The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

Payman

SJ_GTI

You are buying it yourself?

Good luck if you are! That would be a nice car to keep forever.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Tony may not have fixed that one yet.  :lol:

Payman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 15, 2021, 08:52:15 AM
You are buying it yourself?

Good luck if you are! That would be a nice car to keep forever.

Yessir! It'll be a keeper. Sold the Cabrio, still have the Miata but giving it to daughter. This will be my car.

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on April 15, 2021, 09:03:33 AM
Tony may not have fixed that one yet.  :lol:

The EFI Spider has a very good reputation, probably Fiat's most reliable car ever.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on April 15, 2021, 09:17:02 AM
The EFI Spider has a very good reputation, probably Fiat's most reliable car ever.
Is it close by?  is it original or restored?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 15, 2021, 09:24:20 AM
Is it close by?  is it original or restored?

100% mint original. It's near Ottawa, and the earliest I can get it is the 24th, so fingers crossed.

CaminoRacer

Nice. Fuel injected is probably nicer than carb'd. Is the rubber in good condition? (Hoses, belts, etc)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 15, 2021, 10:23:52 AM
Nice. Fuel injected is probably nicer than carb'd. Is the rubber in good condition? (Hoses, belts, etc)

I hope so?

JWC

Quote from: Rockraven on April 15, 2021, 08:39:57 AM
Currently in negotiations. It's got 7000 original miles on it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1559117481

One of my favorite sports cars.

I had planned on a Miata this year, but that ain't happening. I wanted a first gen because it looked so much like an old Lotus.

It is difficult looking back at my age and remembering turning down a Camaro RS vert @$2500 and buying a Civic instead.
Or deciding against a new Alfa Spyder.
Or a Triumph Stag for $500 (needed a rear hub)

But, that's life. Now I spend time trying to find what I didn't buy then.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: JWC on April 17, 2021, 11:51:25 AM
But, that's life. Now I spend time trying to find what I didn't buy then.

RIGHT?????
Will

AutobahnSHO

So I drove I-20 across South Carolina then up I-95 to Kenly NC (and back) again yesterday.

1-90% less traffic than 3 weeks ago, which was NICE.

2-Counted 6 rental RVs, 3 headed north, 3 south

3-a Cadillac vert with the top down. (Only top down I saw all day!)

4-car carrier full of smashed cars. Makes me think they all run "well enough" to drive onto the truck cuz otherwise I don't know how you would get them on there?

5- A new Chevy pickup pulling a (1950s?) red Ford pickup on a trailer. Looked super clean, and SUPER SUPER SHORT. The bed was about the same length as the hatchback in our Subaru LOL.
Will

shp4man

I really want this old Dodge. I know, I'm crazy, but damn, it's a time machine.

Original 1949 California plates!

It's 1949 here.

It's not the most beautiful car ever made, but really nice. Plus Spitfire engine! (Chrysler flathead 6)

Maybe just add some super wide whitewalls from that era. Oh ya.

He's asking $7900.

FoMoJo

Does it have that weird Fluid Drive?  A friend of mine had one, that I used to drive quite a bit.  Stick a torque converter in front of a standard transmission and you could pretend it was an automatic.  Leave it in third and it felt like you needed to get out and push to get it going.

Interesting non-the-less.

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 04, 2021, 09:08:58 PM
Does it have that weird Fluid Drive?  A friend of mine had one, that I used to drive quite a bit.  Stick a torque converter in front of a standard transmission and you could pretend it was an automatic.  Leave it in third and it felt like you needed to get out and push to get it going.

I think this one is just a three/tree.

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 04, 2021, 09:08:58 PM

Huh! Why didn't that catch on? Must've made for super easy shifting.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on May 04, 2021, 10:34:57 PM
They were around for about 15 years.  By then, fully automatic transmissions were a more popular alternative.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on May 04, 2021, 10:34:57 PM

Super inefficient - much of how that tranny worked was by slipping the torque converter like a bad clutch. Pretty cool for its day, but hot on its heals was the modern 3sp AT which would carry the industry into the '80s (starting with the Mopar TorqueFlight), which still used a torque converter but between an additional gear and torque converter design (very little slippage) it was much more efficient (and higher performance too).

CaminoRacer

Yeah, the good part of manuals IS the clutch with it's direct connection. If you have a torque converter, might as well have the gears shift automatically.

Modern DCTs are the ideal evolution of that torque converter manual. Keep the clutch but automate it. Of course modern automatics have improved a ton too, with locking torque converters and the ability to make 10 speeds. (which makes CVTs mostly irrelevant)

GoCougs

And now here comes said modern slushie for its second act, even recently displacing many DCTs (BMW M cars, Audi S and RS cars, let alone the defunct Ford and Acura attempts). Now owning a ZF 8, I have to say it's good enough for 98% of performance applications. Only something like the upmarket 911s, Ferrari, or the like really benefits from a DCT (and whose owners can weather the downsides).

shp4man

This was a tremendous amount of work to do, and whoever did it had a pretty good eye except for that area above the rear wheel.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/chula-vista-1968-volkswagen-beetle/7325887530.html
$5K. This could be a real work of art. Early front fenders, early bumpers and tailights, another leaking VW motor, a bunch of restoration work? Not enough weekend time.

CaminoRacer

I saw a chopped VW at a car show last weekend. The lady that chopped it did a fantastic job, I know those cars aren't easy to chop.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 27, 2021, 10:32:35 PM
I saw a chopped VW at a car show last weekend. The lady that chopped it did a fantastic job, I know those cars aren't easy to chop.

Flat windshields help a lot though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Trying to get this old timer to play ball (he responds to emails, but won't answer a few basic questions (engine size, etc.)):  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/graham-1978-rs-camaro-lt-price-reduced/7323658893.html

This is actually a fairly rare model. There were hundreds of thousands of LT Camaros made, but this is the RS LT. Thing is "RS" usually included decals which are not present on the car. Even so "RS" doesn't mean much - some small interior upgrades, like seats and the like.

Would have to be the 350 for me to bite, but most of the non Z/28 second-gen Camaros were 305. My first car was a '79, and I literally had nightmares of it being saddled with the 305 (bore is so small it requires its own zero-performance heads - 350 heads will NOT work).

Would prefer a 4 sp. but very rare in non-Z/28 cars. The most I'd do is (roller) cam, heads mods (2.02/1.60 valves, deck it a bit to get CR up, etc.), 3.42:1 gears and limited slip, and call it a day. '78 is my second favorite year of the 2nd gen Camaro as it's the only year with the wrap-around dash and bumper covers.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2021, 01:12:54 AM
Trying to get this old timer to play ball (he responds to emails, but won't answer a few basic questions (engine size, etc.)):  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/graham-1978-rs-camaro-lt-price-reduced/7323658893.html

This is actually a fairly rare model. There were hundreds of thousands of LT Camaros made, but this is the RS LT. Thing is "RS" usually included decals which are not present on the car. Even so "RS" doesn't mean much - some small interior upgrades, like seats and the like.

Would have to be the 350 for me to bite, but most of the non Z/28 second-gen Camaros were 305. My first car was a '79, and I literally had nightmares of it being saddled with the 305 (bore is so small it requires its own zero-performance heads - 350 heads will NOT work).

Would prefer a 4 sp. but very rare in non-Z/28 cars. The most I'd do is (roller) cam, heads mods (2.02/1.60 valves, deck it a bit to get CR up, etc.), 3.42:1 gears and limited slip, and call it a day. '78 is my second favorite year of the 2nd gen Camaro as it's the only year with the wrap-around dash and bumper covers.

Not often I'd say this in a car that color, but that is really good looking.  :lol:

My uncle (mom's youngest brother, and not actually that much older than me) had one of these when he was younger. IIRC it had a 305 when he bought it, but he had a 350 put in later at some point. His older brothers, and my older uncles, were mainly into 50's era cars so his car stood out a bit from the crowd, but we all thought it was a great car.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2021, 01:12:54 AM

Nice car, but I'd have to mullet over.

(badum-tish)