BMW announces US 1-Series pricing

Started by ifcar, November 15, 2007, 04:32:26 AM

Raza

You do know that Oldsmobile sells 0 cars, right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on November 24, 2007, 07:41:55 PM
You do know that Oldsmobile sells 0 cars, right?

Well, if Audi sold the A3 with a diesel engine, they'd sell at least 1.  Take that Oldsmobile!

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on November 21, 2007, 04:13:31 PM
It's a high priced premium brand small car, and you want them to put a diesel in it and sell it in the US?  They'd sell fewer cars than Oldsmobile.

i saw a 1er coupe diesel was tested in europe... 7.0 sec 0-60 time, same torque as the 135i, lighter then the 135i, twin turbo so great throttle response, and got the equivalent of 45mpg highway...

i think there would be a market for it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on November 25, 2007, 12:11:57 PM
i saw a 1er coupe diesel was tested in europe... 7.0 sec 0-60 time, same torque as the 135i, lighter then the 135i, twin turbo so great throttle response, and got the equivalent of 45mpg highway...

i think there would be a market for it

I doubt it.  People here don't like diesels in cars.  Being quick and efficient is nothing new for diesels.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FordSVT

Most of N.A.'s recent experience with diesels is through VW. If everyone had time behind the wheel of a 1.8-2.0L TD Jetta or Passat they might be converted. However, a certain type of person likes VWs, everyone else keeps their distance. When Honda and other manufacturers start making good diesels for their cars people might try them.

There is the matter of diesel availability, many stations don't carry it and I think the perception is exaggerated even more amongst people who've never considered a diesel.

And then there's the smell. Never underestimate the smell.

Raza

Quote from: FordSVT on November 30, 2007, 08:33:41 AM
Most of N.A.'s recent experience with diesels is through VW. If everyone had time behind the wheel of a 1.8-2.0L TD Jetta or Passat they might be converted. However, a certain type of person likes VWs, everyone else keeps their distance. When Honda and other manufacturers start making good diesels for their cars people might try them.

There is the matter of diesel availability, many stations don't carry it and I think the perception is exaggerated even more amongst people who've never considered a diesel.

And then there's the smell. Never underestimate the smell.

From what I'm told, newer diesels don't really smell, and are quite quiet. 

Back in 1999, my brother almost got an E300 diesel, but surprisingly it was my dad who convinced him to get the petrol E320. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FordSVT

I was talking more about the actual fuel. When you pump diesel you can smell it on you an hour later.

Raza

Quote from: FordSVT on November 30, 2007, 01:38:28 PM
I was talking more about the actual fuel. When you pump diesel you can smell it on you an hour later.

Oh.  I can't say I've ever pumped diesel.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 30, 2007, 02:02:28 PM
Oh.  I can't say I've ever pumped diesel.

As someone who worked around the stuff and ended up spilling it on himself on a semi-frequent basis, let me tell you that it's a smell that doesn't wash off easily.  Even after scrubbing up with industrial strength hand cleaners like LAVA soap, you can still smell a hint of it on you.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on November 30, 2007, 03:00:37 PM
As someone who worked around the stuff and ended up spilling it on himself on a semi-frequent basis, let me tell you that it's a smell that doesn't wash off easily.  Even after scrubbing up with industrial strength hand cleaners like LAVA soap, you can still smell a hint of it on you.

I'm trying to remember if I ever have.  We got rid of our 300SD before I got my permit, and although I drove it on a few occasions, but I can't remember pumping diesel into it as a kid.  I do remember putting petrol into our S320 though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 30, 2007, 03:00:37 PM

Gasoline doesn't exactly wash right off, either.
Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to make diesel smell better. The oil companies can just buy out AXE Body Spray and put the stuff directly  into the fuels. There really is no good excuse for all mainstream cars and trucks not switching to diesel, except for pure ignorance.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: NACar on December 03, 2007, 01:00:28 PM
Gasoline doesn't exactly wash right off, either.
Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to make diesel smell better. The oil companies can just buy out AXE Body Spray and put the stuff directly  into the fuels. There really is no good excuse for all mainstream cars and trucks not switching to diesel, except for pure ignorance.

Gasoline comes off a hell of a lot easier than diesel.  I ended up dribbling a little gas on my hands pretty frequently when I used to ride dirtbikes as a kid.  Without even washing my hands, the smell would be mostly gone after a couple of hours.  Meanwhile, when I was turning wrenches for a trucking company, I'd change a fuel filter and even after several hours and washing my hands multiple times after that, I could still smell diesel on me.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Gasoline evaporates faster, does it not?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.