2008 Mustang Bullitt

Started by omicron, November 07, 2007, 09:02:16 AM

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Nethead on November 07, 2007, 01:13:52 PM
nickdrinkwater:but they won't set you back so much that you can't become nickdrinkliquor if you so decide.

:lol:

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on November 07, 2007, 02:03:14 PM
incase you don't want to be a marketing pawn... this article from 2001 and notice what happens when you put 87 octane in a car calling for 91 octane - you can do it, you just don't get peak performance

identical to:
"Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine."

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/3604/regular-or-premium.html
Right from your article:

"But, noted Schiller, only a few vehicles calibrated for regular fuel can advance timing beyond their nominal ideal setting when burning premium."

This is something the Bullitt can do.

FordSVT

Quote from: Ron From Regina on November 07, 2007, 12:07:30 PM

The GT500 has better availability than that around here. When I went and checked one out a few weeks ago at Sask's only SVT dealer, they said the bidding starts at 80k. No, thank-you.

Too many idiots from Alberta with too much money poaching cars across the border? They had a red GT500 coupe for $61,000 and a blue convertible for $69,000 at the dealership in Fredericton, NB this summer. That's a lot more than MSRP but not 80K. They both sold within a couple of weeks, but the buyers could have come from anywhere.

SVT666

Quote from: FordSVT on November 07, 2007, 03:17:41 PM
Too many idiots from Alberta with too much money poaching cars across the border? They had a red GT500 coupe for $61,000 and a blue convertible for $69,000 at the dealership in Fredericton, NB this summer. That's a lot more than MSRP but not 80K. They both sold within a couple of weeks, but the buyers could have come from anywhere.
Stupid Albertans with all their money.  GT500's are still going for almost $90K in Calgary and Edmonton and when the car first came out they were selling for as much as $105,000.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 01:33:13 PM
Daytime running lights are mandatory in the US too so thats not a problem anymore.  Importing a car into Canada is as simple as faxing the border crossing that you will be taking a copy of the registration 72 hours before you cross the border and then you drive it across.  The guages do not have to be switched and all that's needed is an out of province safety inspection when you get it here.

I don't believe that DRLs are required in the U.S.  Permitted, but not required.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

I really like it

Just wondering though, they couldn't put a 6 speed into this? Is this so it stays close to the original?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

SVT666

Quote from: Danish on November 07, 2007, 04:50:37 PM
I really like it

Just wondering though, they couldn't put a 6 speed into this? Is this so it stays close to the original?
No.  The GT has a 5 speed so this got a 5 speed.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on November 07, 2007, 04:45:16 PM

I don't believe that DRLs are required in the U.S.  Permitted, but not required.
I was positive that DRL's are on all new cars in the US.

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 05:04:57 PM

Not true. Our A4 doesn't have DRL's.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

The Pirate

If you care to read this (it's long and boring), it gives parameters for specs of DRL's, but makes no mention of them being required.  I do know that several manufacturers equip DRLs but install a switch which can turn them off.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/49cfr571.108.htm

Edit:  this copy is apparently from 2004, but I didn't find any updates on the NHTSA website.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sandertheshark

This is the Mustang I'd most want to buy.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 05:09:04 PM
oh.

I believe that DRLs are required for all cars, but not required to be activated.  My E320 was said to have DRLs, but the default position was off.  I could turn my DRLs off in the Passat by simply buying a Euro-spec light switch.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

GM vehicles all have them, but none of the Hondas I know of do.

I don't know why.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

USA_Idol

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 07, 2007, 11:18:50 PM

I don't know why.

I'm pretty sure Accord has had DRL's standard since 2006 and the Civic has had them standard since the current generation debuted (2006).  I'm not sure about the rest of the line, though.

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 07, 2007, 02:32:11 PM
Right from your article:

"But, noted Schiller, only a few vehicles calibrated for regular fuel can advance timing beyond their nominal ideal setting when burning premium."

This is something the Bullitt can do.

The Bullitt is calibrated for premium and can detune itself for 87 octane just like the M3 and Saab did in the article 6 years ago...and every other turbo car or car calibrated for premium gas sold today does  :rolleyes:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Nethead

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 07, 2007, 11:18:50 PM

I don't know why.

SoupDude is correct:  DRLs are not mandatory in US Vehicle Codes. GM standardized them on all their cars (and maybe trucks, too) some years back, but the idea did not catch on (Mercury considered making them standard on all Mercs around 1970, but found no customers would ever buy a car just because it had DRLs and no one would pay extra for them).  I believe I read somewhere a year or two ago that GM stopped equipping many (or all?) of their cars with DRLs for the same reason that Mercury never did equip their cars with DRLs.
So many stairs...so little time...

FordSVT

How much more can they possibly cost than a no-DRL car?? Bulbs last for ages these days, I don't have to replace a headlight more than once every 3-4 years for $20.

And they do have a safety benefit.

ChrisV

Quote from: FordSVT on November 08, 2007, 08:21:25 AM
How much more can they possibly cost than a no-DRL car?? Bulbs last for ages these days, I don't have to replace a headlight more than once every 3-4 years for $20.

And they do have a safety benefit.

They apparently feel that if you want the safety benefit of the lights on, you can easily turn the lights on with the normal switch.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on November 08, 2007, 09:45:24 AM
They apparently feel that if you want the safety benefit of the lights on, you can easily turn the lights on with the normal switch.
It's not the same thing.  DRL's are set at 60% of the brightness of low beams.  I think they're great.  When they first came out I thought they were kinda dumb, but I realized not too long afterward that it was just I that was dumb.  I'm a big fan of DRL's.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 08, 2007, 09:55:31 AM
It's not the same thing.  DRL's are set at 60% of the brightness of low beams.

Some are, some are just the bright filament in the turn signals. Some are low beams that are on at half power, some are high beams on at half power. If you want to have them on to be seen, then flipping the headlight switch on will let you be seen, and if it's low beams it's not going to be blinding anyone in the daytime.

QuoteI think they're great.  When they first came out I thought they were kinda dumb, but I realized not too long afterward that it was just I that was dumb.  I'm a big fan of DRL's.

Except when you want to drive stealthy and blend in with traffic.

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on November 08, 2007, 10:05:15 AM
Except when you want to drive stealthy and blend in with traffic.
When everyone has DRL's you do blend in.

They make passing on two lane highways safer since you can see cars from further away and beige, black, brown, dark blue, and green cars don't blend in with their surroundings.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 08, 2007, 10:10:52 AM
When everyone has DRL's you do blend in.

They make passing on two lane highways safer since you can see cars from further away and beige, black, brown, dark blue, and green cars don't blend in with their surroundings.

Sometimes I want my black car to blend in. Especially if I'm exceeding the speed limit. :lol:

And if everyone has them on, you don't stand out anymore, which is the point on motorcycles. If everyone uses them, then you defeat the purpose of them both on cars and on motorcycles.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 08, 2007, 09:55:31 AM
It's not the same thing.  DRL's are set at 60% of the brightness of low beams.  I think they're great.  When they first came out I thought they were kinda dumb, but I realized not too long afterward that it was just I that was dumb.  I'm a big fan of DRL's.
I felt the same way.  In practice, I can see the advantage.  When driving in the US, I always have to readjust to the traffic without DRL...just that much less noticeable at a glance.  Motorcycles are even that much (much) more less noticeable at a glance, as we are less likely to notice them approaching unless we, deliberately, look.  With DRL, the bright light catches your eye even peripherally.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

in the US, motorcycles need to have their headlights on...