IFCAR Comparo: Full-Size SUVs

Started by ifcar, July 06, 2005, 04:29:33 PM

TBR

QuoteDo you mean based on quality, or space/comfort?
Quality and design.
I completely disagree on both counts. Design is subjective, but I find it both bland and outdated, almost to the level of the GM trucks. And quality is less subjective, and every Exped I've been in had low-quality plastics, excessive panel gaps, and at least one example of misaligned trim.
Wait, you also think that the DURANGO has hq materials?  :blink:
No, but they are higher quality than the others.  

ifcar

I disagree there as well. Most of the dash is fine, the rest of the interior is not.

Raghavan

Catman

QuoteI considered the Armada when it first came out but decided against it since it was unproven.  That decision was a good one.  The first year was riddled with quality issues.

ifcar, the only issue I have with your test is when you say the Tahoe has a btter third row than the Sequoia.  When I was shopping I found the Sequoia much better in that regard.
Unless I made a typo or made something unclear, I said several times that the Tahoe had the worst third row in the test. I know it's shown on the Evaluations page as well.
No you're right, I was reading the wrong page when I formed my misunderstanding. :blink:  

Catman

The only other issue I have is the comments regarding the Sequioa's ride.  When I tested these trucks the Sequoia rode better than the Tahoe, Expedition and Armada (didn't drive the Durango).  Unless Nissan changed something from the 2004 it was pretty bumpy.  The Expy was real jittery and the IRS didn't seem to offer any advantage.  The Tahoe wasn't bad.  That being said, even if the Sequoia was a little worse ride-wise I still would have got it because I do prefer the solid axle.  The soft suspension with the solid axle really handle well off road while at the same time offer consistent ground clearance that IRS doesn't.  I have no idea why Toyota's tow ratings are low.  The Sequoia has a fully boxed frame and pretty good torque.  Though towing wasn't much of an issue for me since anything I would tow is sub 5000lb.  The Sequoia's suspension is tuned more for ride so maybe that's the reason.  I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota tuned for ride over towing since most people never tow much.

TBR

Just out of curiousity, do you actually offroad with your Sequioa? Anyway, I don't understand all of the complaints about the Expedition's ride, it seemed pretty good to me and was much better than the bobbing of the Suburban/Tahoe.  

Catman

I don't off road regurlarly just a couple times a year we go exploring when we go up to Moosehead Lake in ME.  As soon as the OEM tires go I'm putting on some all terrain ones.  The stock tires suck.  

BMWDave

QuoteI don't off road regurlarly just a couple times a year we go exploring when we go up to Moosehead Lake in ME.  As soon as the OEM tires go I'm putting on some all terrain ones.  The stock tires suck.
What type are you thinking about putting on?  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

QuoteI don't off road regurlarly just a couple times a year we go exploring when we go up to Moosehead Lake in ME.  As soon as the OEM tires go I'm putting on some all terrain ones.  The stock tires suck.

I've heard good things about Bridgestone Dueler Revo.

BMWDave

QuoteI don't off road regurlarly just a couple times a year we go exploring when we go up to Moosehead Lake in ME.? As soon as the OEM tires go I'm putting on some all terrain ones.? The stock tires suck.

I've heard good things about Bridgestone Dueler Revo.

Cool. :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...