Accident

Started by Champ, December 11, 2007, 01:14:29 PM

Champ

Finally an update:

The dude who hit me finally called and claimed to his insurance company.  Since our stories matched they are going to cover the cost of repair to my car + rental car.

Now the body shop told me they found used body panels to use instead of new.  Am I able to say I want the new panels instead?

Danish

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

etypejohn

Quote from: Champ on December 18, 2007, 10:16:33 AM
Finally an update:

The dude who hit me finally called and claimed to his insurance company.  Since our stories matched they are going to cover the cost of repair to my car + rental car.

Now the body shop told me they found used body panels to use instead of new.  Am I able to say I want the new panels instead?

You have that right.

The Pirate

Finally an update:

Yep, request new stuff, and be assertive about it. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

The only reason to get used parts is to save money.  But with the other guy covering the costs, get gold plated panels.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Well talked to the body shop, they said the used parts are gone so it's new anyways.  They are ordering them now, and I will drop off the car on the 31st of this month, so they will start it fresh after new years.

The person I was talking to said the more experienced techs were taking time off so she wanted me to wait until they got back.  That was nice of her :ohyeah:

So I think I'm goin to wash it (salty as all getout) and put it in the garage until the end of the month.

Soup DeVille

Finally an update:

Depends, do you want to: It could be a choice between used OEM panels and brand new reproduction ones.

I'd go with the OEMs in almost all cases: they geenerally have better corrosion protection.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hounddog

Finally an update:

Did you ever file a police report?  If so, contact the PD which handled it and advise them you discovered who the guy was.  If you have his info, give it to the police.  In every state leaving the scene of an accident is a crime.  It is quite possible he was avoiding the law, which may indicate he is a criminal beyond the LSA issue.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2007, 06:31:18 PM
Depends, do you want to: It could be a choice between used OEM panels and brand new reproduction ones.

I'd go with the OEMs in almost all cases: they geenerally have better corrosion protection.
I think it might be more indepth than that.  In example, here in Michigan, we as the vehicle owner have the right to argue and contest what parts get placed on a vehicle.  If it is within a certain age, they have no choice but to use OEM parts if you tell them to. 

Find out from a law office what your rights are.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on December 18, 2007, 06:46:07 PM
I think it might be more indepth than that.  In example, here in Michigan, we as the vehicle owner have the right to argue and contest what parts get placed on a vehicle.  If it is within a certain age, they have no choice but to use OEM parts if you tell them to. 

Find out from a law office what your rights are.

That is the case in Michigan, I went through that argument with the dealer when my wife's grand am was hit a few years ago.

BTW: when the s2000 had rear end damage, I took it to Northland collision (Ferndale). When I asked about the panels being replaced they told me they never use anything but OEM panels unless its a classic car that they're unavailable on.

I've been a loyal customer ever since.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on December 18, 2007, 06:51:20 PM
How do you know? 

How do I know about the law, or how do I know about the panels?

Well, I eventually got the service manager to admit that the law was on my side, and Honda replacement panels have a holographic sticker on them saying they're OEM.

Champ

Quote from: hounddog on December 18, 2007, 06:44:03 PM
Did you ever file a police report?  If so, contact the PD which handled it and advise them you discovered who the guy was.  If you have his info, give it to the police.  In every state leaving the scene of an accident is a crime.  It is quite possible he was avoiding the law, which may indicate he is a criminal beyond the LSA issue.
Yea I called the state patrol and an officer came on scene and wrote a report.  They sent each of us a letter and we had to fill out what happened and send it in.

Champ

So the insurance company wasn't willing to pay mileage to drive to Milwaukee, WI to get the pinstripe redone, but would pay for the stripe itself.

Which is fine.

However I lol'd a bit when I offered this and they declined:  I said I would forgo the rental car if they would pay my mileage there and back, which would be considerably cheaper than paying for a rental.  They said they couldn't do that!  I just think it's funny how the claims work - can't pay out mileage but will pay out MORE for a car just because it's standard or w/e.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on December 18, 2007, 10:27:45 PM
So the insurance company wasn't willing to pay mileage to drive to Milwaukee, WI to get the pinstripe redone, but would pay for the stripe itself.

Which is fine.

However I lol'd a bit when I offered this and they declined:  I said I would forgo the rental car if they would pay my mileage there and back, which would be considerably cheaper than paying for a rental.  They said they couldn't do that!  I just think it's funny how the claims work - can't pay out mileage but will pay out MORE for a car just because it's standard or w/e.

Have you given any thought to my gold plated replacement part idea?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on December 19, 2007, 10:58:05 PM
Too heavy- adds to the vehicle's overall weight and reduces acceleration and braking capabilities.  :-)
Will

Champ

Quote from: Raza  on December 19, 2007, 10:58:05 PM
I wonder how the car would handle with one side really heavy?

Danish

Quote from: Champ on December 20, 2007, 09:58:05 AM
I wonder how the car would handle with one side really heavy?

It would help for NASCAR racing events

Champ

Dropped the car off at the shop!  I'm really worried it comes out ok, but I think it'll be good.

They are giving me my old bumper back which I can sell for $300-$500 depending how much I hold out.

I got a Jeep Compass as a rental vehicle.  Needless to say it's sitting in my driveway while the '91 900 is getting driven.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on January 08, 2008, 10:52:12 AM
Dropped the car off at the shop!  I'm really worried it comes out ok, but I think it'll be good.

They are giving me my old bumper back which I can sell for $300-$500 depending how much I hold out.

I got a Jeep Compass as a rental vehicle.  Needless to say it's sitting in my driveway while the '91 900 is getting driven.

Out of curiosity, why are you not using the rental? IMO no matter how unfun and shitty it is, I'd drive it to take advantage of the fact that I've got a free car to use, not having to care about wear/tear etc...

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2008, 12:18:36 PM
Out of curiosity, why are you not using the rental? IMO no matter how unfun and shitty it is, I'd drive it to take advantage of the fact that I've got a free car to use, not having to care about wear/tear etc...
Thought about that, then I realzed I get much better mileage (I drive ~60 miles a day) out of my car and it's way more fun to drive - and is better in the shitty road conditions we have right now.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on January 08, 2008, 12:54:22 PM
Thought about that, then I realzed I get much better mileage (I drive ~60 miles a day) out of my car and it's way more fun to drive - and is better in the shitty road conditions we have right now.

First two factors are good :ohyeah:

I don't know much about either car, but an old RWD Saab is better in shitty road conditions than a new Jeep?

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2008, 01:01:48 PM

I don't know much about either car, but an old RWD Saab is better in shitty road conditions than a new Jeep?

Saab 900 is FWD, ace.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on January 08, 2008, 01:09:57 PM

Saab 900 is FWD, ace.

Oops! I always thought it was RWD for some reason

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2008, 01:11:23 PM
Thinking of Volvo probably.

There is a reason Saab dominated/did very well in the rally scene in the 60's,70's, and early 80's.  The cars fking own in incliment weather.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on January 08, 2008, 01:16:38 PM
Thinking of Volvo probably.

Yeah, I was thinking of the 240DL in fact. :mask:

Danish

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2008, 01:01:48 PM

The Saab is a front driver and the Compass is a crossover, not a real SUV. Hell, it shares a platform with a Lancer

Danish

Damn, this is what I get for leaving a window for an hour and then not bothering to check if a question has been answered before putting my two cents in

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2008, 01:11:23 PM

Maybe because it looks like it is:

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2008, 01:29:08 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of the 240DL in fact. :mask:

Those are also great in snow. They're Swedish, after all.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA