Interior lights

Started by TheIntrepid, November 23, 2007, 04:22:40 PM

TheIntrepid

So a few weeks ago I ended up burning out my two rear reading lights, so being the ric3or I am, I decided to replace them all with LEDs.

In the picture they appear blue but they are in fact BRIGHT white. There's not even a tinge of blue in it.

And also today, I got snow tires (Michelin X-Ice 16") for the Camry Hybrid. Steelies too.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

Not to be a racist mo-fo, but why is it that well-off Asians buy snow tires, religiously?

They buy 'em out here all the time, and we get a relatively small amount of snow every year.

The Pirate

Quote from: 93JC on November 23, 2007, 04:45:07 PM
Not to be a racist mo-fo, but why is it that well-off Asians buy snow tires, religiously?

They buy 'em out here all the time, and we get a relatively small amount of snow every year.

Have you ever driven a car with decent quality snow tires?  I love 'em and buy them when I can afford to.  Alas, this looks to be an all-season year.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

i already had 4" of snow last weekend -ugh-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

I just stick with all season tires.  I haven't used snow tires in over 20 years.

Adam, I can understand why you like snow tires, living up in the north country as you do.  If I lived there, I'd get snow tires also.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

850CSi

Never had a problem with All-Season tires... We get a fair amount of snow here and my car's RWD. :huh:

AKL

We just got our first relatively big snowfall.
I actually never used snow tires until my Accord. But after I got them, I'm going to keep buying snow tires. They're incredibly helpful from my experience. Especially the morning commute on Thursday. The roads were icy and people were slipping everywhere.

Some people couldn't even get up a hill on this road I drove on Thursday (caused traffic chaos)  :rolleyes:
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

deesea

wait wait....you people change snow tires every year? :confused:

We've had one set of snow tires (per car of course) for the last 6 years (except the rav4).

I'm not too well versed on car tires.
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

CALL_911

We've been fine on all-seasons. It doesn't snow nearly enough here to justify a second set of tires. Oddly enough, we can't justify RWD either, apparently. :rolleyes: :banghead:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

I don't think we've ever had winter/snow tires. My dad's very careful when it comes to cars and he never saw the need for any so we've never had any
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Pancor

Jeez, I wouldn't think of driving in winter without the proper tires.  All-season tires are are waaay too much of a compromise when you consider that the only thing between your car and the road is your rubber.  You think a tire that is designed to work well on a 30? August day works well on a -20? February day? 

AKL

Quote from: deesea on November 23, 2007, 09:27:07 PM

We've had one set of snow tires (per car of course) for the last 6 years (except the rav4).

I don't. I've kept the Nokians on my Accord for almost 2-3 years? They still have life left.

I'm still looking for some tires for the Santa Fe. I tried driving the all seasons on some of the roads that were still snow covered today. They're decent on light snow. But even with a little tap of the brakes caused the ABS to kick in on the icy parts. And even if I do have ESC and 4WD, it's not going to ultimately help. They can only manage the existing grip.

And I agree with Pancor.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

giant_mtb

Where'd you get the LED's, Trep?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Pancor on November 23, 2007, 10:01:20 PM
Jeez, I wouldn't think of driving in winter without the proper tires.  All-season tires are are waaay too much of a compromise when you consider that the only thing between your car and the road is your rubber.  You think a tire that is designed to work well on a 30? August day works well on a -20? February day? 

No, but they work okay.

It must be nice to have money but some of us (me) can't afford to drop several hundred dollars on a separate set of wheels and tires for the few days of the year when you need them.

TheIntrepid

No, we just got the Camry this summer so we just bought them for it. The Trep's snow tires are on their second season.

Danish

I think what they mean is that they change over to the snow tires in the winter and back to the all seasons in the spring
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

TBR

Quote from: Pancor on November 23, 2007, 10:01:20 PM

So says the tire shop manager...

Submariner

This is the first year I'll be putting snow tires on the G (the 7 has all seasons, and I wont drive it when there is snow on the roads) Up until now I've stuck with the Stock Yokohomas, but I want a set of tires with some balls for when it gets tricky.  I'll mount them on 18 wheels, but other than that, I don't know what I'm looking for.

I also got a set of kick ass brush-guard lamps.  They turn night into day.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Pancor

Quote from: TBR on November 24, 2007, 10:03:42 PM
So says the tire shop manager...

I've had 4 winter tires on my cars every year since I was 17.  I haven't been in the tire business that long...  :lol:   I don't know where you live, but I suspect its not in the snow belt!

TBR

Not even close, we do occasionally get snow though, every couple of years that is :tounge: . I am down in Texas.

JYODER240

I need snow tires. I wouldn't get out of my driveway with my summer tires.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

footoflead

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 23, 2007, 04:22:40 PM

what the hell is with that tag that usually comes with the car doing there...you're not fooling anyone ;) :lol:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TheIntrepid

Quote from: footoflead on November 25, 2007, 09:37:15 PM
what the hell is with that tag that usually comes with the car doing there...you're not fooling anyone ;) :lol:

The airbag warning? I never took it off. :lol:

Champ

Quote from: dazzleman on November 23, 2007, 05:26:08 PM
I just stick with all season tires.  I haven't used snow tires in over 20 years.

Adam, I can understand why you like snow tires, living up in the north country as you do.  If I lived there, I'd get snow tires also.
I like to have summer performance tires in the summer time, so I have to do a second set of wheels for the winter time.  Might as well be snow tires if you are going through the trouble of swapping.  (I have never understood having a nice BMW "drivers car" then putting mediocre tires on it all year long).

And steel wheels for snow tires?  Lame.  Get some hub caps on those at least.  Shoulda got alloys!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on November 26, 2007, 06:50:38 AM
And steel wheels for snow tires?  Lame.  Get some hub caps on those at least.  Shoulda got alloys!

Why spend the extra money on alloys? The car's summer tires are on alloys already. Hubcaps are for p0sers.

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 26, 2007, 12:30:00 PM
Why spend the extra money on alloys? The car's summer tires are on alloys already. Hubcaps are for p0sers.
Shop around?  Alloys aren't that expensive.  You can get brand new ones for under $100 from tirerack.  I got my set 2 years ago for $500 used less than one season.  Gislaved snows mounted on BBS alloys.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on November 26, 2007, 01:11:47 PM
Shop around?  Alloys aren't that expensive.  You can get brand new ones for under $100 from tirerack.  I got my set 2 years ago for $500 used less than one season.  Gislaved snows mounted on BBS alloys.

As opposed to $20 each for steelies? :rolleyes:

My Trep's on 16" alloys from an Intrepid SE in the winter, as opposed to my 17" alloys used in the summer.

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 26, 2007, 01:29:19 PM
As opposed to $20 each for steelies? :rolleyes:

My Trep's on 16" alloys from an Intrepid SE in the winter, as opposed to my 17" alloys used in the summer.
Steelies are $49 for your car from the 'rack...  Who'd you blow for $20?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on November 26, 2007, 02:17:19 PM
Steelies are $49 for your car from the 'rack...  Who'd you blow for $20?

Toyota dealer. $79.99 for all 4

Champ