Another dilemma...

Started by Raza , November 21, 2007, 04:35:40 PM

Raza

Quote from: MrH on November 28, 2007, 05:17:07 PM
...why? :confused:

I don't need one.  I don't want one.  Why pay for something I don't need?  I can deal with maps and MapQuest and the like. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

afty

I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if this isn't relevant, but typically when dealers offer these kinds of trade-in deals, they make up the profit on the price of the new car.  You're either going to get a good price on the new car or a good price on the trade-in, but not both.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: J86 on November 28, 2007, 05:20:40 PM
I don't think I'd get one in a new car if it meant fucking up the radio controls, but so long as it is an essentially stand alone unit, why not?

I've never seen an integrated nav system that fucked up the radio controls. In my GTI, it gives me a lot of control options readily available that are not on the regular radio, and when I am not using the nav system I have a much better radio display, which is especially handy when navigating satellite radio stations.

My mom has a TSX with nav, and in her car the integration is frankly better then my GTI. Touch screen, voice activation, etc...

Could you give an example of a car where the nav system messed up the radio controls?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2007, 09:29:31 PM
Could you give an example of a car where the nav system messed up the radio controls?

iDrive.

:lol:

By the way I agree with you Tony in that the Acura navs are VERY nice.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 28, 2007, 09:30:10 PM
iDrive.

In the E60, iDrive is there with or without Nav. But the voice commands are very good. My dad just uses voice commands for the radio. Works well for him.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 28, 2007, 09:30:10 PM
iDrive.

Idrive doesn't change the radio controls. With iDrive you can control the radio directly or via iDrive. What iDrive gives you is more options that are not available without iDrive.

How giving more options fucks thing up I don't understand. But then I don't tend to not want things "just because."

CALL_911

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2007, 09:33:09 PM
Idrive doesn't change the radio controls. With iDrive you can control the radio directly or via iDrive. What iDrive gives you is more options that are not available without iDrive.

In dad's car, you have to control the radio through iDrive, except for volume, and tuning (I think?). That is, unless you use voice commands.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12132.msg658941#msg658941 date=1196295685
I don't need one.  I don't want one.  Why pay for something I don't need?  I can deal with maps and MapQuest and the like. 

I use a portable nav. It's nice to have when I'm on unfamilar backroads that don't show up on maps.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on November 28, 2007, 10:08:34 PM
I use a portable nav. It's nice to have when I'm on unfamilar backroads that don't show up on maps.

I could see how they're useful.  But the average factory nav runs for about two grand.  That's about ten times what a decent clip on nav system costs in the secondary market.  Hell, Best Buy was selling TomTom Ones for around a hundred bucks on Black Friday.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

My stepdad and brother have aftermarket navs. They are functional, but not as nice as my integrated system.

With mine, not only do I get a bigger, clearer screen...the nav system is also built into my gauge cluster. All directions are right there between my speedo and tach. And frankly, when I use my nav system I end up relying far more on the instructions in my gauge cluster.

It was expensive, but such is the price of getting what I wanted.  :lol: My thinking was that since I was saving so much by getting a VW instead of an Audi/BMW/Lexus I may as well splurge on all the options (not to mention the aftermarket extras). So far I haven't regretted it in the least.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 30, 2007, 08:57:38 AM
My stepdad and brother have aftermarket navs. They are functional, but not as nice as my integrated system.

With mine, not only do I get a bigger, clearer screen...the nav system is also built into my gauge cluster. All directions are right there between my speedo and tach. And frankly, when I use my nav system I end up relying far more on the instructions in my gauge cluster.

It was expensive, but such is the price of getting what I wanted.  :lol: My thinking was that since I was saving so much by getting a VW instead of an Audi/BMW/Lexus I may as well splurge on all the options (not to mention the aftermarket extras). So far I haven't regretted it in the least.

With that mindset, I see no problem with your decision.  It's just not the decision that I would have made.  There are advantages of factory systems, definitely, but for me, I see it as something I don't particularly want anyway, so there's no reason to pay such a high amount for one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2007, 09:29:31 PM

No, I couldn't :lol:

Actually, I thought that was one of the issues with iDrive and the like, but seeing as I don't drive a BMW with iDrive I don't really know for sure...

Hey, if they're all stand alone units, great!  Technology marches forward...

I will say though, I don't much like the looks of the screen in the dash (a la Mom's Prius), I love the ones that hide away; I remember a friend had an Infiniti a few years back where it motored away, that was slick.  Don't MB ones do that too?

Personally, I'd just do what we've done already (for the cars w/o GPS); just use the marine handheld from the boat, bolt a mounting bracket to the dash, upload road maps, and proceed to never use the thing anyways :lol: