LEOs: How did you get into law enforcement?

Started by S204STi, November 15, 2007, 09:00:04 PM

bing_oh

Quote from: hounddog on November 18, 2007, 11:51:07 PM
OHHHHHHHHH

And the croud goes wild as the champion levels his oppenent with a right cross, knocking him to the ground!

THIS...ONE...IS...OVER!

Thanks, Tony. I actually chuckled at that. :lol:

Rupert

Yeah, no. There are probably plenty of beer pong super super seniors, but there are a lot of people who just don't know what they want to do, and pretty much no amount of thinking about it is going to help. However, that does not mean that they can't and don't think about the future.

Becoming an adult, hey? Becoming an adult means an increase in responsibility, an increase in maturity (in the way a person deals with that responsibility), and an increase in hangover intensity. Trust me, I know all about those things. There are plenty of old people with careers and all that who live for the next beer and the next meaningless fuck, and there are plenty of immature young-uns who don't. Adultism is about responsibility and maturity, not about a career and, what? kids?

Keep in mind that I've already said a few times that I think it's a good idea to think about the future and plan for it. Invest a bunch of money in an IRA, mutual funds, a house, what-have-you. Figure out what you might want to do for a career someday. Don't limit your options, and save some money. After all, you can have a job that pays well without having a career.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

Quote from: Psilos on November 19, 2007, 12:17:29 AM
One should at least experience some kind of fulfillment in one's career, even if it's not fun per se.
Well, you have much to learn, I think.

But, there is nothing at all wrong with being idealistic. 

And this was NOT meant as an insult.  I remember those kinds of feelings, they just do not hang around long after you graduate. 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

I know plenty of old people (over 45 :lol: ) who have led fulfilling careers.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 19, 2007, 01:15:44 AM
I know plenty of old people (over 45 :lol: ) who have led fulfilling careers.

Notice your use of a form of the past tense.

By that age, most people are sick of working.  That's why planning for retirement is important.  What's fulfilling at 25 or 30 may not be at 55 or 60.  I think the mistake many younger people make is to not recognize that the way they'll want to spend their time will change as they get older, and they fail to take the steps that will allow them to accomodate their preferences as they age.  Most people can't keep up the same pace at 60 that they did at 25, and few would want to in any case.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the nameless one

Quote from: dazzleman on November 21, 2007, 06:17:08 AM
Notice your use of a form of the past tense.

By that age, most people are sick of working. 
At 45, you are at least 20 years away from the end of your working career. I don't understand people who think they can retire at 45 or 50 and just lounge around for the last half of their lives doing nothing.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

dazzleman

Quote from: the nameless one on November 21, 2007, 07:15:36 AM
At 45, you are at least 20 years away from the end of your working career. I don't understand people who think they can retire at 45 or 50 and just lounge around for the last half of their lives doing nothing.

I don't think that's really what most people want to do.

I think most people don't want to have to work as hard in the latter part of their career.  Many people have to really put in a huge amount of work to get themselves established and make good money when they're younger, and as they get older, they can't keep up that pace.  Having a good retirement plan doesn't mean you stop working completely; it more means you don't have to go balls to the wall until you're 70.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Quote from: the nameless one on November 21, 2007, 07:15:36 AM

Hey, the minimum retirement age of 48 for LE in Ohio is one of the few benefits we have left. Most LE end up working a few years beyond the minimum, putting their time in DROP and essentially double-dipping for an extra wad of cash to play with after retirement, and then take a much slower-paced (and less stressful) post-retirement job. I have no intention of "just lounging around for the last half of my life doing nothing," considering that kind of attitude probably contributes heavily to the statistic that many LEO's die within 5 years of retirement.

the nameless one

Yeah, you can retire from that job at 20 or whatever...but as I said, I don't understand people who expect that they'll just sit around. I have no expectation of EVER totally retiring. I may be required to retire from THIS job at a certain age, but I'll always be working in some way, making money to keep my head above water. The concept of being retired at 65 was a 20th century concept created in an era of unprecedented national propsperity that has now disappeared.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

dazzleman

Quote from: the nameless one on November 21, 2007, 08:01:38 AM
Yeah, you can retire from that job at 20 or whatever...but as I said, I don't understand people who expect that they'll just sit around. I have no expectation of EVER totally retiring. I may be required to retire from THIS job at a certain age, but I'll always be working in some way, making money to keep my head above water. The concept of being retired at 65 was a 20th century concept created in an era of unprecedented national propsperity that has now disappeared.

