The Crown Vicky is dead

Started by TheIntrepid, November 04, 2007, 08:34:09 AM

280Z Turbo

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 06, 2007, 03:22:17 PM
The reason GM got into trouble in the first place was partly through lazy rebadges!

Not really. Would not a turd by any other name smell just as bad? :lol:

If you want to see a lazy rebadge look at an old "Datsun". I don't know who they were fooling.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 06, 2007, 03:59:34 PM
Not really. Would not a turd by any other name smell just as bad? :lol:

If you want to see a lazy rebadge look at an old "Datsun". I don't know who they were fooling.

Pretty much everyone who ever bought a Datsun...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Can't say seeing the CV gone will make much of a difference. The police service is already moving toward Dodge Chargers, and the cabbies drive all sorts of cars (Impalas, Grand Marquises, Town Cars, Montanas, Ventures, Freestars, Windstars, Caravans, Escape Hybrids, Priuses, Intrepids, Concordes, the odd 300 here and there).

CALL_911

Quote from: 93JC on November 06, 2007, 04:55:48 PM
Can't say seeing the CV gone will make much of a difference. The police service is already moving toward Dodge Chargers, and the cabbies drive all sorts of cars (Impalas, Grand Marquises, Town Cars, Montanas, Ventures, Freestars, Windstars, Caravans, Escape Hybrids, Priuses, Intrepids, Concordes, the odd 300 here and there).

NO. THEY CANNOT HANDLE T3H 3.5L HIGH OUTPUT V6!!!11!1!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SaltyDog

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 06, 2007, 03:26:09 PM
That's not really stopping NYC cab companies from using Sienna's :huh: (I haven't noticed seeing any Sienna taxis in real life, but there's at least one in every TV shot of Manhattan I see)

Although, the Sienna *is* built in the US...

I just thought about that after I posted.  Hell, the only 2 NYC cab rides I had were in Sienna's :hammerhead:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 06, 2007, 05:09:35 PM
NO. THEY CANNOT HANDLE T3H 3.5L HIGH OUTPUT V6!!!11!1!

:lol:

3.5 HO > j00

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

They need to make a Sienna hybrid for this kind of application.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on November 06, 2007, 06:22:11 PM
They need to make a Sienna hybrid for this kind of application.

I agree, but if they did, all these guys would be bitching about how a Hybrid is oh so pointless. :rolleyes:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SaltyDog on November 06, 2007, 05:11:57 PM
I just thought about that after I posted.  Hell, the only 2 NYC cab rides I had were in Sienna's :hammerhead:
Thinking about that: the last time I was in a cab in NY it was so long ago it was actually in a Checker!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 06, 2007, 06:23:22 PM
I agree, but if they did, all these guys would be bitching about how a Hybrid is oh so pointless. :rolleyes:

shut up, idiot. everyone knows hybrids are perfect for something like NYC cabs. :rolleyes: 
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 06, 2007, 06:24:17 PM
Thinking about that: the last time I was in a cab in NY it was so long ago it was actually in a Checker!

:rockon:

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on November 06, 2007, 04:55:48 PM

There is an increasing variety, but the Crown Victoria still commands a huge portion of the market.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 06, 2007, 01:11:07 PM
Because it wasn't much of a money maker, if at all. It was relatively expensive owing at least to its outdated design, and manufacture techniques (and I'd bet logistics as well), and serviced extremely low margin fleet customers.

It's simply business; If it were a moneymaker, they'd not have let it languish into utter irrelevancy.

That doesn't make sense. If it weren't profitable, they wouldn't have kept around as long as they have.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on November 07, 2007, 04:42:59 AM
That doesn't make sense. If it weren't profitable, they wouldn't have kept around as long as they have.

According to every report I've seen, it's just the opposite. The tooling was paid off a long time ago and the profit margins on the CV/GM are quite large.

"Mercury executives love the Grand Ma, even while they squirm a bit over its Geritol image. Its profit margin is huge; the engineering costs were amortized before Leonid Brezhnev left the Kremlin."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E1D9123EF93AA25753C1A9659C8B63

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ifcar

FordSVT

I think Ford simply sees a time coming very shortly when the number of alternatives to the CV are simply going to overwhelm their profit margins. Demand for it is starting to trend downward, better to cut your losses before they start.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ChrisV on November 07, 2007, 06:28:31 AM
According to every report I've seen, it's just the opposite. The tooling was paid off a long time ago and the profit margins on the CV/GM are quite large.

"Mercury executives love the Grand Ma, even while they squirm a bit over its Geritol image. Its profit margin is huge; the engineering costs were amortized before Leonid Brezhnev left the Kremlin."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E1D9123EF93AA25753C1A9659C8B63

Mercury have executives?

I thought Mercury was just a Ford with a different badge and grille.

ChrisV

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 07, 2007, 11:34:34 AM
Mercury have executives?

I thought Mercury was just a Ford with a different badge and grille.

Mercury is a division inside of Ford. Much like Ford of Europe is a division inside of Ford Corporate. While Mercury often remodels Fords (not just rebadging, though lately that's been mostly the case), they do have a rivalry interally about getting product money, and they have their own president, VPs, and product managers as though it was a separate company. 

nickdrinkwater

Interesting.  Thanks for the info!

USA_Idol

Quote from: ChrisV on November 07, 2007, 11:56:40 AM
Mercury is a division inside of Ford. Much like Ford of Europe is a division inside of Ford Corporate. While Mercury often remodels Fords (not just rebadging, though lately that's been mostly the case), they do have a rivalry interally about getting product money, and they have their own president, VPs, and product managers as though it was a separate company. 

Going back even thirty years (1977), I can't remember a single Mercury that wasn't simply a rebadge (or a mild rework of the profile) of a US or Euro Ford model. :huh:

Mercury should be the mid-grade brand that it needs to be.  It's supposed to bridge the gap between mainstream Ford and premium Lincoln.  While we're on that subject, Lincoln needs to be a lot more "premium" and a lot less "Ford."   :lol:

the Teuton

So Mercury really should be Ford Europe and/or Australia.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on November 07, 2007, 01:23:18 PM
So Mercury really should be Ford Europe and/or Australia.

That's what I've been saying!

The Mercury lineup should be as follows:
Euro Focus
Euro Focus Vignale
Mondeo
Aussie Falcon
move the Freestyle X to Mercury since Ford has the Edge and will soon have the Flex

nickdrinkwater

Isn't Volvo Ford's 'mid-grade' brand?

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 07, 2007, 02:15:01 PM
Isn't Volvo Ford's 'mid-grade' brand?

No, Volvo is Volvo, it's just partially owned by Ford.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 07, 2007, 01:20:40 PM
While we're on that subject, Lincoln needs to be a lot more "premium" and a lot less "Ford."   :lol:

omg...poor Lincoln :frown: I'll admit that Cadillac is biting more competition than they can chew, but Lincoln is just embarrassing. Caddy is the savior of Detroit compared to Lincoln. They should've redesigned the LS within two years of the CTS's debut instead of letting it die a shameful death. Hell, they really should've released an edgy 4-door convertible, called it the Continental, all the while building it on the Town Car's Panther chassis.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 07, 2007, 02:20:42 PM
omg...poor Lincoln :frown: I'll admit that Cadillac is biting more competition than they can chew, but Lincoln is just embarrassing. Caddy is the savior of Detroit compared to Lincoln. They should've redesigned the LS within two years of the CTS's debut instead of letting it die a shameful death. Hell, they really should've released an edgy 4-door convertible, called it the Continental, all the while building it on the Town Car's Panther chassis.

Then they wouldn't need to keep the pillars like so many 4 door cabrio concepts these days.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on November 07, 2007, 02:22:44 PM
Then they wouldn't need to keep the pillars like so many 4 door cabrio concepts these days.

That's the genius of it! :praise:

I impress myself too much sometimes :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 07, 2007, 02:29:08 PM
That's the genius of it! :praise:

I impress myself too much sometimes :lol:

*Gives Vin a pat on the back*

Vinsanity

ChrisV

Quote from: USA_Idol on November 07, 2007, 01:20:40 PM
Going back even thirty years (1977), I can't remember a single Mercury that wasn't simply a rebadge (or a mild rework of the profile) of a US or Euro Ford model. :huh:

When I say lately, you have to remember that MY Mercury is a '60s model, and Mercury had already been around for 30 years at that point. To me, anything newer than the mid '60s is a late model car.

But cars like the FWD Cougar are more than a simple rebadge of the Contour, it was a rebody of the Contour, which is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Much like my Comet is a rebody of the Falcon (of course, the Mustang was a similar rebody of the Falcon), with a different wheelbase and different sheetmetal all around.