Edmunds Mustang Bullitt test.

Started by 565, November 09, 2007, 10:00:11 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=123327

What Works:
Great-looking, great-sounding and satisfyingly quick. Fantastic shifter. Comfortable ride, easygoing road manners.

What Needs Work:
Uninspired steering response, determined to understeer, needs manhandling to go truly fast, some cheap interior materials, and thirsty.

"The Bullitt uses those short gears to rip to 60 mph in just 5.2 seconds. That's a stunning 0.7-second better than the 2005 Mustang GT. And the Bullitt's 13.8 seconds to 102.1-mph quarter-mile performance is the best we've yet recorded for a production three-valve Mustang. The Bullitt's powertrain feels even more powerful than it is, and the shifter is among the very best on any car at any price.

If only the chassis had limits to match. The all-season BFG tires just don't offer the grip the car deserves; the 0.84g skid pad performance and 67.2-mph trip through the slalom are both good for a Mustang, but modest for a performance car. The ABS-controlled four-wheel disc brakes, which resist fade rather well, also feel limited by the tires, and stopping from 60 mph took a so-so 122 feet.

In the interest of highway ride and daily usability, the Bullitt is relatively softly sprung (softer than a Shelby GT) with a determined and persistent understeer and somewhat indistinct steering. Yes, that understeer can be overcome with the application of power, but that makes this a high-effort vehicle with which to attack a racetrack or, for that matter, to pursue an aggressively driven Dodge Charger.

It's better than the GT in every way ? but it's still a Mustang, with all the ability and limits that come with that. With the massive advantage of being a bargain."

I personally don't see how this is that much of a bargain if you don't buy into the whole nostalgia of the movie. Overall it's a disappointing package as it really fails to correct the major flaws with the GT.

The Bullitt's 13.8 seconds at 102.1-mph in the quarter mile is a bit disappointing considering Edmunds recently tested a automatic G35 at 13.9 @ 102.6 mph.  The Bullitt couldn't match the G35's handling or braking numbers either.

Bullitt

60 - 0 (ft): 122
Braking Rating Very Good
Slalom (mph): 67.2
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.84
Handling Rating Very Good

G35

60 - 0 (ft): 111
Braking Rating: Excellent
Slalom (mph): 69.4
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.89
Handling Rating: Excellent

In terms of substance what does the Bullitt have going for it?  A similarly priced luxury sports sedan is better at pretty much everything besides posing.

LonghornTX

The car has bad tires in a very narrow size, big deal.  Change those and the Bullitt would likely beat the G35 in every single statistic you posted (for less money).  Not only that, but the Bullitt (and the Mustang) are also not built to their full potential as far as equipment goes, probably because Ford figures most owners will change the car anyways.  The G35, on the other hand, is about as fast and developed as it is going to get.

What does the Bullitt have going for it?  For approximately ~$3300 you get a retuned suspension, more power, better brakes, a substantially different interior (trim, seats, gauges, and steering wheel) and exterior (unique wheels, paint, and grill), and a louder exhaust.  I would say that is a pretty damn good deal and an excellent starting point for what could be an even faster car and better handling car.

Most of all, the Bullitt has soul, something cars like the G35 lacks greatly in my opinion.  I have probably more experience than anyone here with the G35 and I can tell you point blank that it is boring to drive.  The Mustang (and Bullitt) are not.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

GoCougs

I think the new Mustang GT is a great car. However, there's no two ways about its DNA: it sells mostly on legacy. It's never been about big performance numbers.

The Bullitt package I don't think is worth it - but then again though I like the car, I'm not smitten with the legacy as are some.

At $25-$28k, the Mustang GT is a great car. Once you start optioning it up, or go for the Bullitt or other special editions, there are better performers for the money.

SVT666

Somehow me or Nethead is going to get blamed for starting yet another Mustang thread.

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 09, 2007, 11:48:05 PM
Somehow me or Nethead is going to get blamed for starting yet another Mustang thread.

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!

Haha I totally forgot about our single Mustang thread rule,  sorry guys, mods feel free to move this.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 09, 2007, 11:19:41 PM
At $25-$28k, the Mustang GT is a great car. Once you start optioning it up, or go for the Bullitt or other special editions, there are better performers for the money.
But those other cars ain't got no soul brotha!

r0tor

Quote from: LonghornTX on November 09, 2007, 10:28:35 PM
The car has bad tires in a very narrow size, big deal. 

BFG KDW's are not bad tires and 235 width is not "very" narrow
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JYODER240

The same pros and cons I have with the GT. Looks and sounds good, fast and comfortable. It lacks in the things like steering feel, brake feel, and overall handling. Did they give the Bullit a new gearshift? The shifter in the GT isn't very good. You can live with it but I would never call it one of the cars highpoints.

It seems like with every Mustang edition they never address any of the Mustangs shortcomings. They just give it more of what it already has enough of.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 09, 2007, 11:48:05 PM

I don't think anyone is blaming you for starting Mustang threads. You made the "General Mustang" thread or whatever it's called. Nethead thinks their need to be a thread for modified Mustangs, stock Mustangs, special edition Mustangs, drag racing Mustangs, road-racing Mustangs, convertible Mustangs, and future Mustangs. Then he proceeds to make a page long posts that never says anything new, he somehow tries to prove that the Mustang is better than any other car and everything else is an intimidation of it.

Raza

"But like Steve McQueen's original, there's every reason to believe that the new car can take it ? hard landing or soft."

Didn't McQueen's car need constant repairs?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

"the 0.84g skid pad performance and 67.2-mph trip through the slalom are both good for a Mustang, but modest for a performance car"

Ouch.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

I thought 67 mph through the slalom was pretty good. :huh:

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 08:54:21 AM
But those other cars ain't got no soul brotha!

Perhaps some, but what about the 350z?

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on November 10, 2007, 10:26:35 AM
I don't think anyone is blaming you for starting Mustang threads. You made the "General Mustang" thread or whatever it's called. Nethead thinks their need to be a thread for modified Mustangs, stock Mustangs, special edition Mustangs, drag racing Mustangs, road-racing Mustangs, convertible Mustangs, and future Mustangs. Then he proceeds to make a page long posts that never says anything new, he somehow tries to prove that the Mustang is better than any other car and everything else is an intimidation of it.
Actually there are three "official" Mustang threads.  There are "The Official Mustang Thread", the "Tuner Mustang Thread", and the "Racing Mustang Thread".  Personally I think the Tuner and Official threads could be one, but the Racing one should be on it;s own.

JYODER240

Slalom is a somewhat useless test IMO. You never encounter anything like except maybe during an autocross. The number doesn't mean much to me. I'm more concerned with the cars composure that how fast it can go through it.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 11:57:58 AM
I thought 67 mph through the slalom was pretty good. :huh:

It's better than average, but nothing special.  I think my car runs 67+ through the slalom, and it's not really a performance car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

It's better then the first gen Viper.

FordSVT

Their 0-60 mph time should be taken with a grain of salt considering flat or even sub-5 second times have been pretty common in magazine tests for a stock GT with less horsepower and a taller rear end.

One thing I do thing Ford needs to work on is steering feel, it was the one complaint I always had about my 05. It went where you pointed it and there was good on center feel, but there wasn't a whole lot of feedback and it always felt more like a force-feedback video game wheel than a "real" performance car usually does.

ArchBishop

The car has bad tires in a very narrow size, big deal.  Change those and the Bullitt would likely beat the G35 in every single statistic you posted (for less money).  Not only that, but the Bullitt (and the Mustang) are also not built to their full potential as far as equipment goes, probably because Ford figures most owners will change the car anyways.  The G35, on the other hand, is about as fast and developed as it is going to get.

What does the Bullitt have going for it?  For approximately ~$3300 you get a retuned suspension, more power, better brakes, a substantially different interior (trim, seats, gauges, and steering wheel) and exterior (unique wheels, paint, and grill), and a louder exhaust.  I would say that is a pretty damn good deal and an excellent starting point for what could be an even faster car and better handling car.

