The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: JWC on September 30, 2021, 11:01:31 PM
The Buick's nice, but I would still prefer the wagon.  I've always had a thing for "station wagons".

+1
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 29, 2021, 07:24:39 PM
I like the Buick the most.

But I like the big Ford coupes the most. 1969 Ford Torino or a mid-60s Galaxie 500
Something for your stable when you have more dollars than sense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRv-420iDiA&t=18s
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

I'm gonna go with Buick there too. The '63-'65 Riviera was a world changer - not even Caddy could match it. Muscle car power (dual 4bbl 7L V8) with the Grand Sport option, legit 3 sp AT in '64 (Ford's 3 sp. C6 was still a couple of years away) with trick multi-stall torque convert (not equaled, even by Mopar, till the '90s), coils springs front and rear plus available power accessories, leather and AC:

The '66 went to the new body style with wicked modernized interior, esp. trick with the drum speedo (replaced with a typical need style in '68) and option console and floor shifter:

Honorable mention for the '66-'67 Olds Toronado. Its failings were rear leaf suspension and terrible brakes. Probably the top exterior design of the '60s even sans FWD, second to only the Corvettes. Even had a bit more power than the Buick (385 hp):

shp4man

GoCougs

This is my ideal Fuselage Mopar: '72 Imperial Lebaron. LOOK AT THIS THING. 5,000 lbs and 230" long (5" longer than a 2022 Suburban). This is peak Fuselage for me - this was the first year for the front vertical jutting protuberance driving light feature - like a canard of prominence and force yet luxury, slicing through life's complexities (in '73 they remained but the bumper grew and distorted as they all did in '73 to meet the 5 mph crash standard):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQC6Qm5ZwI

CaminoRacer

That's pretty slick. Hold out for one of those
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

I got a thing for the '71 - '73 boat-tail Riv. Came close to buying one just after I bought my house in 2013. Identical to Jason Statham's in Crank (orange w/cream vinyl top). Was $7500 at the time, and these cars are asking $20K+ now.  :banghead:

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on October 02, 2021, 11:58:50 PM
This is my ideal Fuselage Mopar: '72 Imperial Lebaron. LOOK AT THIS THING. 5,000 lbs and 230" long (5" longer than a 2022 Suburban). This is peak Fuselage for me - this was the first year for the front vertical jutting protuberance driving light feature - like a canard of prominence and force yet luxury, slicing through life's complexities (in '73 they remained but the bumper grew and distorted as they all did in '73 to meet the 5 mph crash standard):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQC6Qm5ZwI

A childhood friend who's dad owned the Esso station and Chrysler dealer across the street owned a white one. Loved that car, really left an impression on me.

JWC

Quote from: Rockraven on October 04, 2021, 12:10:38 PM
I got a thing for the '71 - '73 boat-tail Riv. Came close to buying one just after I bought my house in 2013. Identical to Jason Statham's in Crank (orange w/cream vinyl top). Was $7500 at the time, and these cars are asking $20K+ now.  :banghead:

Wish I had bought one a couple of decades ago. Love the one the Chicago detective drove in "Due South".

Submariner

Quote from: Rockraven on October 04, 2021, 12:13:29 PM
A childhood friend who's dad owned the Esso station and Chrysler dealer across the street owned a white one. Loved that car, really left an impression on me.

My mom's step grandfather bought a new imperial every year like clockwork.  During summer break she'd drive him and his wife from Massachusetts down to their home in Florida, then she would fly back.  Then she would fly down a few months later to drive them back home.  Then she would drive them down in the winter and fly back.  They hated flying but loved their home in Florida.  She got several vacations a year, plus enough money to largely cover the cost of college, when driving someone from Massachusetts to Florida a few times a year was enough to almost cover the cost of college.

She said driving it was like "driving a cloud".  The steering was "as light as a feather".  She remembered the automatic climate unit which was cutting edge back in the late 60's and early 70's.  People gawked at the car like someone would a Phantom today.  Her parents only had one car at a time and it was never anything special.  An Imperial would have been an otherworldly experience relative to a ten year old used Ford or Dodge hardtop.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2021, 05:41:06 PM
I'm gonna go with Buick there too. The '63-'65 Riviera was a world changer - not even Caddy could match it. Muscle car power (dual 4bbl 7L V8) with the Grand Sport option, legit 3 sp AT in '64 (Ford's 3 sp. C6 was still a couple of years away) with trick multi-stall torque convert (not equaled, even by Mopar, till the '90s), coils springs front and rear plus available power accessories, leather and AC:

The '66 went to the new body style with wicked modernized interior, esp. trick with the drum speedo (replaced with a typical need style in '68) and option console and floor shifter:

Honorable mention for the '66-'67 Olds Toronado. Its failings were rear leaf suspension and terrible brakes. Probably the top exterior design of the '60s even sans FWD, second to only the Corvettes. Even had a bit more power than the Buick (385 hp):

How did the FWD platform handle that big block torque?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on October 04, 2021, 04:39:24 PM

Pretty well, actually.

While he differential was offset strongly to the left, there was a right side intermediate shaft that essentially made the non-horizontal parts of the driveshafts equal length.

