LEOs: How did you get into law enforcement?

Started by S204STi, November 15, 2007, 09:00:04 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 10:06:08 PM
You're just mad that I just owned you, old man. :rolleyes:

And I like how you can't spell my name right even though it's plainly written out 4 times in this page alone (not including this post).
:rolleyes:

Nicely done :ohyeah:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

hounddog

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 10:06:08 PM
You're just mad that I just owned you, old man. :rolleyes:

And I like how you can't spell my name right even though it's plainly written out 4 times in this page alone (not including this post).
:rolleyes:
I spelled it that way on purpose, ding dong.

I was just joking around, but if you keep rolling your eyes at me, you may not want to meet me in person.  Boy.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 10:19:27 PM
I spelled it that way on purpose, ding dong.

I was just joking around, but if you keep rolling your eyes at me, you may not want to meet me in person.  Boy.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:devil: :lol:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 10:19:27 PM

Dad?

(My father gets REALLY pissy whenever anyone rolls their eyes. It's his biggest pet peeve)

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 21, 2007, 10:21:31 PM
Dad?

(My father gets REALLY pissy whenever anyone rolls their eyes. It's his biggest pet peeve)
For the record;
We are partying here tonight, I was on and walked away a few minutes.  Dickhead Rohan Randy has been messing around.  Please ignore him, for he is too drunk to know what he does.  Sorry, all.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Looks like he started in about the time Rag pointed out that I was wrong who posted the comments about the extra couple grand.  Again, sorry.  Scratch that, he will be sorry.  :nono:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CALL_911

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 10:30:05 PM
Looks like he started in about the time Rag pointed out that I was wrong who posted the comments about the extra couple grand.  Again, sorry.  Scratch that, he will be sorry.  :nono:

There's gonna be some pwnage in that house tonight...

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 21, 2007, 10:32:14 PM
There's gonna be some pwnage in that house tonight...

It's like they're 10 year olds. :huh:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 10:30:05 PM
Maybe he's just paying you back for that prank you pulled on him as payback for the prank he pulled on you... :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on November 21, 2007, 06:17:08 AM
Notice your use of a form of the past tense.

By that age, most people are sick of working.  That's why planning for retirement is important.  What's fulfilling at 25 or 30 may not be at 55 or 60.  I think the mistake many younger people make is to not recognize that the way they'll want to spend their time will change as they get older, and they fail to take the steps that will allow them to accomodate their preferences as they age.  Most people can't keep up the same pace at 60 that they did at 25, and few would want to in any case.

I know plenty of old people (over 45 :lol: ) who still lead fulfilling careers.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

J86

the retirement advice is useful too, I was wondering if someone was gonna suggest that...

'boat boy', ha!

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 22, 2007, 12:20:30 AM
I know plenty of old people (over 45 :lol: ) who still lead fulfilling careers.

Well, that's great for them.  Mine is still somewhat fulfilling, but the issue is not so much fulfillment but the level of demands it makes on me.

With all the communications devices available now, most people have seen significant intrusion of work into their personal time, and as people get older, it becomes more difficult for most to keep up with the demands.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 09:39:20 PM
Thats pretty short sighted, but thats just my opinion. 
First off, its ONLY a couple grand.  While I realize that may be his only cushion right now, IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY TO PLAN FOR RETIREMENT.

Why is it so hard for you guys to understand that?  If I took that approach, I would be on medical disability drawing only pennies on the dollar.  ($758/mo. to be exact)

Money Market?  Seriously?  MMA's are about 4-4.75% average right now.  Savings are about the same.  He might just as well leave it in savings.

Tony, I agree with you in principle about the need for early savings, but I think you're taking it to too much of an extreme.

First off, it may be ONLY a couple of thousand to you and me, but if that's your only money, then it's a lot of money to you.

As far as saving for retirement goes, I think people should start saving for retirement as soon as they start working full time.  I did.  [Though in reality, the money I saved during those early years was a pittance compared to what I'm saving now because my income then was so low compared to what it is now.]  But Josh isn't even done with school yet.

Also, no way should any person's entire investment portfolio be in a retirement account.  There has to be some in regular accounts to meet current needs.

Eventually buying a home is an important part of retirement planning also, IMO, and that's a more immediate goal than retirement accounts at this point.

It's really all about balance.  It's important to save for tomorrow, but you have to live for today too, because you can't be sure tomorrow will come (I know you know that).  Most people today go too far in the direction of living "in the moment" without thought of the future, but it's not good to go too far in the other direction either.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TheIntrepid

the nameless one

Quote from: Raghavan on November 21, 2007, 09:51:57 PM
He's in college and has more important expenses than saving for retirement. :rolleyes:

Unless he was planning on putting that money towards tuition, an expendiature that result in a gain in earning power down the road, I would say the $$ should stay where its at. If his "more important  expenses" consisted of beer and pizza spending money, he doesn't really "need" that stuff.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

TBR

Quote from: hounddog on November 21, 2007, 09:39:20 PM
Money Market?  Seriously?  MMA's are about 4-4.75% average right now.  Savings are about the same.  He might just as well leave it in savings.

Which is within .5% of a $10,000 min CD (asked my advisor about it last month) and far more than a traditional savings account.

It would be plain retarded for a 20 year old college student to lock up his money, unless he is just rolling in it (which I am guessing he isn't it). It is too early to start saving for your retirement when you're not earning a consistent pay check and have considerable expenses directly ahead of you.

rohan

Quote from: J86 on November 22, 2007, 01:07:30 AM

'boat boy', ha!

HA!  We'ld been at it quite a whiole when I was here-  :partyon:  Tony was pretty pissed at me.  :tounge:  Threatened to cut me off  :rockon:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Great, I'm glad this turned into four pages of our pubescent members displaying their stupidity, yet again... :rage:

GoCougs

Quote from: J86 on November 21, 2007, 09:14:21 AM
Apologies for the mild hijack, but it seems appropriate here: if you old(er!) guys were 20 and had 2 grand to play with, what would you do with it besides have it in a CD?  I don't exactly have my parents to fall back on for what I call innovative and impressive financial advice...

I'd just keep it in savings and spend only what you have to.

College is too rife with unexpected expenses to sock it away permamently.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 23, 2007, 09:28:46 AM
I'd just keep it in savings and spend only what you have to.

College is too rife with unexpected expenses to sock it away permamently.

That was my point.  People shouldn't tie money up until they have a steady income, and a base of cash to cover unexpected contingencies.

Raghavan

Quote from: the nameless one on November 22, 2007, 10:11:22 AM
Unless he was planning on putting that money towards tuition, an expendiature that result in a gain in earning power down the road, I would say the $$ should stay where its at. If his "more important  expenses" consisted of beer and pizza spending money, he doesn't really "need" that stuff.
He wants to spend it on a tutor, so yes, he'd gain money down the road.
I was arguing that putting that money into retirement instead of spending it for a tutor is really really dumb.

Raghavan

Quote from: R-inge on November 23, 2007, 08:11:03 AM
Great, I'm glad this turned into four pages of our pubescent members displaying their stupidity, yet again... :rage:

Actually, Roy, it was Hounddog who started the "save for retirement" thing, and the Psilos was arguing with him. Then I was arguing with Hounddog.
So no, it wasn't the usualy me, Ro and Trep thing this time. You can't blame us. :praise:

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on November 23, 2007, 10:38:53 AM
Actually, Roy, it was Hounddog who started the "save for retirement" thing, and the Psilos was arguing with him. Then I was arguing with Hounddog.
So no, it wasn't the usualy me, Ro and Trep thing this time. You can't blame us. :praise:

2 things I've noticed about those arguments:

1. They never happened, or involved me when I "wasn't" 15.
2. They're always one of us against Trep.  :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the nameless one

Quote from: Raghavan on November 23, 2007, 10:37:10 AM
He wants to spend it on a tutor, so yes, he'd gain money down the road.
I was arguing that putting that money into retirement instead of spending it for a tutor is really really dumb.
It is never too soon to start good saving habits.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

J86

maybe it wasnt such a mild hijack! :lol:

Sorry, Roy!

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on November 24, 2007, 07:51:00 AM
maybe it wasnt such a mild hijack! :lol:

Sorry, Roy!

I hope you're happy that you ruined the thread, Josh..... :lol:

Actually, I think the original question in the thread was answered by the LEOs, so it have probably run its course anyway.  But don't let that alleviate your guilt, man... :evildude:

TurboDan

Quote from: hounddog on November 18, 2007, 10:06:29 PM
You know, I just realized something.  In Michigan, where I live, my driver license is under medical revocation until review.  BUT, I can legally drive my boat on the open water. 

AND DRINK A BEER WHILE I DRIVE IT. 

WTF?

Haha, weird, isn't it?  I was driving a boat years before I was old enough to drive a car.  An officer from the NJ State Police Marine Division came into my elementary school (7th grade, I think), gave a boating course over a few weeks and we all got our boat operator certificates (assuming we passed the test).  Now everyone needs the certificate, but until a couple years ago, you only needed certification to drive in closed, lake waters.  Not open bays or the ocean.  :huh:

And, not only can you drink and drive at the same time, you can drink and drive WHILE GOING AS FAST AS YOU WANT!  Hehe, I love boating!

(Yes, .08 still applies.)