What say you?

Started by LonghornTX, November 08, 2007, 10:27:47 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2007, 10:15:26 AM
I'm sure he's thought his finances through thoroughly.  Hell, Dave just bought an S2000 and he's in middle school.  Some people can afford more earlier.

Christ, you're a riot....

I could EASILY go get a G37 right now... but if shit hits the fan I'm screwed. I would wait, man. Having a nice car is cool, but I've learned over the past few months that having money just sitting around is even cooler...

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 10, 2007, 10:22:06 AM

I could EASILY go get a G37 right now... but if shit hits the fan I'm screwed. I would wait, man. Having a nice car is cool, but I've learned over the past few months that having money just sitting around is even cooler...
I've learned that owning a house, condo, townhouse, etc. is a lot cooler then driving a cool car and renting.

CALL_911

Longhorn, you want to give me the E34 after you get your new car? Please?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 10, 2007, 10:22:06 AM

Yeah, I never said you didn't think about your situation. 

This is more of that "You can never afford to buy a car" mentality that runs rampant through this forum.  You've weighed your options and came to your decision.  He weighed his and came to his own decision.  If it's a different decision based on different information than the decision you made with your information, he must be an idiot, right? 

:rolleyes:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 10, 2007, 07:08:10 AM
I'll focus on comparing the Z4M to the 135i. If fun to drive is your priority, I'd get the Z4M. It is a much more special car than the 135i. You need to really drive that thing and it will make you happy every time. However, you must be willing to tolerate the ride and the limits of having only two seats.

The 135i according to initial reports from mags is a bit softer than expected, maybe as soft or softer than a 335i. It sure is extraordinarily capable and most likely will match or beat the Z4M in a straight line, but its just not as "special" as the Z4M. It's pluses are the rear seats, better ride and much better mileage. If you plan to track your car do consider that the 3.0 TT runs very hot and might not be as durable as the M engine (which used to blow up in pre-2004 M3s but not anymore!).

I agree with you regarding the Z4M vs Z4 3.0si logic. The M is not that much more expensive and you get a much racier engine plus better looks and the important diff.
That is the way I have it broken down in my mind as well.

The thing is, the only reason I could even think about getting an M Coupe is because of the phenominal deals they are doing on remaining 07s (combined with $7500 in marketing support from BMW that ends this month).  So, when I buy in December, this option may not still be there.  It will be hard to pass up this if it is still available.

As far as the 135i goes, most of the complaints about it will be easily fixed IMO with some different tires and some coilovers  :rockon:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

For everyone mentioning the finances of this all, don't worry.  I will have enough extra saved up (after purchasing the car) to also put a DP on a starter house or to use as a nestegg/rainy day fund if need be.  Living at home during college, while also working (and saving a lot!) has given me this opportunity.  Of course, if homeboy here doesn't get a job, none of this will happen because I am obviously not going to buy a car of this price without SOME income.

LonghornTX

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 10, 2007, 03:21:24 PM
Longhorn, you want to give me the E34 after you get your new car? Please?
Haha, I'll think about it.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 12:02:10 PM
I've learned that owning a house, condo, townhouse, etc. is a lot cooler then driving a cool car and renting.

More than a few almost-graduates, including myself, had designs on cool, expensive cars, to be bought once the first "real" job was landed. Of course, real life turns out to be 10x more expensive once you get into it.

If you've got less than $100k in the bank, are making less than $100k/yr, and don't own a home, a $45k car is just not a good idea. No offense to LonghornTX, but I don't think it'll happen.

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2007, 02:47:02 PM
If you've got less than $100k in the bank, are making less than $100k/yr, and don't own a home, a $45k car is just not a good idea. No offense to LonghornTX, but I don't think it'll happen.
You don't think what will happen?  I promise you, I know what I can afford, and 45k is within that range.  Is buying a new car in this situation the most prudent financial decision that could be made?  Of course not.  In fact, buying ANY new car is theoretically a bad decision because of their ultra high depreciation, regardless of your financial status. 

But here we are, as car enthusiasts, talking about buying new cars.  I am young and will probably only have this one chance in my life to have something as crazy as an M Coupe.  When I get a family, it will be a LONG while before I feel ok spending this much on a new car, thus I am taking advantage of this opportunity when I can afford to have something like this. 

You may think that is crazy, but I have confidence in my earning and professional potential and I know that I can make my way just fine with this purchase.  The car will be purchased in full and will be kept for 4-5 years, avoiding finance expenses and still retaining a decent amount of residual when it comes time to sell.  At that point I will probably get something more sensible like a GTI or an Si. 

