Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 08:03:45 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 09:25:38 PM
:nono:

I'm turning 27 next month. :rage: n00b.

And you don't drive an Asian car, you stereotype-breaker, you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on November 08, 2007, 09:38:32 PM
And you don't drive an Asian car, you stereotype-breaker, you.

hey gimme a break...I owned 2 Honduhs in a row. I'm having enough trouble dealing with all this torque turning the wheels behind me. It scares me. :mask:

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 09:41:49 PM
hey gimme a break...I owned 2 Honduhs in a row. I'm having enough trouble dealing with all this torque turning the wheels behind me. It scares me. :mask:

Break given.  I'm just in a really bad mood these days and you bought a damn nice car with hopefully better than normal resale value.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on November 08, 2007, 09:46:15 PM
Break given.  I'm just in a really bad mood these days and you bought a damn nice car with hopefully better than normal resale value.

haha yeah *hopefully* :) I'd like to see how long I can hold on to this car, though.

And don't fret, amigo. Soon you will be the one we'll all be jealous of when you bring home a sweet classic Bimmer :rockon:

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 09:54:42 PM
haha yeah *hopefully* :) I'd like to see how long I can hold on to this car, though.

And don't fret, amigo. Soon you will be the one we'll all be jealous of when you bring home a sweet classic Bimmer :rockon:

Except that I just blew a decent chunk of money today on the laptop which I am currently using.  It's being put on delay for a while.  Subie tuning is where I'm heading at the moment.

SVT_Power

They should take the mechanicals of this and put the last gen (0?-06) body on it
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

sportyaccordy

It's a big car to be beating up a little turbo 4.

But the more I see it, the more I like it.

If Hyundai works with the aftermarket to create a strong support system for it upon release, it could do really well, and set a paradigm for other manufacturers to follow...

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 09, 2007, 10:38:17 AM
It's a big car to be beating up a little turbo 4.

IIRC, it's not much heavier with the turbo 4 than the 2nd gen Eclipse AWD (which I recall being right around 3000 lbs)...

I wonder how similar this 2 liter turbo 4 is to the Mitsu one...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on November 09, 2007, 11:07:55 AM
IIRC, it's not much heavier with the turbo 4 than the 2nd gen Eclipse AWD (which I recall being right around 3000 lbs)...

I wonder how similar this 2 liter turbo 4 is to the Mitsu one...

If it really does come in at 3,000 for the turbo 4 model, with it's size in today's climate, I will be very surprised.

But with Hyundai these days it seems anything is possible.

The question will be, for 27-28K, will the uplevel models be worth the money over a used G35c or E46 coupe...

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 09, 2007, 11:51:26 AM
The question will be, for 27-28K, will the uplevel models be worth the money over a used G35c or E46 coupe...

They'll sure be worth it over an Accord or Altima coupe :ohyeah:

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 09, 2007, 11:51:26 AM
If it really does come in at 3,000 for the turbo 4 model, with it's size in today's climate, I will be very surprised.

But with Hyundai these days it seems anything is possible.

For a lot of people new is worth it over used, regardless. For others, we'll wait until these become used... ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

Will this become the next drifto car of the rice0r generation?  I hope it's not too heavy.  It looks like a big car.

SVT666

I thought it was coming with a V8?!?!?!?!

Either way it'll be a good competitor for the Mustang.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 08, 2007, 08:58:21 PM
But more importantly, I hope this car sends a message to all the other carmakers that makes them think "OMG why didn't WE come up with an affordable RWD 2+2 coupe before???" :devil:
If the Mustang didn't make those other car companies think that, then neither will this car.

USA_Idol

Funny that they would have a Mustang next to it because the Ford's fluid lines only serve to emphasize how awkward the beltline is on the Genesis Coupe (hopefully they just name it Tiburon). 

I guess I like the overall shape.  But straighten out the beltline, Hyundai! 

Payman

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 09, 2007, 02:14:22 PM
I thought it was coming with a V8?!?!?!?!

Either way it'll be a good competitor for the Mustang.

Read it again Hemi... a V8 version may be coming as well.

the Teuton

Hyundai has a lot of access to Mitsubishi parts.  I can only hope that this thing will get the old 4G63 in it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on November 09, 2007, 04:49:28 PM
Hyundai has a lot of access to Mitsubishi parts.  I can only hope that this thing will get the old 4G63 in it.

Why??? That iron lump is a dog emissions wise and weighs more than most modern V6s.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Why is this in mainstream?  It should be Fast Lane.

FordSVT

Quote from: Payman on November 09, 2007, 02:41:53 PM
Read it again Hemi... a V8 version may be coming as well.

Hyundai's made a lot of strides, but they've never made a V8 before. I wonder how it will turn out.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FordSVT on November 10, 2007, 03:23:17 PM
Hyundai's made a lot of strides, but they've never made a V8 before. I wonder how it will turn out.

The only thing they should have to do is take two of the 2.4L 162-hp I-4's that power the Elantra, and put them together to make one 4.8L 324-hp V8... or two of the 110-hp 1.6L I-4's that power the Accent, and make one 3.2L 220-hp V8. Either one should require a bare minimum of new engineering.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on November 10, 2007, 03:30:16 PM
The only thing they should have to do is take two of the 2.4L 162-hp I-4's that power the Elantra, and put them together to make one 4.8L 324-hp V8... or two of the 110-hp 1.6L I-4's that power the Accent, and make one 3.2L 220-hp V8. Either one should require a bare minimum of new engineering.
I hope you're joking.

sportyaccordy

There will be no V8 version of this, they're leaving that for the sedan.

Though, it's not hard to fab up a block, if the heads are already made... if you're a multibillion dollar car company, that is.

FordSVT

Quote from: NACar on November 10, 2007, 03:30:16 PM

Sweet god, Man, it's not that simple, and there's no guarantee that either of their current 4 cylinders would be suitable as being "half a block" of a V8. There are only a few successful examples of companies doing this. All of them required a lot more than a "bare minimum" of new engineering.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 03:43:12 PM
I hope you're joking.

Quote from: FordSVT on November 10, 2007, 03:56:13 PM
Sweet god, Man, it's not that simple, and there's no guarantee that either of their current 4 cylinders would be suitable as being "half a block" of a V8. There are only a few successful examples of companies doing this. All of them required a lot more than a "bare minimum" of new engineering.

How can you guys be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?
Oh no, they might have to cast a new block, make new cam shafts, manifolds, reprogram the ECU and a few other odds and ends. IMOPOSSIBLE! For fuck's sake, people, it's a lot easier to build an engine out of parts you already have and know they work, rather than starting everything from scratch - especially with the amount of engineering that goes into every single little thing. For a gigantic company like Hyundai, it would save a lot of money. I'm not suggesting that a shadetree mechanic should attempt to do this in his garage, but there's no black magic involved, either, despite what you guys seem to think. Next time, think about the context of what I'm saying before you try to make me look like the short-sighted shit-head.
:rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

Hyundai has a V8 and has had one for a while.  It's in Korea's Equus.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on November 10, 2007, 04:21:11 PM

How can you guys be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?
Oh no, they might have to cast a new block, make new cam shafts, manifolds, reprogram the ECU and a few other odds and ends. IMOPOSSIBLE! For fuck's sake, people, it's a lot easier to build an engine out of parts you already have and know they work, rather than starting everything from scratch - especially with the amount of engineering that goes into every single little thing. For a gigantic company like Hyundai, it would save a lot of money. I'm not suggesting that a shadetree mechanic should attempt to do this in his garage, but there's no black magic involved, either, despite what you guys seem to think. Next time, think about the context of what I'm saying before you try to make me look like the short-sighted shit-head.
:rolleyes:

The Aston Martin V12 is basically two Duratecs grafted together.  The W8 Passat was a similar idea, too.  It's not horribly difficult for a car company to do.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on November 10, 2007, 04:34:48 PM
The Aston Martin V12 is basically two Duratecs grafted together. 
That's a lot different then taking two 4 bangers and making a V8 out of them. :cheers:

Raghavan

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 04:45:46 PM
That's a lot different then taking two 4 bangers and making a V8 out of them. :cheers:
OK... How?