Plasma TV vs LCD TV

Started by 565, December 03, 2007, 07:27:27 PM

Now they come in around the same sizes, which do you have or perfer?

Plasma
10 (35.7%)
LCD
18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

93JC

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on December 04, 2007, 05:47:18 PM
CRTs FTMFW
I know that some people believe they have better pictures then LCD or Plasma, but I have never seen one that even comes close.

Raghavan

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 04, 2007, 05:57:16 PM
I know that some people believe they have better pictures then LCD or Plasma, but I have never seen one that even comes close.
My brother's computer monitor that is CRT is very very crappy compared to the LCD monitors.

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 04, 2007, 05:57:16 PM

It's not a matter of belief, CRT's inherently produce the best quality pictures period. Think CRT vs LCD monitors for gaming.  All the hardcore gamers still swear by CRT.  Don't confuse large, bright, or high resolution pictures with quality. In fact all LCD's, Plasma's, and DLP TV's, etc can only try to emulate the images that CRT's naturally produce.  CRT's have best native contrast, best response times, blackest black levels, no native resolution limitations, etc etc.  The black level for a CRT is nearly absolute (except for lingering phosphor glow from previous illumination), when a CRT displays a black screen it is actually black.  Turn off all the lights and the screen and room will look completely dark. An LCD with a black screen will still easily light up a room due to its back lit nature.  A high quality plasma displaying a black screen will still be faintly visible. The response time for CRT's are basically the time it takes for the electrons to travel the foot or so distance from the electron guns to the screen and then for the phosphors to relax.  The electron travel is measured in nanoseconds and the relax is measured in microseconds. By comparision the best LCD's are on the order of several miliseconds.  That's orders of magnitute greater. The best that flat panels can hope for is to approach the standards set by CRT's.

The reason why the CRT's you've seen don't look as good is mostly because high quality CRT's are hard to come across now, especially widescreen versions that run high def.  And because CRT's are so difficult to make larger than 40 inches (in 4:3 ratio), there's hardly a need for full 1080 unless you are sitting 1 foot away from the screen.  They are also HUGE and heavy and seen as not as trendy as before.  Thus most of the CRT's on display are in the super cheapo section.  CRT's are still the standard used by people in the entertainment industry when examining the quality of DVD's.

The last of the great consumer CRT's were probably of this generation (from 3 years ago).

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/direct-view-tvs-crt/sony-kd-34xbr960/4505-6481_7-30787600.html?tag=prod.txt.5

I think CRT's are soon going to go the way of analoge audio turntables.  They still still deliever the best quality and will still be perferred by those who demand the best picture, but their lack of convenience will lose them the consumer market place.

GoCougs

Having just done the rounds on getting a new TV, and having no biases about it, LCD simply looked better to me in the 40-50" sizes - the guy at the TV shop where I bought confirmed that was generally the case. I ended up with a Toshiba 42" Regza LCD.

S204STi

HD projector on a grey screen, thanks.

r0tor

i just got a 1080p 40" Samsung LCD tv!!....  :cheers: :lol: :partyon: :clap: :praise:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on December 14, 2007, 05:48:27 PM
i just got a 1080p 40" Samsung LCD tv!!....  :cheers: :lol: :partyon: :clap: :praise:

Nice! Now go get a PS3 and CoD4!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on December 04, 2007, 05:47:18 PM
CRTs FTMFW

You are wrong, young man trying to act like an old man.

CRTs are cheaper, but that is the only real benefit.

93JC

That's the GREATEST benefit.

I don't really care about HDTV and all that techno-crap.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on December 14, 2007, 09:38:23 PM
That's the GREATEST benefit.

I don't really care about HDTV and all that techno-crap.

It's smaller and frees up more space in small rooms.

93JC

Whatever, dude. Can you even get a small LCD or plasma TV? Most of the ones I see are around 3' screens, which is too big for my wall unit.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on December 14, 2007, 09:41:58 PM
Whatever, dude. Can you even get a small LCD or plasma TV? Most of the ones I see are around 3' screens, which is too big for my wall unit.

Is 15" small enough?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8205417&type=product&id=1165610379139

Raza

They make them computer monitor small.  I was going to buy a 20" before my dad said he'd get a 37" for me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Tave

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 14, 2007, 09:23:02 PM
You are wrong, young man trying to act like an old man.

CRTs are cheaper, but that is the only real benefit.

So would you care to answer any of 565's comments about CRTs? He technical outline seems to support the opposite.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

You should have read all the first page. Here's mine:

15 inches of digital fury. You can run it as a monitor, but it's designed as a tv. Great viewing angles, especially compared to my notebook screen.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

We're buying a 21" LCD for our bedroom.

Rich

I bought a 720p 39.98" Samsung LCD tv a few days ago, so far it's nice.  I haven't played GT4 on it yet, but I bet I'll be impressed.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

sportyaccordy

I just got a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD like hours ago... don't have cable yet though, lol

Next purchase will be one of those step-up DVD players.

My dad has a 50" plasma at home and it's pretty nice.

r0tor

viewing my camera pics on the 40" 1080p LCD is absolutely stunning!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 20, 2007, 01:56:50 PM
I bought a 720p 39.98" Samsung LCD tv a few days ago, so far it's nice.  I haven't played GT4 on it yet, but I bet I'll be impressed.

i just played GT4 on my 1080p and its a bit blurry... not sure if its just not enough resolution from the PS2 or the A/V cables

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2007, 12:26:49 PM
I just got a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD like hours ago... don't have cable yet though, lol

Next purchase will be one of those step-up DVD players.

My dad has a 50" plasma at home and it's pretty nice.

Don't let yourself get ripped off with a $60+ HDMI cable.  The price gouging on these digital cables is insane.  It's digital, the signal is either there or not there.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on December 21, 2007, 05:43:05 PM
Don't let yourself get ripped off with a $60+ HDMI cable.  The price gouging on these digital cables is insane.  It's digital, the signal is either there or not there.

I paid $100 for mine :mrcool:

Gonna take it back, ASAP. I'm almost certain my cable provider will provide an HDMI cable with the box, and from what I'm reading the quality with component cables is the same as HDMI. Seems like marketing to me.

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Catman

When I bought my 50" Panasonic Plasma I compared with some LCD's and felt the plasma had a richer looking picture, particularly the blacks as suggested earlier.  I could go either way though, it wouldn't bother me.

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on December 21, 2007, 05:43:05 PM

That's not exactly true. HDMI will tolerate a bit of loss and still function with a supposed degrade in quality; its bailwick however is that it's not as susceptible to noise and signal loss as analog.

Regarding pricing of cables, there are the anecdotes of cable manufactuers gouging, but quality can encompass wire guage, shielding quality, and mechanical strength of the connectors.

Also, each new rev of HDMI specifies higher bandwidths and resolutions - using an HDMI 1.0 cable on an HDMI 1.3b system would be problematic. And guess which one costs more? I recommend that people do research on the cables (especially rev) before they buy them - a number of places I looked at won't take back opened cables.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BimmerM3

My family has a 50" Panasonic Plasma, a 42" Panasonic Plasma, and a 32" Sharp LCD. Personally I like the plasmas better. They seem to have brighter colors and darker blacks compared to the LCD. However, the Sharp is 1080p capable, though we don't have any 1080p devices (until tomorrow... Dad's getting a BluRay for Christmas).