Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes

Started by Raza , December 11, 2007, 02:47:12 PM

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 11, 2007, 06:44:06 PM
Nice review, man. :cheers:

Thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention.  When dry shifting, I had a little trouble finding the 5/6 gate.  This has got to be the first Japanese car I've ever driven without a push down lockout, and if you're not careful, you might shove the shifter into the reverse gate.  The shifter doesn't have that "snick-snick" lightness of other Hondas.  It's heavier and more deliberate.  The spring loading is especially tight, shooting the knob back to the 3/4 dead spot very quickly.  I think that might be part of the problem when shifting hard and fast.  You get used to the weight, so you push over and up, and shove it into the R dead spot. 

Honestly, I can't think of any other complaints. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 06:59:07 PM
Thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention.  When dry shifting, I had a little trouble finding the 5/6 gate.  This has got to be the first Japanese car I've ever driven without a push down lockout, and if you're not careful, you might shove the shifter into the reverse gate.  The shifter doesn't have that "snick-snick" lightness of other Hondas.  It's heavier and more deliberate.  The spring loading is especially tight, shooting the knob back to the 3/4 dead spot very quickly.  I think that might be part of the problem when shifting hard and fast.  You get used to the weight, so you push over and up, and shove it into the R dead spot. 

The R gate is locked out, no matter if there is the push down/up lockout.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 07:01:55 PM
The R gate is locked out, no matter if there is the push down/up lockout.

I know that.  The Boxster has the same lockout mechanism (the PRH, or "Push Really Hard", lockout)

Perhaps it's just an issue when not moving.  It's not just about accidentally sticking the thing into the reverse gate.  It just shows that it's not the best shifter I've had.  I've never had that problem when dry shifting before.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Generally I've found that Honda shifters are great.
I want to drive this Si Mugen. Too bad only 1000 will be made. How'd you drive one?

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 07:11:41 PM
Generally I've found that Honda shifters are great.
I want to drive this Si Mugen. Too bad only 1000 will be made. How'd you drive one?

I walked up and asked. 

Actually, he asked me if I wanted to take it out.

Honestly, I've driven only 3 manual transmissioned Hondas, and I don't think they're as venerable as the magazines say they are. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 07:16:19 PM
I walked up and asked. 

Honestly, I've driven only 3 manual transmissioned Hondas, and I don't think they're as venerable as the magazines say they are. 
I've only driven two, and I thought they were really easy and good to drive, except for the finicky and hard to operate clutch on the Civic.

LonghornTX

That is a good review Raza  :thumbsup:.

I have driven the standard Si many a times (when I worked at Infiniti, it became my "errand" car) and I like it quite a bit.  Were I looking for something a bit cheaper than the Mustang, it would definitely be at the top of the list.  It is nice to know that the Mugen model does bring some added improvements, but to me, as someone who likes to modify their cars, I see this as a bit too expensive because I could do all the worthwhile improvements and save on the cosmetic stuff.  But, for someone who is averse to those type of things, I can see this as a very appealing package.

I find it interesting that you disliked the shifter.  Maybe it is different?  I remembered thinking that the standard car's box was the best of many that I driven lately (Porsche, BMW, etc)...
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 07:25:40 PM
I've only driven two, and I thought they were really easy and good to drive, except for the finicky and hard to operate clutch on the Civic.

Thinking twice, I've also driven two Acuras with manual transmissions.  Of the TL, TSX, last gen Civic, Civic Si, and Mugen, only the TSX impressed.  The others weren't bad, they just weren't noteworthy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 08:03:11 PM
Thinking twice, I've also driven two Acuras with manual transmissions.  Of the TL, TSX, last gen Civic, Civic Si, and Mugen, only the TSX impressed.  The others weren't bad, they just weren't noteworthy.

Our Civic's gate was really tight.  The shifts were very short, but the lever was kinda long, in an economy car kinda way.  It was easy to miss a shift, but once you got the hang of it, it worked like magic, IMO.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 06:59:07 PM
Thanks!

I haven't been to impressed with Honda shifters either, and I have driven a variety of them (all older mind you). The only one I liked was in a '88 Accord DX. The first car I ever testdrove, I am sure it was as slow as hell (something like 87hp), but the shifter was an absolute delight. Comparatively the Prelude has long throws and feels very artificial, you can really tell it is cable operated.

omicron

Lovely writing, Raza.

And look! A good car you get, that we Colonials don't!

Raza

Quote from: omicron on December 11, 2007, 08:49:38 PM
Lovely writing, Raza.

And look! A good car you get, that we Colonials don't!

Finally!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12430.msg672149#msg672149 date=1197425779
I walked up and asked. 

Drive an S2000.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 07:16:19 PM
I walked up and asked. 

The 2001 Civic had the worst Honda shifter that I'd have to say, yet was still better than many other cars. The 1990 Civic was excellent, as was the 1998 Accord. Those are the three manual Hondas I've driven. I think the magazines are fairly accurate, although most cars these days have probably caught up to Honda in shifter quality, so perhaps they aren't so special anymore.

Also, I don't know if Honda is still using rods as opposed to cables, but the rods are definately a big factor in Honda's good shifters, I think.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on December 11, 2007, 09:17:50 PM
The 2001 Civic had the worst Honda shifter that I'd have to say, yet was still better than many other cars. The 1990 Civic was excellent, as was the 1998 Accord. Those are the three manual Hondas I've driven. I think the magazines are fairly accurate, although most cars these days have probably caught up to Honda in shifter quality, so perhaps they aren't so special anymore.

Also, I don't know if Honda is still using rods as opposed to cables, but the rods are definately a big factor in Honda's good shifters, I think.

That's why our '91 felt so cool?  It had a rod linkage?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 11, 2007, 09:10:50 PM
Drive an S2000.

I've dry shifted an S2000 before, and just by doing that I could tell it was good.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12430.msg672416#msg672416 date=1197434421
I've dry shifted an S2000 before, and just by doing that I could tell it was good.

It's the best I've ever used, at any price.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MrH

Great review Raza.  You mentioned you've driven a standard Si before, but it's been awhile it seems.  When you test drive one again, do you mind comparing the two?  I think we're all pretty interested to hear whether the Mugen is worth it or not.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 11, 2007, 10:00:14 PM
It's the best I've ever used, at any price.

There's no cables. There's no rods. The shifter enter the transmission directly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: MrH on December 11, 2007, 10:37:13 PM
Great review Raza.  You mentioned you've driven a standard Si before, but it's been awhile it seems.  When you test drive one again, do you mind comparing the two?  I think we're all pretty interested to hear whether the Mugen is worth it or not.

Thanks! 

I don't mind comparing the two at all.  I should be able to drive a standard Si by Christmas, I think. 

This is the review of the standard Si coupe:
http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=8137.0

But that drive was short and quick.  I had a good long time in the Mugen, and I had some pretty sweet roads to drive on.  Compared to the roads I drove in the standard Si, this was the Nurburgring.  A real test of a proper car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2007, 09:40:21 PM

That's what this review reminds me of; a 4-door hardtop FWD S2000. With 40 less hp. If it matched the S2000's power output, then I may just be interested in paying the $30k asking price. I'd also ask for RWD, but I know that's pushing it :devil:

Lazerous

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 11, 2007, 11:23:23 PM
That's what this review reminds me of; a 4-door hardtop FWD S2000. With 40 less hp. If it matched the S2000's power output, then I may just be interested in paying the $30k asking price. I'd also ask for RWD, but I know that's pushing it :devil:

Would you like twin turbo with that?

Great review Raza. I agree you should go refresh your memory of a regular Si and give us a comparo.

I honestly hope they are vastly different, because if they aren't then I would forever hate myself for not getting the Si sedan they had on the lot. Even then, I still can't get the looks to grow on me. I really think it is plain ugly. I wouldn't even give it an "it looks okay." I think the civic coupes are much nicer but they didn't have one (an Si version that is) on the lot when I was getting the Accord, else I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. Yes I honestly do hate the looks of the sedan that much.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Lazerous on December 11, 2007, 11:29:17 PM
Would you like twin turbo with that?

*lightbulb moment*

RDX engine in a Civic: the next Type-R :rockon:

thanks for the idea!

Lazerous

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 11, 2007, 11:37:24 PM
*lightbulb moment*

RDX engine in a Civic: the next Type-R :rockon:

thanks for the idea!

I already patented it before I made the post :evildude:

Raghavan

I think the sedan looks much much better than the coupe.

Lazerous

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 11:40:34 PM
I think the sedan looks much much better than the coupe.

Really? I feel like the design of the those thin headlights flows much better with the design of the coupe. I also prefer the rear-end of the coupe over the boxy punched in end of the sedan.

Raghavan

Quote from: Lazerous on December 11, 2007, 11:42:02 PM
Really? I feel like the design of the those thin headlights flows much better with the design of the coupe. I also prefer the rear-end of the coupe over the boxy punched in end of the sedan.
I think that the Coupe looks like a bubble or something for some reason. The sedan IMO is so much nicer looking from the back.
I prefer the Euro front over the US front though.

Lazerous

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 11:42:49 PM

At least we agree on one thing.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on December 11, 2007, 11:42:49 PM
The Civic with a Euro front is available in Canada as the Acura CSX.

Submariner

That was a professional job, on that review.  Hats off to you.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550