My first ticket...

Started by TheIntrepid, December 13, 2007, 01:27:09 PM

TheIntrepid

Ends up being one for parking. Apparently my rear-view mirror parking permit wasn't displayed. It was indeed in my centre console from when I got my windshield replaced yesterday.

I'm still going to fight it because the parking ticket clearly says 1:13PM, and at 1:05 when I went to grab something from the trunk it was completely snowed in and you couldn't see if there was a permit or there wasn't without brushing snow off the windshield.

I went back out at 1:30 and saw the ticket and the windshield hadn't been touched, save for the envelope for the ticket stuck in the doorframe.

It's $20.

:rage:

I'm pissed, I've never gotten a ticket before. :(

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Lazerous

You can't even call a parking ticket a 'ticket.' It's more of slap on the wrist by your 2nd grade home room teacher for not sitting properly. I admit, parking tickets are no fun and $20 could be put into a savings account for speeding tickets. I would not really consider this as your first ticket. I sent an appeal for both of my parking tickets online and haven't gotten a response yet.

MaxPower

Are you serious?   :rolleyes:  Ugh.

Colonel Cadillac

Raza

$20 parking ticket?  Jeez, I have enough unpaid parking tickets to get arrested should I ever return to Altoona.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

:orly:

I get like 2 parking tickets a day :rolleyes:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raza  on December 13, 2007, 02:33:37 PM
$20 parking ticket?  Jeez, I have enough unpaid parking tickets to get arrested should I ever return to Altoona.

People that leave Altoona usually don't come back...

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TheIntrepid

Hey, I've never gotten a ticket before. I guess this forum has conditioned me a bit to secretly want one, as a merit, no matter how much shit it'll et me into. This kinda made me proud, in a sick kind of way.

Laconian

I didn't like my speeding ticket. You pay for it, every six months, for the next three years.

I don't think I gloated about this, but in August my record became completely spotless! Woo hoo!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MaxPower

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 02:40:13 PM
Hey, I've never gotten a ticket before. I guess this forum has conditioned me a bit to secretly want one, as a merit, no matter how much shit it'll et me into. This kinda made me proud, in a sick kind of way.

Why don't you save this post and repost it when you get a real moving violation.  Tickets of the merit you're looking for are generally speeding tickets and the like--not a $20 parking ticket.  If you didn't figure it out from the previous replies, parking tickets are the lowliest and most common tickets and don't win you bragging rights or sympathy.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: MaxPower on December 13, 2007, 02:56:16 PM
Why don't you save this post and repost it when you get a real moving violation.  Tickets of the merit you're looking for are generally speeding tickets and the like--not a $20 parking ticket.  If you didn't figure it out from the previous replies, parking tickets are the lowliest and most common tickets and don't win you bragging rights or sympathy.

It's subjective isn't it? My parents and most of my friends get pissy and bitch when they get tickets of any kind. :huh:

I just got yelled at by mom for this one.

Raza

Quote from: SaltyDog on December 13, 2007, 02:38:01 PM
People that leave Altoona usually don't come back...

Yeah, well, this adds to the incentive.  As if the smell isn't enough...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MaxPower

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:01:34 PM
It's subjective isn't it? My parents and most of my friends get pissy and bitch when they get tickets of any kind. :huh:

When you grow up and eventually get a real ticket, you'll realize how silly this looks right now.  But, since you're determined to be in the moment, may as well make the most of it!

As for your mom...wow.  Talk some perspective into her.  You obviously made an unintentional mistake, nobody got hurt, and $20 isn't much in the grand scheme of things.  What's going to happen when you do get a speeding ticket?  She'll revoke your license?  Sell the 'trep?  Send you to boarding school in India?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: MaxPower on December 13, 2007, 03:10:23 PM
When you grow up and eventually get a real ticket, you'll realize how silly this looks right now.  But, since you're determined to be in the moment, may as well make the most of it!

As for your mom...wow.  Talk some perspective into her.  You obviously made an unintentional mistake, nobody got hurt, and $20 isn't much in the grand scheme of things.  What's going to happen when you do get a speeding ticket?  She'll revoke your license?  Sell the 'trep?  Send you to boarding school in India?

Since she pays my insurance, she's already said that if I get a speeding ticket, I'm A) paying for it (which is reasonable), and B) I'm getting kicked off the insurance temporarily.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:01:34 PM

Umm, I hata to ask this, but why did you even bother reporting it? You're not a little kid anymore. You made a mess, you can clean it up, and you don't have to trun it by the parents for approval. Just pay the ticket and go on with your day.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2007, 03:30:27 PM
Umm, I hata to ask this, but why did you even bother reporting it? You're not a little kid anymore. You made a mess, you can clean it up, and you don't have to trun it by the parents for approval. Just pay the ticket and go on with your day.

I refuse to pay it. I'm fighting it. Plus, I tell my dad this kind of stuff, he won't make a big deal out of it. It was just my misfortune that my mom was aroudn.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:32:54 PM
I refuse to pay it. I'm fighting it. Plus, I tell my dad this kind of stuff, he won't make a big deal out of it. It was just my misfortune that my mom was aroudn.

Nobody fights $20 parking tickets, but that's your call.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2007, 03:34:04 PM
Nobody fights $20 parking tickets, but that's your call.

It's about principle

3.0L V6

You tell your mom you got a parking ticket. She yells at you. You then decide to fight the ticket which will consume more hours and effort than it's worth at an eqivalent minimum wage.

Why? You've could've just paid the $20, and not had to deal with any ot this.

Pick your battles wisely.

MaxPower

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 13, 2007, 03:38:05 PM
You tell your mom you got a parking ticket. She yells at you. You then decide to fight the ticket which will consume more hours and effort than it's worth at an eqivalent minimum wage.

Why? You've could've just paid the $20, and not had to deal with any ot this.

Pick your battles wisely.

Yes, you make a good point, but it's about principle.  People do irrational things in pursuit of "principle."  Lets sit back and watch...would you like some popcorn?  :popcorn:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: MaxPower on December 13, 2007, 03:44:08 PM
Yes, you make a good point, but it's about principle.  People do irrational things in pursuit of "principle."  Lets sit back and watch...would you like some popcorn?  :popcorn:

Your hostility and sarcasm are kind of uncalled for, wouldn't you say?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:47:09 PM

It is illogical to waste your time fighting a $20 parking ticket, regardless of how innocent you think you are.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

I don't want to pay up the $20 though. :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

Look man, I pay $625 and change per semester for parking on this fucking campus. I'm not going to cough up another PENNY.

3.0L V6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:50:57 PM
I don't want to pay up the $20 though. :huh:

The question is: How much time do you want to spend to save $20? To defend yourself would consume a hell of a lot of time (which you could use for partying, working, etc) for the mere $20.

This isn't a City of Toronto tow-truck ride for your car. It's a $20 parking ticket. The benefit doesn't outweigh the cost of time.

MaxPower

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:47:09 PM

No, I think it's quite justified, especially in light of your continued stubbornness.  FWIW, I'd agree with the sarcasm but I'm not trying to be hostile.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:53:49 PM
Look man, I pay $625 and change per semester for parking on this fucking campus. I'm not going to cough up another PENNY.

You were wrong for not displaying your parking tag. What are you going to do, plead for them to knock it down to $10 because you are so poor that you can't afford the full $20? Bullshit, asshole, quit acting like you're so poor. Your parents just bought you a $30,000 car. Get back to me when having to pay a ticket actually means the difference between feeding yourself for the next week, or starving.

I got a $30 ticket on campus because I parked where I wasn't supposed to. I paid it. I just got a $200 speeding ticket because I was speeding. I'm going to pay for it. Maybe I could go to court and cry about it and try to get it knocked down a little, but I'm still guilty. You're acting like you did nothing wrong. If it really makes you that happy to go crying about your little parking ticket, go ahead.  :rolleyes:

Raza

I'd spend hours of my precious time to save $20. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 03:34:39 PM
It's about principle

It may also be abot learning which battles are worth fighting and which aren't.