I think that how a person handles retirement has a lot to do with personality.  Some people couldn't stand being fully retired, while others revel in it.  I think most people need something to keep them busy to some degree, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a job.  I agree that doing absolutely nothing is not healthy at all.

But as far as the financial aspects of retirement are concerned, people are pretty much responsible for that on their own.  Social security is not enough to live on, unless you plan to eat pet food, and defined benefit pensions are being replaced with defined contribution savings plan.  So in their older years, people will either reap the benefit or the whirlwind from the amounts they saved (or failed to save) when they were younger.

I think many people that plan to retire relatively young but aren't saving and are maintaining large amounts of debt are going to be in for a rude awakening, and will have to work longer than they like.  The latest thing is that people think their houses are going to fund their retirement; that was never a very good or realistic concept.  And the older ideas about retiring debt before hitting certain ages seem to be falling by the wayside, as people borrow as if there were no tomorrow.  How some of these people ever expect to retire, with no savings and home equity loans out the wazoo, is beyond me.  Many people are just financially unsophistocated and give it no thought.

It's true that traditionally, people worked until very late in life, and usually retired on average only a few years before they passed away.  The concept of a long retirement period is a new one.  If people save and accumulate enough money to live well in their final years without working, I have no problem with it.

You also have to consider health.  Good health in later years (or really any time in life) can't be taken for granted.  Not everbody is able to work right to the end.

J86

Apologies for the mild hijack, but it seems appropriate here: if you old(er!) guys were 20 and had 2 grand to play with, what would you do with it besides have it in a CD?  I don't exactly have my parents to fall back on for what I call innovative and impressive financial advice...

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on November 21, 2007, 09:14:21 AM
Apologies for the mild hijack, but it seems appropriate here: if you old(er!) guys were 20 and had 2 grand to play with, what would you do with it besides have it in a CD?  I don't exactly have my parents to fall back on for what I call innovative and impressive financial advice...

Josh, others may disagree, but I suggest you keep it in a CD.  It's not enough money to meaningfully create a balanced portfolio, and I don't think you have enough to risk the principal.  You always have to have a certain percentage and/or amount of money in cash, so I don't think you have enough to start investing.

the nameless one

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on November 17, 2007, 04:31:07 PM
So you're 23? 24? And you're looking for a lifetime career? I assume you've considered that you're still young and don't need to plan your life until you retire just yet...

At any rate, I certainly don't want a career until I'm 30 or older.

I want to retire around then.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on November 21, 2007, 01:57:39 PM
Josh, others may disagree, but I suggest you keep it in a CD.  It's not enough money to meaningfully create a balanced portfolio, and I don't think you have enough to risk the principal.  You always have to have a certain percentage and/or amount of money in cash, so I don't think you have enough to start investing.

I was actually talking to some people today, and I think I'm gonna keep it there and potentially use it for LSAT tutor...we'll see.

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on November 21, 2007, 01:57:39 PM
But it would do alot better in a Roth IRA account.  It could be worth as much as $450,000 in 50 years.  Aweful hard to beat those kinds of gains.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 06:58:33 PM
But it would do alot better in a Roth IRA account.  It could be worth as much as $450,000 in 50 years.  Aweful hard to beat those kinds of gains.

Maybe, but Josh is 20.  This is a tiny amount of money, and he has a lot of needs more immediate than retirement.  If he takes the money out of an IRA, he will likely face penalties.  I wouldn't recommend that a 20-year-old put the only money he has into a retirement account.  I think that's insane.

TBR

You'd probably be better off putting it in a money market (a CD with a decent rate will have a min much higher than $2 grand). Most likely you would get similar results from a money market without being locked in.

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on November 21, 2007, 07:00:06 PM
Maybe, but Josh is 20.  This is a tiny amount of money, and he has a lot of needs more immediate than retirement.  If he takes the money out of an IRA, he will likely face penalties.  I wouldn't recommend that a 20-year-old put the only money he has into a retirement account.  I think that's insane.
Thats pretty short sighted, but thats just my opinion. 
First off, its ONLY a couple grand.  While I realize that may be his only cushion right now, IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY TO PLAN FOR RETIREMENT.

Why is it so hard for you guys to understand that?  If I took that approach, I would be on medical disability drawing only pennies on the dollar.  ($758/mo. to be exact)

Money Market?  Seriously?  MMA's are about 4-4.75% average right now.  Savings are about the same.  He might just as well leave it in savings.

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 09:39:20 PM
Thats pretty short sighted. 
First off, its ONLY a couple grand.  While I realize that may be his only cushion right now, IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY TO PLAN FOR RETIREMENT.

Why is it so hard for you guys to understand that?  If I took that approach, I would be on medical disability drawing only pennies on the dollar.  ($758/mo. to be exact)

Money Market?  Seriously?  MMA's are about 4-4.75% average right now.  Savings are about the same.  He might just as well leave it in savings.

What's the point of saving for later if you can't live now? :rolleyes:

hounddog

Quote from: bing_oh on November 21, 2007, 07:39:59 AM
Hey, the minimum retirement age of 48 for LE in Ohio is one of the few benefits we have left. Most LE end up working a few years beyond the minimum, putting their time in DROP and essentially double-dipping for an extra wad of cash to play with after retirement, and then take a much slower-paced (and less stressful) post-retirement job. I have no intention of "just lounging around for the last half of my life doing nothing," considering that kind of attitude probably contributes heavily to the statistic that many LEO's die within 5 years of retirement.
Agreed.  I had planned on working with my wife in our own consulting/engineering firm, until I got sick.   When I get stronger that may still be an option.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 09:45:28 PM
What's the point of saving for later if you can't live now? :rolleyes:
He has a job, does he not? 
Its no wonder so many in this country will live in poverty after the age of about 65.   :rolleyes:

Living today should not mean spending every penny you have for fun.  Its called "Responsible spending behavior, " and it is taught in basic economics.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 09:50:10 PM
He has a job, does he not? 
Its no wonder so many in this country will live in poverty after the age of about 65.   :rolleyes:
He's in college and has more important expenses than saving for retirement. :rolleyes:

hounddog

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 09:51:57 PM
He's in college and has more important expenses than saving for retirement. :rolleyes:

Well, since HE is the one asking about what to do with money, and saying he IS concerned with retirement I guess that makes your arguement null and void.  :rolleyes:

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: J86 on November 21, 2007, 09:14:21 AM
:rolleyes:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 09:53:37 PM
Well, since HE is the one asking about what to do with money, and saying he IS concerned with retirement I guess that makes your arguement null and void.  :rolleyes:

When did he say that?

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 09:56:40 PM
Right above this original post I quoted it.
Where?
he didn't mention anything about retirement.

hounddog

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 09:59:50 PM
Where?
he didn't mention anything about retirement.
Fine, I thought the poster was R, no the boat boy.  Either way, the advice I gave is sound.

Oh, and since I am in a grouchy mood anyway~
Go fuck yourself Raghaven. 

Notice the lack of smily faces.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 10:02:21 PM
Fine, I thought the poster was R, no the boat boy.  Either way, the advice I gave is sound.

Oh, and since I am in a grouchy mood anyway~
Go fuck yourself Raghaven. 

Notice the lack of smily faces.
You're just mad that I just owned you, old man. :rolleyes:

And I like how you can't spell my name right even though it's plainly written out 4 times in this page alone (not including this post).
:rolleyes: