My first ticket...

Started by TheIntrepid, December 13, 2007, 01:27:09 PM

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2007, 03:34:04 PM
Nobody fights $20 parking tickets, but that's your call.

I have for the same reason. Took me 20min and no more fine. I don't recommend going too far out of your way, but if you don't deserve it, fight it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

CJ

He deserves it, though.  He clearly did not have his parking permit visible, so he gets a $20 ticket.  You'll spend more money in fees than on the actual ticket itself.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on December 13, 2007, 05:34:01 PM
He deserves it, though.  He clearly did not have his parking permit visible, so he gets a $20 ticket.  You'll spend more money in fees than on the actual ticket itself.

Whether it was up or it wasn't up doesnt' make a difference. The car was too snowed in for them to see inside the window. They usually leave the ticket under the wiper but since it was covered in snow, it was tucked into the top of the door crack.

My point is, I paid in excess of $600 to have 4 cars' license plates registered onto this campus. The parking officers carry PDAs with the database, so if he punched inmy license plate he'd have seen it was registered on the campus.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Suck it up and pay it dude.  It's 20 bucks, and the system of appeals is set up so you generally lose.  It sucks, and it's bullshit, but I don't really see you emerging victorious.

Should you not pay it, or appeal, lose and still not pay, they will hold back your grades and ultimately your diploma.  It ain't worth it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

bing_oh

This reminds me of a guy I gave a parking ticket to for parking in a yellow zone that contributed to a crash (realize that I normally don't do parking tickets...can't stand em, personally). The ticket was all of $10. He refused to pick it up until I threatened to cite him into court for it. He comes to pick it up, but doesn't pay it. I have to actually cite him into court for a misdemeanor, which I have to send Certified Mail because he won't pick up that ticket either. He ends up wasting an afternoon in court and getting fined $60+ over a simple $10 parking ticket. Why waste all that time, effort, and money over something so petty?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on December 13, 2007, 06:21:09 PM
Suck it up and pay it dude.  It's 20 bucks, and the system of appeals is set up so you generally lose.  It sucks, and it's bullshit, but I don't really see you emerging victorious.

Should you not pay it, or appeal, lose and still not pay, they will hold back your grades and ultimately your diploma.  It ain't worth it.

I have to deal with the City of Mississauga instead of the school. I already went to the school parking office and they gave me a number to call. If I fight and lose, I'll pay. I'm not THAT rebellious.

MaxPower

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 06:02:52 PM
My point is, I paid in excess of $600 to have 4 cars' license plates registered onto this campus. The parking officers carry PDAs with the database, so if he punched in my license plate he'd have seen it was registered on the campus.

Your parents (I assume?) paid $600 for the parking passes so that you could park on campus without getting a ticket.  Sure, it would have been nice for the parking officer to cover for your mistake, but looking out for you isn't his job.  Its a $20 mistake.  Live and learn.  I bet you'll never forget to hang your pass now.  :evildude:

I imagine you won't have a hard time getting the ticket overturned.  This is such a minor matter and you're a first-time offender.  They'd have to be a little crazy or very strict not to work with you a little.  At my school we'd walk into the public safety office, explain our sorry sob story, and for first-timers they'd tear up the ticket.  If you had a ton of tickets they'd negotiate.  Edit: you posted while I was typing..this is now irrelevant.

On that note, there are better things to do than fight about the worthiness of a parking ticket.  :banghead:  So I'll end by giving you what I think you wanted out of this thread in the first place:  "Wow, you're a badass! Sounds like you're gonna fight it though, right?  Congratulations, welcome to the ticket fraternity!" 

The Pirate

Quote from: bing_oh on December 13, 2007, 06:34:41 PM
This reminds me of a guy I gave a parking ticket to for parking in a yellow zone that contributed to a crash (realize that I normally don't do parking tickets...can't stand em, personally). The ticket was all of $10. He refused to pick it up until I threatened to cite him into court for it. He comes to pick it up, but doesn't pay it. I have to actually cite him into court for a misdemeanor, which I have to send Certified Mail because he won't pick up that ticket either. He ends up wasting an afternoon in court and getting fined $60+ over a simple $10 parking ticket. Why waste all that time, effort, and money over something so petty?

Please tell me you got some satisfaction out of that end result?  I would have.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sandertheshark

When I lived in Hoboken I averaged about twenty parking tickets a year.  I looked at it as just sixty bucks I paid for a great parking spot.

bing_oh

Quote from: The Pirate on December 13, 2007, 06:47:04 PM
Please tell me you got some satisfaction out of that end result?  I would have.

You have NO idea how amused I was to find that disposition from the court in my mailbox when I came into work that afternoon. I've never laughed so hard over some schmuck getting a $60 fine in my life. :lol:

dazzleman

Trep, I saw the title and thought I was going to read about a nice fat speeding ticket, and I see this..... it's a bit of a letdown, man.... :lol:  A speeding ticket would have been so much more fun.... :evildude:

Seriously though, if you think this ticket is a big deal, then you haven't been in nearly enough trouble.  This is nothing.  This proves that you really NEED a speeding ticket to give you a sense of perspective.

Your mom sounds like how my mom was when I was that age.  I learned quickly not to tell her that type of stuff.  It made life a lot easier.

I got a ticket like this a couple of years ago.  I had forgotten to put my new parking permit in my windshield, in place of the expired permit, so I got written up for parking with an expired permit.  I just made a copy of the new permit and sent it in with the ticket, accompanied by a brief letter explaining that I had a permit.  The ticket was dismissed.  I suggest you do the same.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 06:02:52 PM
Whether it was up or it wasn't up doesnt' make a difference. The car was too snowed in for them to see inside the window. They usually leave the ticket under the wiper but since it was covered in snow, it was tucked into the top of the door crack.

My point is, I paid in excess of $600 to have 4 cars' license plates registered onto this campus. The parking officers carry PDAs with the database, so if he punched inmy license plate he'd have seen it was registered on the campus.

It's not the officer's job to cover your mistake by checking your plate number if your permit isn't displayed.  It's up to you to have the permit displayed.  End of story.

Still, you can probably stand a good chance of getting the ticket thrown out if you just provide a copy of the permit, to show you were actually parking legally.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 13, 2007, 06:48:49 PM
When I lived in Hoboken I averaged about twenty parking tickets a year.  I looked at it as just sixty bucks I paid for a great parking spot.

That's all?  The parking in Hoboken is so bad that I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you got 200 tickets a year.

sandertheshark

Quote from: dazzleman on December 13, 2007, 07:12:45 PM
That's all?  The parking in Hoboken is so bad that I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you got 200 tickets a year.
I'm not that much of a scofflaw.

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on December 13, 2007, 06:21:09 PM

I've done well with parking tickets lately.

I rarely get one, but I've had 3 in the last couple of years.  The first one, as I mentioned, was for failing to display my permit at the train station.  I left the expired one on my windshield.  I just copied the new one and sent it in to them, and the ticket was dismissed.

I also got one in Boston for allegedly parking in a resident-only zone with no permit.  There were no signs indicating that it was a resident only zone, and I sent a letter to the city indicating that.  They dismissed the ticket without admitting it had been issued improperly (which it clearly was).

The last one was for parking in a permit zone without a permit.  I was completely guilty of this.  I thought I could get away with it, and I got zapped.  I paid that ticket.  It was nothing.

MX793

Parking tickets aren't real tickets.  They aren't a moving violation, you don't get any points on your license.  $20 isn't even a particularly pricy parking penalty.  Hell, they could have towed your car and made you not only pay for the ticket, but for towing and impound (they used to have random towing days when I was in college where anybody parked without a permit got towed without warning).  Just mail your $20 and move on.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SaltyDog

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 13, 2007, 07:14:35 PM

COP: Mr Kramer, let me tell you a story. In nineteen-seventy-nine I ticketed a brown Dodge Diplomat for parking in a Church zone. That fine was never paid, and since then that scofflaw has piled up more parking tickets than anyone in New York City. For sixteen years I pursued him, only to see him give me the slip time and time again. I never got a clean look at his face, but he's become my 'white whale'. Mr Kramer, that day was yesterday! But thanks to you, I don't know if I'll ever get that chance again!