Most of all, the Bullitt has soul, something cars like the G35 lacks greatly in my opinion.  I have probably more experience than anyone here with the G35 and I can tell you point blank that it is boring to drive.  The Mustang (and Bullitt) are not.

Haha, Didn't we have a similar argument about the 350Z vs the Mustang GT. I claimed that the Z, even in base form, would be a quicker car. Next month, Car and Driver came out with an Issue, with Both the Z and and the Shebly GT. The Z was as fast, handled better, and was overall a better car. It also cost a lot less, and didn't look like shit, with a tacked on hood scoop.

I'm going to say the G35/7 Are better in all aspects.

SVT666

Some people have a real hate-on for some cars.  Wow.

Raza

Quote from: ArchBishop on November 10, 2007, 05:53:43 PM
Haha, Didn't we have a similar argument about the 350Z vs the Mustang GT. I claimed that the Z, even in base form, would be a quicker car. Next month, Car and Driver came out with an Issue, with Both the Z and and the Shebly GT. The Z was as fast, handled better, and was overall a better car. It also cost a lot less, and didn't look like shit, with a tacked on hood scoop.

I'm going to say the G35/7 Are better in all aspects.

And I'd still take a V8 Mustang over the Z every time.  Funny how that works, isn't it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11970.msg637823#msg637823 date=1194749342
And I'd still take a V8 Mustang over the Z every time.  Funny how that works, isn't it?
Hey, some people have taste. :ohyeah:

Nethead

All totally correct. Wider, stickier tires make a difference in all cars, but you have to measure carefully to see how much difference that actually is--identical tires do not make identical improvements to every car model that you can fit them on. We got no way to know how much difference 295s would make on a Bullitt, and that's just the width--compound, aspect ratio, sidewall stiffness, tire pressure, yada yada yada are other variables that can make more difference that 60 more millimeters of width, or not...Actually, a different set of test drivers might make more difference than any tire permutations & combinations we might come up with.

BTW, LongDude, where the Nethead here is, the MSRP on the window stickers of base Mustang GTs is just under $26,000 and I read that the MSRP of a Bullitt will be in the low $31,000s. Isn't that more like a $5,000 difference instead of "~$3300"? Still a bargain, and will probably bring three, four, or more times that at Barrett Jackson after you've raised Merry Hell in it for three decades of enthusiastic felony.

Like all Mustangs, it is a great starting point for a far more capable vehicle--with many different ways to go on a build-up. Why do you think 33 other tuner manufacturers besides Ford's own SVT build & sell their own tuner versions of the current Mustang?  And that doesn't count a half-dozen more who just build tuner versions of early Mustangs...One of those 33 tuner manufacturers produces tuner Mustangs in Germany, another builds tuner Mustangs in Italy, Jack Roush builds and exports a special tuner Mustang for the UK called the 420RE, and yet another tuner builds tuner Bullitt and Boss versions of the current Mustang exclusively for export to Japan--Mustangs aren't even exported to either of those four countries by Ford. Ford's definitely missing some opportunities there...

Of course, with no changes at all the new Bullitt offers great satisfaction for the buck. Drive one hard and see for yourself...

So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

I've built up Mustang GT Premiums to 30K, so 31K for the Bullitt seems a bargain.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yeah, it isn't quite fair to compare the Bullitt to a base GT seeing as how it is pretty well equipped.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11970.msg637912#msg637912 date=1194757081
I've built up Mustang GT Premiums to 30K, so 31K for the Bullitt seems a bargain.
Agreed.  The Bullitt is a bargain.

Rich

if my mini comes back in not so good a shape from the body shop... should i buy a bullitt  :rastaman: :banghead: :partyon: :wub:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 10, 2007, 11:05:18 PM
if my mini comes back in not so good a shape from the body shop... should i buy a bullitt  :rastaman: :banghead: :partyon: :wub:
Considering there is no way you will find one for MSRP, I say no.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2007, 11:46:22 PM
Considering there is no way you will find one for MSRP, I say no.

I really hate dealers. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i