New Knight Rider TV show...New KITT too!

Started by SVT666, December 03, 2007, 01:32:29 PM

SVT666

New Knight Rider, New KITT

Hardcore fans of the original Knight Rider tv series may not like what they are reading but with no new Firebird coming soon the producers had to look elsewhere for a car to replace K.I.T.T. the talking car.  The Shelby GT500KR Mustang is that car and it will be making it?s TV screen debut real soon in the new Knight Rider TV show as KITT. According to Jalopnik.com they are filming the pilot right now in LA for the new tv show and somebody on the set snapped a few photos of the Black with Silver stripes Shelby GT500KR that plays KITT on the show.

Fire It Up

WHAT
BLASHPHEMY
At least they could have used a GTO or something.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

The Pirate

Though I have a hard time picturing K.I.T.T. as anything other than a 3rd gen Firebird, I'm not going to write off the 'Stang completely.  It could work, though I think the stripes need to disappear.  I'm curious as to who would play Michael Knight. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

I thought a Corvette might work.

Who is going to play Michael Knight?  And they better not fuck with the origin story.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Here are my sentiments on the Knight Rider series as well as a brief primer on VVT/VVL:

Quote from: Me on Honda-techPeople are mixing up variable valve timing and variable valve lift.

VVT = cam phasing, aka computer controlled cam gear.
VVL = profile changing, aka having "two cams in one"

BMW and Nissan, IIRC, came out with variable valve TIMING in '90-91, on the E36 M3 and the 300ZX/Maxima SE, respectively.

GM was working on variable valve lift in the '80s, at the same time as Honda, without either of them knowing about the other.

Honda came out with the CRX and Civic SiRs, but due to the anti-import bias in the 80s, GM got the nod to have their car in Knight Rider. Had the CRX been used, the show would at least still be in syndication, but more likely still on the air.

Nissan has come out with a version of VVL that varies the amount of lift infinitesimally. Imagine VTEC, but instead of 2 cams, you have an infinite amount, from near zero lift to max. Honda may be coming out with this system as well.

At the very least, GM could have equipped the show's Firebird with their version of VVL. I'm sure that would have increased the show's fanfare 4-5 fold

Rich

Well they bullshitted/outright lied about the picture so it's my opinion that they bullshitted that the car is going to be a Mustang.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on December 03, 2007, 02:57:32 PM
I thought a Corvette might work.

Who is going to play Michael Knight?  And they better not fuck with the origin story.
The Vette is a no brainer. Shit make it a Z06!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 03, 2007, 03:08:56 PM
The Vette is a no brainer. Shit make it a Z06!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I thought of the Z06 the first time I saw a black C5 Z06.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 03, 2007, 03:04:46 PM
Here are my sentiments on the Knight Rider series as well as a brief primer on VVT/VVL:

At the very least, GM could have equipped the show's Firebird with their version of VVL. I'm sure that would have increased the show's fanfare 4-5 fold

KITT was a Trans Am because Glen Larson liked the lines on the new for '82 Trans Am.  It had absolutely nothing to do with mechanicals and everything to do with the producer finding a car that he thought looked great.

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 03, 2007, 03:04:52 PM
Well they bullshitted/outright lied about the picture so it's my opinion that they bullshitted that the car is going to be a Mustang.
:huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 03, 2007, 03:11:29 PM
KITT was a Trans Am because Glen Larson liked the lines on the new for '82 Trans Am.  It had absolutely nothing to do with mechanicals and everything to do with the producer finding a car that he thought looked great.

I remember a made-for-TV movie that came out in '92 or '93 called "Knight 2000" or something, which still starred Hasselhoff, but the "new" KITT was the '91 Pontiac Banshee concept car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2007, 03:53:29 PM
I remember a made-for-TV movie that came out in '92 or '93 called "Knight 2000" or something, which still starred Hasselhoff, but the "new" KITT was the '91 Pontiac Banshee concept car.
Wasn't the car red in that movie?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 03, 2007, 04:38:18 PM
Wasn't the car red in that movie?

Yes! it was this car:

Which apparently was an '88 concept, but I was certain I saw it at the '91 autoshow...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2007, 04:46:26 PM
Yes! it was this car:

Which apparently was an '88 concept, but I was certain I saw it at the '91 autoshow...
...and looks like a '94 and up Trans Am.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 03, 2007, 04:54:29 PM
...and looks like a '94 and up Trans Am.

In some ways, yes: and it was intended to be the next Trans Am.

sandertheshark

At the least, they should use a new Camaro.  Somehow I don't think GM would require much of a push to make a one-off rebadged Trans-Am just to promote Pontiac on the show.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 03, 2007, 03:11:29 PM

While your story makes *some* sense, I think that if Glen Larson had heard a CRX/Civic go into VTEC he would have changed his mind. I know for a fact that a CRX would have made more sense in Back To The Future as well, as you could time travel without leaving first gear...

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 03, 2007, 05:19:57 PM
While your story makes *some* sense, I think that if Glen Larson had heard a CRX/Civic go into VTEC he would have changed his mind. I know for a fact that a CRX would have made more sense in Back To The Future as well, as you could time travel without leaving first gear...

CRX does 88mph in first gear?

And no, a CRX would not have made more sense.  Because it makes more sense.  The point of using the DeLorean was so you could travel in style, Doc even said that.  An econobox isn't exactly the epitome of style. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

So you think that is they used a CRX, the show would have stayed on the air for over 20 years?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on December 03, 2007, 05:24:25 PM

And no, a CRX would not have made more sense.  Because it makes more sense.  The point of using the DeLorean was so you could travel in style, Doc even said that.  An econobox isn't exactly the epitome of style. 

He also said that the conductivity of the stainless steel skin had something to do with it...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on December 03, 2007, 05:25:38 PM
So you think that is they used a CRX, the show would have stayed on the air for over 20 years?

I hate to point out the obvious, but that would also mean we'd probably never get to see Jasime Bleeth slow-motion running up a beach on Baywatch, because Hasselhoff would never have needed that series.

That's the problem with time travel: it's hard to understand the full consequences of our actions...

Rich

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2007, 03:53:29 PM

It was a Dodge Stealth created to look as close as the studio could get to the Banshee concept car.  For some reason GM wouldn't let them use a copy of the Banshee:

http://www.jayohrberg.com/37.html

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 03, 2007, 06:07:00 PM
It was a Dodge Stealth created to look as close as the studio could get to the Banshee concept car.  For some reason GM wouldn't let them use a copy of the Banshee:

http://www.jayohrberg.com/37.html

I have been one-upped yet again!!

Vinsanity

Rich

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2007, 06:09:03 PM
I have been one-upped yet again!!

Now if I could only one up you on mechanical knowledge instead of useless Knight Rider trivia I would be much better off :lol:

93JC

GM was working on variable valve lift in the '80s, at the same time as Honda, without either of them knowing about the other.

'70s, not '80s. GM had patents on VVL systems as early as '75, way before Honda.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on December 03, 2007, 06:44:49 PM

'70s, not '80s. GM had patents on VVL systems as early as '75, way before Honda.

DaVinci had drawings of helicopters way before Sikorsky did too...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on December 03, 2007, 05:24:25 PM

1. You must have never seen a CRX tarted up with full Mugen aerodynamic enhancements...

2. The accelerative force (actually the time derivative of that force) from the cam changeover would be more than enough for time travel, while getting better gas mileage than the Trans Am, further adding to the life of the show...

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 03, 2007, 07:03:36 PM
1. You must have never seen a CRX tarted up with full Mugen aerodynamic enhancements...

2. The accelerative force (actually the time derivative of that force) from the cam changeover would be more than enough for time travel, while getting better gas mileage than the Trans Am, further adding to the life of the show...

Yeah, the CRX is the answer to everything.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i