KRAMER: I like that eye patch.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

dazzleman

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 13, 2007, 07:14:35 PM

:lol:
I always thought a scofflaw was a person who didn't pay his parking tickets.  I don't think simply getting parking tickets makes you a scofflaw.

SVT_Power

I just paid my parking ticket without telling my parents when i got it few weeks ago
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

I've had four parking tickets, and all of them were bullshit on one level or another. The first two happened on the same morning while parked in the same spot. My car didn't want to start the previous night and I was in a no parking during the day zone. I sent in a letter explaining the circumstances and still had to pay.

I got one for parking in a pay lot right next to and not separated from a free lot. There weren't any visible signs, and I was gonna take some photos to send in, but then I realized that the ticket was from some private company, and it was in a city I probably wouldn't be back to frequently, so I never bothered to pay. I also sold that car a month or so later.

The last one I got was for parking in a spot that was adjacent and not clearly separated from a lot I had a permit for. I took a photo, took it to the court, and they cut it down by half. The judge (actually, a county commissioner) even commented that a lot of people got tickets in that spot a lot. That kind of angered me, because clearly there was insufficient signage, and they knew about it, but did nothing.

Yeah, me and Trep are hella hard core. 0_o
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Psilos on December 14, 2007, 02:10:59 AM
Yeah, me and Trep are hella hard core. 0_o

:rockon:

You also get twenty points for using the word "hella"

etypejohn

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 13, 2007, 01:27:09 PM
Ends up being one for parking. Apparently my rear-view mirror parking permit wasn't displayed. It was indeed in my centre console from when I got my windshield replaced yesterday.

I'm still going to fight it because the parking ticket clearly says 1:13PM, and at 1:05 when I went to grab something from the trunk it was completely snowed in and you couldn't see if there was a permit or there wasn't without brushing snow off the windshield.

I went back out at 1:30 and saw the ticket and the windshield hadn't been touched, save for the envelope for the ticket stuck in the doorframe.

It's $20.

:rage:

I'm pissed, I've never gotten a ticket before. :(

First you're pissed and then kind of proud?  Which is it.   :huh:

Anyway, in the world of driving related citations parking tickets are pretty low on the totem pole.  Parking tickets are like training bras.  Yeah, it's a real bra but there really isn't much in it.  pay it and come back when you get a real ticket.   :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 14, 2007, 07:00:18 AM
:rockon:

You also get twenty points for using the word "hella"

Sarcasm detector on the fritz? ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

CALL_911

I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of wasting that kinda time.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Well, lesse... Trep's 18 or 19, yeah? So, he's worth about $8/hr. As long as the whole thing takes less than two and a half hours, and the ticket gets totally thrown out, he's ahead.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Psilos on December 14, 2007, 02:37:16 PM
Well, lesse... Trep's 18 or 19, yeah? So, he's worth about $8/hr. As long as the whole thing takes less than two and a half hours, and the ticket gets totally thrown out, he's ahead.

I used to make over $40 an hour. So what? That doesn't justify what I'm worth as an employee.

sandertheshark

Quote from: dazzleman on December 13, 2007, 08:13:12 PM
:lol:
I always thought a scofflaw was a person who didn't pay his parking tickets.  I don't think simply getting parking tickets makes you a scofflaw.
Parking illegally upwards of 200 times a year would fit my definition.

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 14, 2007, 03:01:34 PM
I used to make over $40 an hour. So what? That doesn't justify what I'm worth as an employee.

Go find a job in a grocery store, as a landscaper, or as some kind of office assistant. If you get offered more than US$8/hour, I'll eat my hat. (Unless yer minimum wage is higher than that...).

SVT_Power

I got another parking ticket today. what the fuck.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 14, 2007, 05:53:19 PM
Parking illegally upwards of 200 times a year would fit my definition.

I guess you're right.  Though in a place like Hoboken, if you don't have off-street parking, there are often few options to park legally if you don't want to circle the block all night.... :rolleyes: