So my mom brings her '05 Corolla in for service....

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 26, 2007, 01:39:01 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

It's perceptive. I certainly treat my beater Corolla like it's disposable, but my friend (DodgeShadow on these forums) has a new 2007 Corolla CE with the SE package that's his first car in Canada that's not an old Voyager without a horn or a Shadow without a bumper. He babies it and thinks it's the nicest car ever.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

Quote from: hellonwheels on November 27, 2007, 01:34:03 PM
hark  the king of toyota trolls has sallied forth with a query in a vain attempt to change the subject  you should be cornhobbled for your wretched attempt

what vehicle i choose for my personal transportation of of little consequence with regard to this topic

in the realm of automobiles a corolla is a bottom feeder  inexpensive transportation for those who neither like not understand the automobile  corollas are bought with all the care and forethought that one spends when buying a new can opener or counter top mixer   

when your toaster gets scratched do you rush out and get it repainted and buffed to like new condition   of course you don't    you live with the imperfection and use the appliance until it suffers a terminal fault

corollas are the same   use it until it dies  discard and buy another   thats probably covered somewhere in the owners manual

Based on his typing, I'm assuming that he's dyslexic, and owns a car that might, just might be worth less than a Corolla. I mean, he appears to be a worthless piece of crap, himself.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2007, 02:09:41 PM
Based on his typing, I'm assuming that he's dyslexic, and owns a car that might, just might be worth less than a Corolla. I mean, he appears to be a worthless piece of crap, himself.

The 'r0lla's pretty tossable, so I wouldn't call it WORTHLESS. :lol:

Piece of crap, defs.

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 27, 2007, 02:12:15 PM

Piece of crap, defs.

Oh man, you think that's tossable? Wait till you drive an A4. Holy shit, that car defines tossable. At least in a sedan.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Then again, I haven't driven a 3-series. My dad's 5er gives you confidence in the twisties, and it's handling is fantastic. It's just too heavyset to be tossable.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2007, 02:13:48 PM
Oh man, you think that's tossable? Wait till you drive an A4. Holy shit, that car defines tossable. At least in a sedan.

I took a 0-60 video of the Accord. It's slower than you'd think :confused:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 27, 2007, 02:21:27 PM
When I get home tonight; my phone's in the car in the parking lot. :ohyeah:

Dude, I really hope it isn't in plain sight. If not, I would be a little worried. Call me paranoid, but my friend left a discman on his dad's car's front seat, and it got broken into. That was a Discman, let alone a W810i.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2007, 02:23:16 PM
Dude, I really hope it isn't in plain sight. If not, I would be a little worried. Call me paranoid, but my friend left a discman on his dad's car's front seat, and it got broken into. That was a Discman, let alone a W810i.

Whoever breaks into the Accord today is going to score big. There's a Magellan RoadMate 760 on the dash, an 80GB iPod Classic plugged into a Griffin iTrip, and a W810i (the latter two in the centre console). In the trunk is a Toshiba Tecra M5. It's a really safe campus though, a couple of my friends don't even bother locking the cars.

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 27, 2007, 02:27:13 PM
Whoever breaks into the Accord today is going to score big. There's a Magellan RoadMate 760 on the dash, an 80GB iPod Classic plugged into a Griffin iTrip, and a W810i (the latter two in the centre console). In the trunk is a Toshiba Tecra M5. It's a really safe campus though, a couple of my friends don't even bother locking the cars.

To leave all that stuff out in the open is retarded, Tepid.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2007, 02:46:38 PM
To leave all that stuff out in the open is retarded, Tepid.

It's not in the open, idiot. I said the phone and iPod were in the centre console and the laptop was in the trunk. GPS was on the dash though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 27, 2007, 02:12:15 PM

Piece of crap, defs.

This rock is tossable, but that does that make it worth anything?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

So just as I figured the body shop found a way to fuck it up...

I went and looked at it supposedly "finished" last night.

Bad things I noticed (in order):
- Polishing compound residue all in by the door mirror rubber, nothing says new quite like white compound everywhere
- More polishing residue in fender/A-pillar gap, at first glance makes the alignment of the fender look off.
- Light scratches on the black leading part of the mirror and one on the hood
- Clearcoat overspray about the size of a postage stamp on the hood near the window
- At first glance the fender repair looks OK, until you look a little closer and can see a couple underlying ripples showing through in reflection.

At that point I just stopped looking for shit.

Just talked to the service manager and asked him if he had looked at the car since it came back, he said "yeah, looks great". I'm like really? Because I was there last night and it didn't look all that great to me.

I await his call back before I decide whether or not to tell my mom to just call her fucking insurance company and then call Toyota Canada and Toyota Finance (car is leased) to let them know what has transpired.

Actually I think I may call the latter two right now since the fuckhead service manager hasn't called me back and its been about 30min now.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Rich

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 30, 2007, 08:10:46 AM
So just as I figured the body shop found a way to fuck it up...

I went and looked at it supposedly "finished" last night.

Bad things I noticed (in order):
- Polishing compound residue all in by the door mirror rubber, nothing says new quite like white compound everywhere
- More polishing residue in fender/A-pillar gap, at first glance makes the alignment of the fender look off.
- Light scratches on the black leading part of the mirror and one on the hood
- Clearcoat overspray about the size of a postage stamp on the hood near the window
- At first glance the fender repair looks OK, until you look a little closer and can see a couple underlying ripples showing through in reflection.

At that point I just stopped looking for shit.

Just talked to the service manager and asked him if he had looked at the car since it came back, he said "yeah, looks great". I'm like really? Because I was there last night and it didn't look all that great to me.

I await his call back before I decide whether or not to tell my mom to just call her fucking insurance company and then call Toyota Canada and Toyota Finance (car is leased) to let them know what has transpired.

Actually I think I may call the latter two right now since the fuckhead service manager hasn't called me back and its been about 30min now.

So what happened?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 14, 2007, 11:45:42 AM
So what happened?

I stopped in at the dealership and had a talk with the service manager who wasn't such a dick in person.

They had cleaned up all the compound and managed to polish out the spot on the hood that was bugging me.

Had they done this BEFORE they first called us to come pick up the car, I probably wouldn't have looked any closer at the car.

I mentioned to him that they (as a customer of the body shop) should have not accepted it like that in the first place. It wasn't their job to clean the thing up.

The only thing left is the fender itself. The repair is actually quite decent. It lines up along the back of the headlight and along the bumper good as new. There is still a little ripple in the paint work roughly in the center of that area, but they must have polished that area as well as it is more difficult to see now.

All in all I calmed down significantly after talking to this guy face to face and going over the car with him. You will have to look closely now to notice anything.

My mom thinks it looks great and she will probably demo it back up again anyway so thats the end of that...

Raghavan

I would've taken the $850 and lived with the damage if that was possible.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raghavan on December 14, 2007, 12:12:25 PM
I would've taken the $850 and lived with the damage if that was possible.

And drive around a 2yr old car with that obvious body damage?

I'm sorry I can't understand that point of view. This wasn't about trying to gain anything, simply about leaving there with what we came with.

etypejohn

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 14, 2007, 01:41:34 PM
And drive around a 2yr old car with that obvious body damage?

I'm sorry I can't understand that point of view. This wasn't about trying to gain anything, simply about leaving there with what we came with.

But did you? 

You may very well suffer a second loss for this when you trade the car off.  Cars in accidents, even minor ones, are often seen as having a lower resale and hence lower tradein value. 

You might want to consider asking for money to cover the diminished value.

An example:  My wifes 02 Mustang convertible was rearended.  Repairs came to under $2,000.  The car was repaired properly, no external sign of damage.  When we traded it off a year later we wqent to Carmax for an offer (good to have an idea of what someone will give you in cash when you are tallking to another dealer about a trade in).  Carfax looked at the cr and could spot the signs of a repair, they refused to buy it.  The dealer taking it in trade didn't look as closely.  No guarantee that won't always happen though.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: etypejohn on December 14, 2007, 01:50:12 PM
But did you? 

You may very well suffer a second loss for this when you trade the car off.  Cars in accidents, even minor ones, are often seen as having a lower resale and hence lower tradein value. 

You might want to consider asking for money to cover the diminished value.

An example:  My wifes 02 Mustang convertible was rearended.  Repairs came to under $2,000.  The car was repaired properly, no external sign of damage.  When we traded it off a year later we wqent to Carmax for an offer (good to have an idea of what someone will give you in cash when you are tallking to another dealer about a trade in).  Carfax looked at the cr and could spot the signs of a repair, they refused to buy it.  The dealer taking it in trade didn't look as closely.  No guarantee that won't always happen though.

Oh no, I know that we still got hosed if only slightly.

I would have put more effort into it if I knew she would appreciate it but quite frankly she wouldn't have.

Hopefully in 2yrs time when she trades it it (shes not that crazy about it), it will fly under the radar and she'll have a whole new car to fuck up. The dent she managed to get in the drivers quarter panel will probably distract anyone looking at it.

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on November 27, 2007, 05:25:20 PM

This rock is tossable, but that does that make it worth anything?

Depends on what's in the rock. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA