What say you?

Started by LonghornTX, November 08, 2007, 10:27:47 PM

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on April 15, 2008, 07:02:09 PM
Craigslist or eBay it is then.

I think I'm going to try to push power up to 350 crank.  It's got too much first gear wheelspin right now (I'm still working on the diff), and the rear end is really playful on SM tires, but I don't want to make second gear a smoky affair. 

If I build one up for real more power isn't really on my agenda.  I may let the plant breathe better, but that's it; I'm not expecting more than 320 at the crank.  I was thinking today how the GTO is actually a better car; 29mpg under old EPA, better shifting 6 speed manual, better handling, more comfortable, better interior, comfortable rear seat, and not a sunroof between the two (a negative in each column becomes irrelevant); but it is the flaws of the Mustang that make it so endearing.
The GTO has never done a thing for me personally.  Rather heavy feeling, with a shifter that I thought was pretty close to bad (below average), definitely less to my liking than the Mustang IMO.  I would put the handling towards the Mustang on a smooth road (better steering) and towards the GTO on a rougher road (softer, more compliant suspension).  Modified, the Mustang is going to rung rings around the GTO due to its lower weight, wider track, and superior aftermarket. 29 epa is surprising and not totally believable to me as a true measure; the old standards allowed a lot. And it's ugly (or very plain if you choose to be nice).

It does have a great engine and interior, with nicer materials and seats than those found in the Mustang.  And it is likely more comfortable on a daily basis.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 15, 2008, 09:31:17 PM
The GTO has never done a thing for me personally.  Rather heavy feeling, with a shifter that I thought was pretty close to bad (below average), definitely less to my liking than the Mustang IMO.  I would put the handling towards the Mustang on a smooth road (better steering) and towards the GTO on a rougher road (softer, more compliant suspension).  Modified, the Mustang is going to rung rings around the GTO due to its lower weight, wider track, and superior aftermarket. 29 epa is surprising and not totally believable to me as a true measure; the old standards allowed a lot. And it's ugly (or very plain if you choose to be nice).

It does have a great engine and interior, with nicer materials and seats than those found in the Mustang.  And it is likely more comfortable on a daily basis.

You're slowly turning into Nethead!

I've driven several S197s and several GTOs.  I wouldn't bet on the Mustang for covering distance at speed; the GTO just handles better. 

And I happen to love the looks.   :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 15, 2008, 09:31:17 PM
Modified, the Mustang is going to rung rings around the GTO due to its lower weight, wider track, and superior aftermarket. .
You'll need 100hp just to break even with the 400hp GTOs. Just hope that the GTO you want to "run rings around" hasn't had any aftermarket work done to it also!  ;)
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

not sure if i commented in this thread... but its looking pretty damn good  :ohyeah:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on April 15, 2008, 11:35:02 PM
You're slowly turning into Nethead!

I've driven several S197s and several GTOs.  I wouldn't bet on the Mustang for covering distance at speed; the GTO just handles better. 

And I happen to love the looks.   :lol:
Well, I would disagree.  I drove a few of the LS2 cars in my search and found them to be average handlers.  Certainly not bad (they are great compared to most cars) and well above average, but the steering was pretty dull (never drove a car with summer tire option) and the car rolled excessively for my tastes (as did the Mustang, though).  Really, neither car handles great stock and choosing which you prefer is gonna become a crapshoot.  The Mustang feels lighter and sharper, the GTO more fluid and composed.

LonghornTX

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on April 15, 2008, 11:47:15 PM
You'll need 100hp just to break even with the 400hp GTOs. Just hope that the GTO you want to "run rings around" hasn't had any aftermarket work done to it also!  ;)
Well, of course in a straight line the LS2 GTOs are going to be quite a bit quicker out of the box.  "Run rings around" was meant to signal a track racing type of situation and in that situation, I stand by my statement.  I looked at the LS2 GTO while considering my purchase and looked at the aftermarket that is supporting it.  I found plenty of people making parts to go faster in a straighline, not so much in the cornering.