Of course, this is assuming I get a job that I like and that pays well, but I have no reason to think that won't happen.

SVT666

More than a few almost-graduates, including myself, had designs on cool, expensive cars, to be bought once the first "real" job was landed. Of course, real life turns out to be 10x more expensive once you get into it.
Owning a house, monthly bills, etc. all cost more then anyone ever expects.  That's why I said he should buy an apartment or a townhouse and a used Mustang until he can determine what his living expenses will be.  I planned for things, and I was in no way prepared for the financial realities of living on my own...no matter what my parents told me.

TBR

If he has the cash I am not quite sure how you all figure he can't afford it. Yes, there are certainly more wise things to do with the money (like buying a nice Sunfire, and a couple of engines...:devil:), but it isn't like he'll be forced to live in whatever he buys. He's looking at $50k/year plus a signing bonus (for those one time expenses associated with setting up house), not a bunch but not a little either, plenty for a single guy to live on, especially in Texas.

I personally would be inclined to use the money as a down payment on a house, especially considering the state of the real estate market, but if that isn't a priority for him then so be it.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2007, 08:23:45 PM
If he has the cash I am not quite sure how you all figure he can't afford it. Yes, there are certainly more wise things to do with the money (like buying a nice Sunfire, and a couple of engines...:devil:)[/b], but it isn't like he'll be forced to live in whatever he buys. He's looking at $50k/year plus a signing bonus (for those one time expenses associated with setting up house), not a bunch but not a little either, plenty for a single guy to live on, especially in Texas.

I personally would be inclined to use the money as a down payment on a house, especially considering the state of the real estate market, but if that isn't a priority for him then so be it.

:clap: :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

LonghornTX

Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2007, 08:23:45 PM
If he has the cash I am not quite sure how you all figure he can't afford it. Yes, there are certainly more wise things to do with the money (like buying a nice Sunfire, and a couple of engines...:devil:), but it isn't like he'll be forced to live in whatever he buys. He's looking at $50k/year plus a signing bonus (for those one time expenses associated with setting up house), not a bunch but not a little either, plenty for a single guy to live on, especially in Texas.

I have a potential house DP saved up as well (approx. 10% of a 150K house, which is quite reasonable for around here).  If I was going to spend that too, I would be looking at Z06s, haha.

CALL_911

He asked for our advice on the car, not his finances. If he feels that he can afford a $45k car, isn't that his problem?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 11, 2007, 09:10:59 PM
He asked for our advice on the car, not his finances. If he feels that he can afford a $45k car, isn't that his problem?

My thoughts exactly. He is an adult, he knows what he is doing. I say go for it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Onslaught

Nethead

LonghornTX: LongDude, you sound well-prepared for your post-college future--having a ten percent DP on a home is damned commendable for a new college graduate! :clap:

Let's talk about this paragraph:

"You may think that is crazy, but I have confidence in my earning and professional potential and I know that I can make my way just fine with this purchase.  The car will be purchased in full and will be kept for 4-5 years, avoiding finance expenses and still retaining a decent amount of residual when it comes time to sell.  At that point I will probably get something more sensible like a GTI or an Si."

First of all, such fine preparation on your part is in no way crazy! Confidence is a good quality, too! :ohyeah:

Of the cars you've listed, the Bullitt will appreciate in direct proportion to the length of ownership--an extremely desirable low-volume model of a very desirable American icon in its forty-fourth straight year. Barrett Jackson will start calling YOU in twenty years :praise:, and will probably guarantee you such a price in thirty years that you'll agree to put your Bullitt up for auction at that time.  Who can resist three-fold or four-fold appreciation after you've had a riotously good time in it for three decades and counting? 

Between now and then, you have a fabulous ride that also has 2+2 seating for a spouse and two children--which means your family doesn't outgrow your vehicle fairly soon after marriage. And like the 135i, the 60/40 backseat provides lots of extra cargo capability when you need it. And it's the coolest of the cool :mrcool:--your car on the streets of 'Frisco every time you watch "Bullitt 2" :popcorn:("Daddy, is that you raising Hell again on the streets of San Francisco?"  "No, kids--that's my stunt double, Brad Pitt.")!  Furthermore, NOT modifying it makes it worth even more in thirty years! Actually, you can modify the Hell out of it as long as you box up the stock pieces for restoring the car to its OEM equipment standards in 2038! The Mustang GT has lots of excellent standard equipment--one-touch power windows, power remote mirrors, P/S, 4-wheel power discs, A/C, flip-down 60/40 rear seat, chassis stiffness of a bridge girder, 5-star safety ratings in all categories, only an eight-percent likelihood of rollover in a collision (tied for third place with the RX-8 amongst all cars sold in the US--only the Mazda MX-5 and the
BMW Z4 are rated higher at a seven-percent likelihood, BUT the Bullitt rides lower than the Mustang GT so it may come in at seven-percent or even lower when Bullitts are available for NHTSB testing) and the Bullitt improves upon all of that! And you've still got a big chunk of that $45,000 left over... :thumbsup: :partyon:

So many stairs...so little time...

CALL_911

That said, I would get the Z4 M.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

i put money down on my car a month after i graduated (a week after i started my job) and took delivery when it shipped 2 months later  :praise:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

LonghornTX

Quote from: Nethead on November 12, 2007, 10:10:43 AM
LonghornTX: LongDude, you sound well-prepared for your post-college future--having a ten percent DP on a home is damned commendable for a new college graduate! :clap:

Let's talk about this paragraph:

"You may think that is crazy, but I have confidence in my earning and professional potential and I know that I can make my way just fine with this purchase.  The car will be purchased in full and will be kept for 4-5 years, avoiding finance expenses and still retaining a decent amount of residual when it comes time to sell.  At that point I will probably get something more sensible like a GTI or an Si."

First of all, such fine preparation on your part is in no way crazy! Confidence is a good quality, too! :ohyeah:

Of the cars you've listed, the Bullitt will appreciate in direct proportion to the length of ownership--an extremely desirable low-volume model of a very desirable American icon in its forty-fourth straight year. Barrett Jackson will start calling YOU in twenty years :praise:, and will probably guarantee you such a price in thirty years that you'll agree to put your Bullitt up for auction at that time.  Who can resist three-fold or four-fold appreciation after you've had a riotously good time in it for three decades and counting? 

Between now and then, you have a fabulous ride that also has 2+2 seating for a spouse and two children--which means your family doesn't outgrow your vehicle fairly soon after marriage. And like the 135i, the 60/40 backseat provides lots of extra cargo capability when you need it. And it's the coolest of the cool :mrcool:--your car on the streets of 'Frisco every time you watch "Bullitt 2" :popcorn:("Daddy, is that you raising Hell again in San Francisco?"  "No, kids--that's my stunt double, Brad Pitt.")!  Furthermore, NOT modifying it makes it worth even more in thirty years! Actually, you can modify the Hell out of it as long as you box up the stock pieces for restoring the car to its OEM equipment standards in 2038! The Mustang GT has lots of excellent standard equipment--one-touch power windows, power remote mirrors, P/S, 4-wheel power discs, A/C, flip-down rear seat, chassis stiffness of a bridge girder, 5-star safety ratings in all categories, only an eight-percent likelihood of rollover in a collision (tied for third place with the RX-8 amongst all cars sold in the US--only the MX-5 and the Z-4 are rated higher at a seven-percent likelihood, BUT the Bullitt rides lower than the Mustang GT so it may come in at seven-percent or even lower when Bullitts are available for NHTSB testing) and the Bullitt improves upon all of that! And you've still got a big chunk of that $45,000 left over... :thumbsup: :partyon:

I agree with what you are saying.  The Bullitt, of all these cars, makes by far the best "long-term" purchase.  It is by far the most simple to work on (something that cannot be said for either of the BMWs) and will likely hold its value well.

Vinsanity

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 12, 2007, 02:20:38 PM
I agree with what you are saying.  The Bullitt, of all these cars, makes by far the best "long-term" purchase.  It is by far the most simple to work on (something that cannot be said for either of the BMWs) and will likely hold its value well.

How well are the 2001 Bullitts holding their value?

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 12, 2007, 02:51:27 PM
How well are the 2001 Bullitts holding their value?
Very well considering they had a 5 hp increase and different shocks and struts.  Most well kept Bullitts I have seen are worth anywhere from $10,000 to almost double a 2001 GT.  It all depends on mileage and the condition of the car.  I predict these new Bullitts will keep their value even better because they a) look like the original, and b) have a substantial performance increase over the base GT.

Tave

Out of that list, I'd go for the Z4 M, followed by the Evo and STI.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Nethead

For LongDude:

Text excerpts taken from www.corral.net

"First Drive - 2008 Mustang Bullitt"

"We spent two fantastic days behind the wheel of the Bullitt on the coast of California.