Plus; this was the era of overboosted power steering that squelched any sort of steering feedback into oblivion.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Submariner on October 04, 2021, 04:35:38 PM
My mom's step grandfather bought a new imperial every year like clockwork.  During summer break she'd drive him and his wife from Massachusetts down to their home in Florida, then she would fly back.  Then she would fly down a few months later to drive them back home.  Then she would drive them down in the winter and fly back.  They hated flying but loved their home in Florida.  She got several vacations a year, plus enough money to largely cover the cost of college, when driving someone from Massachusetts to Florida a few times a year was enough to almost cover the cost of college.

She said driving it was like "driving a cloud".  The steering was "as light as a feather".  She remembered the automatic climate unit which was cutting edge back in the late 60's and early 70's.  People gawked at the car like someone would a Phantom today.  Her parents only had one car at a time and it was never anything special.  An Imperial would have been an otherworldly experience relative to a ten year old used Ford or Dodge hardtop.

Buying a new car every year seems like so much work and effort. Too much paperwork
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 04, 2021, 05:03:14 PM
Buying a new car every year seems like so much work and effort. Too much paperwork
It seemed so much easier way back when.  Much less red tape.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2021, 05:41:06 PM

The 63-65 Riviera was one of GM's better (best) design efforts.  I've always liked Buicks of the '50s and '60s.

GoCougs

Quote from: Submariner on October 04, 2021, 04:39:24 PM

I've not driven one but AFAIK just dandy - no torque steer whatsoever, which is saying something, as it was available with either 385 hp or 400 hp and upwards of 500 lb-ft (gross figures, so more like ~325 hp and ~400 lb-ft by today's net HP testing standards). This transaxle was also used in the Eldorado and the then-futuristic GMC motor home of the '70s, also of Stripes fame.

Torque steer seems to be due to unequal L/R weighting due to transverse mounting of the engine/transmission combo, and the fact that all shaft motion (including engine crankshaft) is parallel to the drive axles.

Just like a regular V8, RWD car, the Toronado engine is mounted longitudinally, as is the transmission (but it is offset and driven by a chain) and the differential is driven by a perpendicular (albeit it very short) shaft. The engine is offset a bit to the passenger side for L/R weight balance.

It really was something else for the era - Detroit had nothing else like it. As noted it was in very limited use, as it was expensive, limited vehicle design (engine sits very high) and it required the use of torsion bar suspension rather than (better performing) coil springs, and ultimately, buyers didn't really care about the sole benefit for the time - no transmission/drive line tunnel intruding on passenger space.

Submariner

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on October 04, 2021, 07:23:09 PM
Why FWD then?

Completely flat front floorboard for one; but these were also beasts in the snow- I've owned two different Eldorados ('72 and '75) with (essentially) that powertrain, and they work.
Also, this was adapted to the GMC motorhome, which shows a degree of flexibility that would be difficult in a RWD sedan platform.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Submariner on October 04, 2021, 07:23:09 PM
Why FWD then?

Same as many such Detroit attempts at innovations of the era that mostly came and went - AL heads and engine blocks, fuel injection, engine ECU, IRS, OHC, etc. - somewhere between an attempt at a cool factor and experimentation. Ultimately most were too far ahead of their time but most (including FWD) would eventually become the de facto standard for how vehicles would come to be built.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 04, 2021, 11:07:20 PM
That front overhang, though!

FWIW that's entirely a styling thing - copying the European long hood/short deck/fastback design and added the canards and sloping hideaway headlights. Of course this took it to 11 what with upwards of 400 hp and a curb weight of ~4,500 lbs. Something that probably wouldn't compute in Europe at the time.

Engine's in the same spot WRT the front axle same as most any car of the era. The sloping front end and the hideaway headlights chewed up a LOT of length:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on October 04, 2021, 11:07:20 PM
That front overhang, though!

Mostly styling; a lot of dead space in front of the engines on these; compare it to most other RWD cars of the same size and era.

AutobahnSHO

"1959 MGA Roadster 1500. All original except converted the two 6 volts to one 12 volt battery and added a disconnect and an additional fuel filter. Runs excellent. Great paint . Great interior. I've owned it for 40 years. Red with white original roadster seats with red piping. Convertible top and tonneau. Both slide windows and spare tire and wheel. Everything works. Moss carpet kit. Has a repaired exterior mirror. I'm only selling because I'm downsizing and losing my storage facility. 93,916 actual miles. It is absolutely worth the drive or flight from anywhere to see it. Flaws are : small paint chip edge of hood, one cracked grill slat, some light rust on wheels, bumpers are slightly tarnished ."

Near Atlanta, $29,500

https://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/d/mitchell-mg-mga/7389124768.html
Will

Soup DeVille

Prices are so high now that a lot of things not on the market for years are getting sold. If somebody wanted a prime example of a particular car and had the money to spend, it would be an opportunity.

As it is, I'm horrifying the neighborhood by driving a 20 year old Toyota with the front fenders rusting off, because I'm too stubborn to pay a premium right now.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 10, 2021, 07:03:21 AM
Prices are so high now that a lot of things not on the market for years are getting sold. If somebody wanted a prime example of a particular car and had the money to spend, it would be an opportunity.

As it is, I'm horrifying the neighborhood by driving a 20 year old Toyota with the front fenders rusting off, because I'm too stubborn to pay a premium right now.

:lol:
Will

Soup DeVille

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 10, 2021, 11:56:25 AM
:lol:

Actually, my resolve on this front is weakening.

Mid-sized things are coming.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)