It's probably just the driver, but this Ferrari 308 sounds much better :lol:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ED732L3ggWM&feature=related

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 17, 2007, 11:47:59 AM
It's probably just the driver, but this Ferrari 308 sounds much better :lol:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ED732L3ggWM&feature=related

Wow, she is really hot in that ferrari.

Eye of the Tiger

I have made the appointment to have the timing belt and transmission serviced by the closest VW/Audi specialty shop. I also believe I may be able to fix the blower motor myself by adjusting the brushes/contacts whatever they're called. I will try that tomorrow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on December 17, 2007, 03:32:58 PM
I have made the appointment to have the timing belt and transmission serviced by the closest VW/Audi specialty shop. I also believe I may be able to fix the blower motor myself by adjusting the brushes/contacts whatever they're called. I will try that tomorrow.

What's that going to run?  The T-belt job can't be cheap...:mask:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on December 17, 2007, 09:54:27 PM

What's that going to run?  The T-belt job can't be cheap...:mask:

Probably about $900... as much as I paid for the car :lol: :cry:
It's worth it, though. :praise:

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on December 17, 2007, 09:57:58 PM
Probably about $900... as much as I paid for the car :lol: :cry:
It's worth it, though. :praise:

Yeah, it's definitely worth it.  The car seems to be in good shape, and the T-belt (and water pump, if you're doing that) will help should you need to sell it, or make it worth keeping longer.

FWIW, my Honda ran a ton better after I had the T-belt changed.  Idle was smoother, and I swear it felt a little quicker and had better mid-throttle response.  I could be on crack though...

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on December 17, 2007, 10:25:57 PM

Yeah, it's definitely worth it.  The car seems to be in good shape, and the T-belt (and water pump, if you're doing that) will help should you need to sell it, or make it worth keeping longer.

FWIW, my Honda ran a ton better after I had the T-belt changed.  Idle was smoother, and I swear it felt a little quicker and had better mid-throttle response.  I could be on crack though...

Yeah, you're on crack. :ohyeah:
Or your old water pump could have been draggin you down

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on December 17, 2007, 10:27:14 PM
Yeah, you're on crack. :ohyeah:
Or your old water pump could have been draggin you down
I suppose it's possible the old belt could have stratched and retarded his timing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2007, 10:28:25 PM
I suppose it's possible the old belt could have stratched and retarded his timing.

That is probably more likely.

The Pirate

It's more likely that I was on crack and wanted to rationalize some improvement out of all the money I had just spent. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on December 17, 2007, 10:34:17 PM
It's more likely that I was on crack and wanted to rationalize some improvement out of all the money I had just spent. 

Or they secretly installed a turbonator while you had it in for service.  :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on December 17, 2007, 10:35:35 PM
Or they secretly installed a turbonator while you had it in for service.  :lol:

Awesome!  I'm going to take the Mazda to the same place then.

BimmerM3

How does one determine if a timing belt is bad... or do you just sort of guess depending on mileage.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 17, 2007, 10:50:01 PM
How does one determine if a timing belt is bad... or do you just sort of guess depending on mileage.

It's bad once the teeth break off and it no longer drives the camshafts. :lol:
I'm just doing preventative maintenance because if the belt breaks, the engine will need a complete valve job. $$$$$!

BimmerM3

Quote from: NACar on December 17, 2007, 10:52:38 PM
It's bad once the teeth break off and it no longer drives the camshafts. :lol:
I'm just doing preventative maintenance because if the belt breaks, the engine will need a complete valve job. $$$$$!

Yeah, my Accord is an interference engine as well. It's recommended to be changed at 105,000 (I'm at 96 right now), so I'll definitely get it changed then. Whether I attempt it myself or not is another issue.

I'm also up in the air about the E21. It has a mystery number of miles and I have no idea what it's maintenance history is. Maybe I'll do that over the holidays as well. I can't imagine the belt costs all that much, so if I got a couple buddies to help out it shouldn't be too bad on my own.

The Pirate

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 17, 2007, 10:50:01 PM

On a Honda, you know the belt is bad when it breaks and you need $1200 worth of work to the head and valves.

I had the t-belt replaced on my car at 112K miles (and that was the second replacement, the first was at ~60K miles).  Honda recommends 90K mile intervals IIRC, but I wanted to have the water pump done and I drove the shit out of that car.

Price was really rather reasonable, I was surprised.

CJ

We have to get the timing belt package done on the Camry.  That's $600, I believe.

BimmerM3

Quote from: The Pirate on December 17, 2007, 10:58:13 PM

On a Honda, you know the belt is bad when it breaks and you need $1200 worth of work to the head and valves.

I had the t-belt replaced on my car at 112K miles (and that was the second replacement, the first was at ~60K miles).  Honda recommends 90K mile intervals IIRC, but I wanted to have the water pump done and I drove the shit out of that car.

Price was really rather reasonable, I was surprised.

Honda recommends 105,000 for my car. I was getting ready to have it done at 90, but checked the manual.

Eye of the Tiger

I just go this e-mail from the shop:

Wow I under estimated how difficult this job was going to be!! We just
spent the entire day removing bolts! every bolt was rusted/ frozen in!
Seriously! Water pump will be there in the morning then Ill start
installing.. We only have one bolt that got ruined.. Not sure what route
im going to take to fix it. but Im sure Ill come up with something..
Only doing the timing belt, oil change and checking out the fan for
now..Ill keep you in touch

Apparently, they're having some trouble.  :frown:
I'm glad I didn't attempt it :lol:
I do say, if the bolts were all rusted in, then it was most definately a good thing that it's getting replaced.

Eye of the Tiger

So, today I got another e-mail from the shop. They say it's the hardest timing belt job they've ever done, and they just got the belt on after working all day today - that's two full days. They are going to finish it on Monday - maybe.
They quoted me for a few hours, so I hope they don't think they can charge me for a full 16 hours of labor. I can't afford that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2007, 08:20:11 PM
So, today I got another e-mail from the shop. They say it's the hardest timing belt job they've ever done, and they just got the belt on after working all day today - that's two full days. They are going to finish it on Monday - maybe.
They quoted me for a few hours, so I hope they don't think they can charge me for a full 16 hours of labor. I can't afford that.

Have they been asking you to approve the hours? Did you get a written estimate?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2007, 08:21:41 PM
Have they been asking you to approve the hours? Did you get a written estimate?

Just via e-mail, they quoted me this:

>     > > > > Timing belt kit $254 list $327
>     > > > > Waterpump $150
>     > > > > 5 hours labor

I haven't signed an actual work order, and I haven't even seen these guys in person yet because the had closed their shop and left at the time I said I was dropping the car off (5:00pm, not unreasonable). I just left the car in front of their shop with the keys hidden, and called them in the morning.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2007, 08:25:52 PM
Just via e-mail, they quoted me this:

>     > > > > Timing belt kit $254 list $327
>     > > > > Waterpump $150
>     > > > > 5 hours labor

I haven't signed an actual work order, and I haven't even seen these guys in person yet because the had closed their shop and left at the time I said I was dropping the car off (5:00pm, not unreasonable). I just left the car in front of their shop with the keys hidden, and called them in the morning.

Well, I don't know if they can try to charge you more or not then. I've never done it that way.

I'd think though that unless they needed to buy more parts or something that they'd honor the original quote.

the Teuton

Usually anymore, the shops have estimate books or something like that that they use to determine how much they're going to charge you.  If they say it's a 10-hour job, then they damn-well shouldn't go much, if any, beyond that for the price. 

I got a water pump and timing belt change both for $400, including labor.  I know my car is a little simpler than yours, but I think they had to take half the car apart to do it.  Assuming they charge $70/hr. for labor, that would be $487 plus $350 plus 6% tax = $887.22.  That's ridiculous, even for the estimate.  Sixteen hours would just be insane!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2007, 08:29:22 PM
Well, I don't know if they can try to charge you more or not then. I've never done it that way.

I'd think though that unless they needed to buy more parts or something that they'd honor the original quote.

I think they will. They sound like a couple of nice guys, and the family-run shops like that are usually pretty good about stuff like that.

They only charge $65/hr for labor  - that makes $325. So and a total of $729.

Truth is, I wouldn't mind paying them a bit more since they had some a hard time with the rusted bolts. $325 + whatever markup for parts isn't really much to show for two-full days of work split between two people.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2007, 08:36:15 PM
I think they will. They sound like a couple of nice guys, and the family-run shops like that are usually pretty good about stuff like that.

They only charge $65/hr for labor  - that makes $325. So and a total of $729.

Truth is, I wouldn't mind paying them a bit more since they had some a hard time with the rusted bolts. $325 + whatever markup for parts isn't really much to show for two-full days of work split between two people.

I bought my new engine and got it swapped in for less than what you're paying for a new timing belt.  Damn.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 21, 2007, 08:37:40 PM
I bought my new engine and got it swapped in for less than what you're paying for a new timing belt.  Damn.

It's a DOHC V8 with very little clearance between the front of the engine and the radiator support. Plus it had rusty bolts. It's worth it even if the car only lasts me for a year.

To replace the blower motor is a 5-hour job, too. They're going to test everything else of course, so I hope it's just the resistor or a relay.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2007, 08:41:08 PM
It's a DOHC V8 with very little clearance between the front of the engine and the radiator support. Plus it had rusty bolts. It's worth it even if the car only lasts me for a year.

To replace the blower motor is a 5-hour job, too. They're going to test everything else of course, so I hope it's just the resistor or a relay.

Are all German luxury cars so expensive to maintain?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 21, 2007, 08:43:18 PM
Are all German luxury cars so expensive to maintain?

I don't know. I've never had one before! :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2007, 08:45:03 PM
I don't know. I've never had one before! :lol:

You're making me get the impression that I'm going to be driving Japanese cars and vehicles with boxer engines for the rest of my life.  Oh yeah, and small block Chevies.  They just seem a little less complex and a lot cheaper to maintain.