very much the same throughout the generations. It just simply improves upon what it's good at. Being a comfortable family sedan. The driving experience wasn't any different between the fourth generation and fifth generation. I'd say the fifth was even slightly better.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 02:48:32 PM

I was only referring to looks. My girlfriend has one of this generation, a 2005, and it feels a lot floatier than my 4th gen. :huh:

It may just be mental but the '99 felt tighter.

AKL

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 04, 2007, 03:26:02 PM
I was only referring to looks. My girlfriend has one of this generation, a 2005, and it feels a lot floatier than my 4th gen. :huh:

It may just be mental but the '99 felt tighter.

Well either way both generations of Camry's were floaty (to me at least). Unless you think your 99' has tight handling  :lol: :nutty:
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

omicron

I really wish that M-B and BMW nomenclature would return to their explanatory histories.

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on November 04, 2007, 10:08:55 PM
I really wish that M-B and BMW nomenclature would return to their explanatory histories.

Elaborate?  Nazimobiles?  I'd rather them not.  Kaiser Wilhem?  Three-wheels?  No.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

Quote from: the Teuton on November 04, 2007, 10:13:38 PM
Elaborate?  Nazimobiles?  I'd rather them not.  Kaiser Wilhem?  Three-wheels?  No.

Back in the days when a C280 was a 2.8 litre C-class, and a 323i was a 2.3 litre 3-series. Now we have a 335i, which doesn't have 3.5 litres of anything, and a C63 that adds on 0.1  to the 6.2 V8 just for the hell of it.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: AKL on November 04, 2007, 03:29:40 PM
Well either way both generations of Camry's were floaty (to me at least). Unless you think your 99' has tight handling  :lol: :nutty:

Not tight, but tighter than the 5th gen. :huh:

CALL_911

The 323i has, and had a 2.5L engine.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 04, 2007, 10:20:33 PM
The 323i has, and had a 2.5L engine.

Not in the little E21 series or the E30, it didn't.

CALL_911

Quote from: omicron on November 04, 2007, 10:22:54 PM

Over here, I don't think we got an E30 323i. I forgot about the E21.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on November 04, 2007, 10:22:54 PM

The E30 325e had a 2.7 liter engine, lest ye forget.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 04, 2007, 10:26:38 PM
Over here, I don't think we got an E30 323i. I forgot about the E21.

I only have so much brain space! When 323i meant 2.3 litre 3-series, I didn't need a separate folder up there. Now I have an entire department trying to remember what name doesn't match each engine size or body style, and it's asking for more office space in the nearby 'Bottles I Haven't Finished Drinking Yet' Building.

:cry:

omicron

Quote from: the Teuton on November 04, 2007, 10:29:52 PM
The E30 325e had a 2.7 liter engine, lest ye forget.

I am trying to forget the 'eta'. Curse ye for bringing it up!

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on November 04, 2007, 10:32:29 PM
I am trying to forget the 'eta'. Curse ye for bringing it up!

Fuel economy and 4500 rpm redline FTW.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 04, 2007, 09:19:50 AM
Maybe in America. In other places where "penis size" isn't so important it's still 325i.  :devil:

:lol:

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2007, 09:54:07 AM

Doesn't really look similar at all.