New Forester!

Started by the Teuton, December 09, 2007, 01:14:12 PM

ifcar

I'd fuss a bit if I spent $20,000 and up on a truck that disappeared...

S204STi

As for the Forester, I think it looks great, and it should be a success.

The only thing I dislike is using the Impreza interior.  The previous interior was much more useful and fitting, I thought.

ifcar

It too, of course, was very similar to the correlating generation of Impreza.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 11, 2007, 09:46:06 AM
The steering wheel is also on the wrong side!

Learn something new everyday.  :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

It's hard for me to read those Japanese letters, but did I see something about a turbo H6 motor in this thing? :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on December 12, 2007, 07:59:19 AM
If I had a cabin in the mountains and wanted a small Jeepish vehicle to leave there year-round, I'd think about the Vitara.  It has low range in its T-case, and it's cheap and unlovable enough not to fuss too much about it being stolen or lost in a mud slide.

Those kinds of attributes rarely make it into the sales pitch.

It's ugly and disposable! Buy two, they're small.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FordSVT

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 12, 2007, 05:50:48 PM
Those kinds of attributes rarely make it into the sales pitch.

Well, maybe it should. It's how they've sold Jeeps for 50 years and I don't see a line-up to by Grand Vitaras. As a family vehicle there are many better choices, it's strengths really are, IMO, it's rugged quality. I don't think it's ugly, but it's certainly amongst the most truck-like of the small SUVs. It's no XTerra but I wouldn't be scared to death to drive it down a bumpy road like I would be in a RAV4 or CRV.

ifcar

A standard passenger car can handle a bumpy road.

FordSVT

Quote from: ifcar on December 13, 2007, 07:00:25 AM
A standard passenger car can handle a bumpy road.

:rolleyes:  I thought it was pretty obvious I was using hyperbole to make a point, but I guess I shouldn't count on someone not nit-picking to death everything everyone says around here in a vein attempt to look intelligent, even Mods.

ifcar

That was not my intention. It's more that I see an all-too-frequent underestimation of the capabilities of car-based SUVs. Yes, they're just passenger cars with a higher ground clearance and available all-wheel-drive, but that is enough to handle a great deal of off-road behavior short of pure recreation.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FordSVT on December 13, 2007, 06:54:46 AM
Well, maybe it should. It's how they've sold Jeeps for 50 years and I don't see a line-up to by Grand Vitaras. As a family vehicle there are many better choices, it's strengths really are, IMO, it's rugged quality. I don't think it's ugly, but it's certainly amongst the most truck-like of the small SUVs. It's no XTerra but I wouldn't be scared to death to drive it down a bumpy road like I would be in a RAV4 or CRV.

Have you seen the resale prices on Wranglers? I certainly wouldn't call them disposable by any means.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2007, 08:35:33 AM
Have you seen the resale prices on Wranglers? I certainly wouldn't call them disposable by any means.

Resale on those things is disgusting.  I see 5-10 year old Wranglers regularly going for nearly $20k.

FordSVT

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2007, 08:35:33 AM

You're the only one calling anything disposable, I was responding more to R-inge's comment than yours. There is nothing wrong with rugged.

And yes, Wranglers have awesome resale. There's nothing else on the market like it and everyone from teenage girls to hard-core off-roaders always have their eyes out for a used item. Even half-beaten to crap old CJs and YJs will get $5000+ as long as the frame is good and the body doesn't need much work. Working motor is optional, the hardcore guys swap them in most cases anyways.

the Teuton

Quote from: FordSVT on December 13, 2007, 01:09:02 PM
You're the only one calling anything disposable, I was responding more to R-inge's comment than yours. There is nothing wrong with rugged.

And yes, Wranglers have awesome resale. There's nothing else on the market like it and everyone from teenage girls to hard-core off-roaders always have their eyes out for a used item. Even half-beaten to crap old CJs and YJs will get $5000+ as long as the frame is good and the body doesn't need much work. Working motor is optional, the hardcore guys swap them in most cases anyways.

And no one knows the difference between them and CJs, so if you're insane and cheap like me, you'd probably be better off looking at one of them.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FordSVT

Quote from: the Teuton on December 13, 2007, 01:21:25 PM
And no one knows the difference between them and CJs, so if you're insane and cheap like me, you'd probably be better off looking at one of them.

Most definitely. I'd never buy one unless I intended to put it on it's roof at some point, and I'm sure as heck not going to do that with a $15-20,000 late model TJ. Some light trucking, a bit of mud and an open top is the reason most people buy them, which is fine. Let them buy new ones so the enthusiasts can buy them for four figures and build on them.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on December 13, 2007, 01:21:25 PM

They have square headlights.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FordSVT on December 13, 2007, 02:43:56 PM
Most definitely. I'd never buy one unless I intended to put it on it's roof at some point, and I'm sure as heck not going to do that with a $15-20,000 late model TJ. Some light trucking, a bit of mud and an open top is the reason most people buy them, which is fine. Let them buy new ones so the enthusiasts can buy them for four figures and build on them.

They're pretty hard to get on the roof. They like laying on their sides occasionaly, but even that takes concerted effort.

They don't really seem to mind though as long as you give thoil to drain back out of combustion chambers. I'f you're an impatient type, just pull the sparkplugs and crank the starter.

nickdrinkwater

Looks boring.  It looks about five years old already.

FordSVT

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2007, 05:36:07 PM
They're pretty hard to get on the roof. They like laying on their sides occasionaly, but even that takes concerted effort.

They don't really seem to mind though as long as you give thoil to drain back out of combustion chambers. I'f you're an impatient type, just pull the sparkplugs and crank the starter.

I was kidding. I'm just saying the only reason I'd ever buy a Jeep is if I was going to do things with it that the average human being wouldn't dare do with a new truck, and that it wouldn't be anything close to stock.

S204STi

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 14, 2007, 07:38:44 AM
Looks boring.  It looks about five years old already.

That pretty much nails the Subaru styling curve, BTW, :lol:

TBR

When is this coming out? I'd like to put a XT Limited on my mom's shopping list (despite the fact both of my parents drive like extremely old people, they don't think 165hp in the Outback is enough), but the AT of the new model could be a deal breaker (and, if it isn't then Subaru probably won't make the list this time around).

Eye of the Tiger

pretty much just lesbians drive Foresters, so I dont know why all you guys even care

FordSVT

Quote from: NACar on December 15, 2007, 11:53:04 PM
pretty much just lesbians drive Foresters, so I dont know why all you guys even care

And middle-ages ex-hippies. A friend of mine's parents are total granola eaters and own a Forester and a WRX. Nice cars, total hippies. One's a pro-bono attorney. I can go to them for weed.  :rastaman:

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on December 15, 2007, 11:53:04 PM

I dig the Forester, and in fact would like to put my wife in one of these new ones if she wasn't so dead-set on a pickup truck.

S204STi

Quote from: FordSVT on December 16, 2007, 08:17:04 AM
And middle-ages ex-hippies. A friend of mine's parents are total granola eaters and own a Forester and a WRX. Nice cars, total hippies. One's a pro-bono attorney. I can go to them for weed.  :rastaman:

My kind of people! :rockon:

CALL_911

Quote from: FordSVT on December 16, 2007, 08:17:04 AM

Do they also listen to Phish?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FordSVT

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 16, 2007, 09:40:52 AM
Do they also listen to Phish?

They've seen them a dozen times. Used to go see the Dead too. I actually went with them to see Dave Matthews in Montreal a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, they're really good people. Successful too.

the Teuton

I'm trying to get my mom to replace her van with a Forester.  Does that make her a lesbian, Nick?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 17, 2007, 10:56:41 AM
I'm trying to get my mom to replace her van with a Forester.  Does that make her a lesbian, Nick?

No, it just means you're trying to make her a lesbian. The choice is hers.  :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 17, 2007, 11:08:58 AM
No, it just means you're trying to make her a lesbian. The choice is hers.  :lol:

It's most-likely going to be a PT Cruiser or a Forester, but she's really liking the security of AWD lately.  For someone who's owned mostly RWD cars in her life and drove commercial Mercedes-Benz diesel trucks for her dad, that kinda surprises me.