LonghornTX

Quote from: r0tor on April 16, 2008, 06:50:57 AM
not sure if i commented in this thread... but its looking pretty damn good  :ohyeah:
Thanks!

MX793

What rear axle ratio did you end up getting with the car?  The optional 3.55 or the standard ratio (3.31, IIRC).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

Quote from: MX793 on April 16, 2008, 08:08:30 PM
What rear axle ratio did you end up getting with the car?  The optional 3.55 or the standard ratio (3.31, IIRC).
The 3.55, though I am thinking of going to 3.90 gears.

Nethead

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 14, 2008, 09:18:36 PM
So just don't pull all the way forward in parking spaces. My front end won't clear sidewalks, curbs, the parking space bumps but all you have to do is stop before them and you're fine. You just have to learn to take parking lots and driveways very slow and at an angle.

JYODER240:  Of course you're right.  When my customized Datsun truck :wub: had a deep front spoiler, I grew tired of all that eventually.  It had candyapple paint, so if I dinged it--as happened to the driver's side fiberglass front fender flare :(--it meant another trip to "Kolor Me Kustom" in Analheim and a long wait while they worked off their backlog of big-bucks customers.  I kick myself still for not having the paint done by Pete Santini, whose custom shop was in HoChiMinhster at the time. But Santini didn't weld seams--his people used plastics to cover over the seams--whereas KMK welded :wub:.  The bodywork by KMK was superb and done right--welding all the seams, welding up the sidemarker light holes, welding up the tacky plastic B-pillar vent holes, welding a custom rear valance panel, hammering & smoothing the raised "DATSUN" lettering off the tailgate.  Other shops probably coulda done a better job of recessing the license plate into the tailgate, but KMK's effort was still quite good. 

But Santini was The Man for custom paint--he knew it better than any custom painter I've ever come across in my life, and I still stand in awe of his work and knowledge.  But splitting the bodywork and the custom painting would've eaten even deeper into a poor dude's budget, so I let KMK do it all.  Santini woulda gotten the candyapple gold exactly the shade I wanted it whereas KMK used their supplier's candyapple and it wasn't close enough to satisfy me.  I tolerated it, but always knew that Santini woulda got it spot on...

But I digress...LongDude's not painting his carbon fiber splitter to match the 'Stang's paint, so he's going the right route :ohyeah:.  For me, parking ain't what I care to think about anymore--parking is waaaayyy too catch-as-catch-can in Pennsylvania, not to mention potholes over in the Poconos that would roll "The Gravedigger" and "Bigfoot".  Texas is fairly flat--and the state has money--so LongDude will probably be fine with a splitter underneath a lowered bumper...
So many stairs...so little time...

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Gotta-Qik-C7

S204STi

You live in TX which is pretty much beautiful all the time, so I'd hit the Z4 M coupe personally.  No need for the AWD rally specials when you can get a BMW which will drive better than either of them and is just as quick.

S204STi

Er, necro threads much?

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on November 09, 2009, 08:56:30 PM
You live in TX which is pretty much beautiful all the time, so I'd hit the Z4 M coupe personally.  No need for the AWD rally specials when you can get a BMW which will drive better than either of them and is just as quick.

psst the thread's from 2 years ago today
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rich

I still can't believe this guy blew 30k+ on a NEW Mustang right out of college that was supposed to be replaced by the 2010 in 12 months.

There were so many used ones out there.... Hope he keeps it a while because as of now he's lost about $12k and still truckin'
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Cookie Monster

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 09, 2009, 10:02:44 PM
I still can't believe this guy blew 30k+ on a NEW Mustang right out of college that was supposed to be replaced by the 2010 in 12 months.

There were so many used ones out there.... Hope he keeps it a while because as of now he's lost about $12k and still truckin'
This was in '07 dude...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Gotta-Qik-C7

TBR

You can't really know what's going to come out that far in advance.

Submariner

What ever happened to Mr. Yoder?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Submariner on November 10, 2009, 09:09:42 AM
What ever happened to Mr. Yoder?
I was wondering the same thing.