On the twisties the car is an absolute blast to drive! The added torque of the new calibration helps the car launch harder out of the turns. Fire the Bullitt out of the hole from a standstill and the car squats down and plants you into the seat all the way to the 6,500 RPM redline. A chirp from the tires as you bang second gear lets you know the extra horses under the hood are doing their job.
Brake performance was excellent and we did not experience any fade as we shattered the tranquility of the California woods tearing through the back roads. The scream of tortured tires and growl from the tuned exhaust's new low backpresure mufflers terrorized the woodland creatures ensuring that we did not see any wildlife on our run.

On the streets of San Francisco the modified suspension did an excellent job of absorbing road imperfections. To be fair though, we did notice a strange vibration after particularly large bumps, which could indicate that a Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) issue needs to be addressed before final production. This kind of thing is to be expected when driving a pre-production car though.

Usually increasing performance in the turns means a sacrifice to ride quality; however, Team Mustang has managed to find just the right balance with the 2008 Bullitt. Revised brake pads improve stopping distances and provide fade resistance under hard braking. A strut tower brace with the Bullitt logo, VIN, and the car's unique Bullitt build number are printed on the center of the brace. The rear of the car was lowered slightly to provide a more aggressive stance and new struts allowed engineers to add a more aggressive dampening rate for improved cornering abilities."

"The 2008 Bullitt Mustang is about more than just appearances - it is able to back up its aggressive look with horsepower and handling improvements. Ford Racing developed a new cold-air intake specifically for the car, which drops incoming air intake temperatures from 70-degrees Fahrenheit above ambient to a mere 17-degrees above ambient. Combined with a new octane-sensing performance engine calibration, the 2008 Bullitt Mustang boasts a bump in horsepower from 300 to 315 BHP and an increase to 325 lb./ft. of torque beyond the stock Mustang GT when the car is fed premium 91 octane fuel. Redline has been increased by an additional 250 RPM to 6,500 RPM. Top speed gets a boost as well to 151 MPH from 147 MPH."

"The engineers at Team Mustang used a special re-mastered DVD copy of the 1968 classic movie to provide inspiration for the car's sound. By tuning and modifying the H-Pipe they gave the car the authentic sound that will enable you to create your own Bullitt soundtrack wherever you go. The throaty sound is definitely an improvement over the stock Mustang GT."

"The new optional HID headlights add a great touch to the car, as well as providing a dramatic improvement in nighttime lighting abilities."

"With a base MSRP of $31,075 the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt package is an incredible value. The addition of factory go-fast goodies and a warranty make the car hard to pass up, especially when considering the limited run of just 7,700 units. Collectibility, value, performance and attitude make the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt a must-have for performance enthusiasts."

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

LonghornTX

This candy apple red color sure does look good to me:

With the prices released for the 135i, the true difference in price between the purchase of that car and a GT is getting huge.  About 14k stock and 10k with the GT modified to my desires (with the great deals being offered on the mustang and an MSRP price on the 135i).  My sensible side (and recently my emotional side) are drawing me back to the GT  :rage:.

Nethead

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 16, 2007, 01:09:03 AM
This candy apple red color sure does look good to me:

With the prices released for the 135i, the true difference in price between the purchase of that car and a GT is getting huge.  About 14k stock and 10k with the GT modified to my desires (with the great deals being offered on the mustang and an MSRP price on the 135i).  My sensible side (and recently my emotional side) are drawing me back to the GT  :rage:.

LonghornTX: LongDude, go ahead and give in to the Dark Side of the Force--a Bullitt can be had in black, afer all :ohyeah:!  Become the felon in your neighborhood :mask:.  Feel the power of the Gs pushing you ever deeper into the leather seats :cry:.  Surround yourself with tire smoke :rockon:. And pray that you can make bail when the ticket says "151 MPH in a 65 MPH zone" :pullover:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Nethead on November 13, 2007, 01:44:29 PM
For LongDude:

Text excerpts taken from www.corral.net

That's like quoting a 135i test from the Roundel Magazine of the BMWCCA.

The 135i and the Mustang are totally different cars. You all know what I'd get. I say test drive them both, then decide.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

LonghornTX

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 16, 2007, 04:46:34 PM
I say test drive them both, then decide.
Unfortunately I will not have that option in this case.  Since the 135i is due in March, I would have to order it sight unseen (or driven).  I know, I could wait, but I have been waiting for SO long as it is, and my parents even mentioned they would pitch in a little bit for a graduation present if I bought one soon.  If I opted out of the waiting list I am on right now, it would likely be summer or later before I got it.  The good thing, though, is that a test drive of the E92 should serve as a decent substitute since they are so similar.