First FBC, now me. Somebody help me! A6 might be in my immediate future.

Started by saxonyron, December 15, 2007, 12:37:09 AM

saxonyron

This is freaking me out like you can't imagine.  I'm a manual tranny die-hard all the way.  Here's the story. 

- A4 lease is up in a couple months. 
- New B8 A4 not out for another year. 
- A5 not out till spring 08
- My A4 (B7) really is a little on the small side for me, and I'd like something a little bigger to better fit my 6'7" body and 37 kids.
- There's a real fine deal on a CPO '07 A6 with 4,700 miles on it - was in my dealer's loaner fleet.  Has what I want, just test drove it today (in fact, got it for the whole day).  Dealer is asking $6k under blue book, plus will cover my lease close out and any turn in fees.
- I could get this car for pretty much exactly what I was prepared to spend on a new B7 '08 A4 manual.  Plus it has a 100k warranty thru Audi.

Downside - only one.  The slushbox tranny.  Can I get used to this?  I don't know.  But honestly, it felt good sitting in a car that I truly fit easily in.  I more or less wear my A4 like a finely tailored suit.  This A6 had me reaching to find the pedals, and amazed at the elbow room.  Even the seat is larger.  As for handling and the important things, the car runs great.  I'm losing about 1/2 second to 60 MPH, but this thing cruises like a missile and corners real tight.  It's 7.1 sec to 60.  I was impressed by the sport attitude of this car.  I could be completely happy with this car if only my left foot had a pedal.  But reality is an ugly thing, and I think I might have to pull the trigger on this and do without a manual until I get myself into a larger B8 A4 or A5 (which isn't really larger than my A4, but it would be a worthwhile trade off) in a couple years.  I figure if I really can't stand it, I could easily "suffer" thru a year or so and sell it to my Dad, then grab the A4 or A5. But I love my A4 like crazy and am frankly horrified at the prospects of leaving the lease 2 months early and grabbing an automatic tranny.  One of my simple joys of every day is doing some perfectly matched downshifts and feeling the power roll out as my clutch foot directs the show.  You guys understand....at least some of you do! :devil:  (Chris V, I know...I know.) 

Well, I'm looking for some feedback.  Unless the dealer pulls a shitty tomorrow, I'm prepared to sign on the bottom line.  :mask: The car is gorgeous, roomy, luxurious, fast and sexy.  It has the options I would have done myself (Premium Package, Gray with platinum leather interior.)  Only thing I would like that's not there are the memory seats, but my current ride doesn't have them and it doesn't bother me too much.

Again, I'm not leaving the manual tranny cult for good.  Just a brief sabbatical until the right models come up.  I could see me owning this for 2 yrs, then as I said, scoring an A5 or new B8 A4.  And it is a hell of a beautiful car, with a lot to offer.

Here she is...

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

3.2?  Skip it.  Get a Passat 2.0T 6 speed until the B8 A4 comes out.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

No. No way.
You need at least one manual car in the fleet. Get an '07 Honda Accord EX V6 6MT instead.
I'm serious.

saxonyron

Quote from: Raza  on December 15, 2007, 12:43:24 AM
3.2?  Skip it.  Get a Passat 2.0T 6 speed until the B8 A4 comes out.

But isn't the Passat basically the same size...or smaller than the B7 A4?  I do like the idea of more room.  And the 3.2 impressed me.  Much more performance than I expected.  Not far off from my A4.  Ahhhh!  This is a tough decision.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: Raghavan on December 15, 2007, 12:47:49 AM
No. No way.
You need at least one manual car in the fleet. Get an '07 Honda Accord EX V6 6MT instead.
I'm serious.
I'm deathly allergic to Hondas.  I've driven a few and really can't get my brain wrapped around their corporate identity and concept of what a driver's car should be. :huh:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: Raghavan on December 15, 2007, 12:57:15 AM
CPO MT 528i?

I really am sold on the quattro.  And I know many here consider it a mortal sin to buy an AWD BMW. Is AWD even available on the 5er?

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

Quote from: saxonyron on December 15, 2007, 12:59:40 AM
I really am sold on the quattro.  And I know many here consider it a mortal sin to buy an AWD BMW. Is AWD even available on the 5er?
Yeah, it is. Call_911's dad has one, though it's a 535xi.
Subaru Legacy? Or go for the new STI! It's a hatch so you can stuff some kids back there.

cawimmer430

Get an E320 CDI. The Audi A6 is just a rebadged Volkswagen Passat with an extended wheelbase!  :wtf:  :lol:

Just kidding.  :cheers:

How about a Q7 3.0 TDI (is that even sold in the US?)? You can fit all those kids into the rear seats and trunk. Man, Audi should create a minivan just for you!  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Definitely look around for some manual non-Audis before signing up for this one. There are other manufacturers that make good cars, you know.

dazzleman

$6K below blue book, with only 4,700 miles -- Is that blue book for a new car, or a used one?

If it's $6K below blue book for a used 2007 model, I say do it.  That's such a good deal you can barely afford not to do it. 

As for the car, you're a long-time Audi driver, and obviously comfortable with the brand.  The bigger size is better for you and your family.

You may not like the slush box, but would you effectively pay a lot more for a similar car with a manual tranny?  That's really the question.  You can always go back to the stick shift with your next car.

I say do it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

You might as well get it.  It seems like another A4 (B7) isn't going to happen, and like you said, the B8 and A5 are a ways off as well.  I'd probably buy it, automatic cars can be great fun too.  And you can always grab a cigar and head out to your tractor if you need a more "intimate" driving experience.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Ron, does this car have a steptronic transmission like mine?

I have to admit, I never use the gears.  For me, the action of shifting is so intertwined with using the clutch that I find it impossible to get into shifting without a clutch.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 06:16:18 AM
$6K below blue book, with only 4,700 miles -- Is that blue book for a new car, or a used one?

If it's $6K below blue book for a used 2007 model, I say do it.  That's such a good deal you can barely afford not to do it. 

As for the car, you're a long-time Audi driver, and obviously comfortable with the brand.  The bigger size is better for you and your family.

You may not like the slush box, but would you effectively pay a lot more for a similar car with a manual tranny?  That's really the question.  You can always go back to the stick shift with your next car.

I say do it.

That's $6k under used blue book.  It KBB's at around $44,500, and the dealer is looking around $38,500.  The way I look at it, even if I buy it and soomehow can't stand it (not very likely, but it could happen :lol: ) I could probably break even on selling it on the open market.  And I've looked at some BMW 5ers with the AWD (Thanks Rags - good suggestion!) but they're mid $40's with higher miles, or '05's and '06's for the same $.  Plus I couldn't find any manuals.  They do exist, but a 528xi manual CPO is apparently pretty rare.) Again, I'm an admitted Audi fan, so there would have to be a real compelling reason for me to leave the brand.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 06:45:23 AM
Ron, does this car have a steptronic transmission like mine?

I have to admit, I never use the gears.  For me, the action of shifting is so intertwined with using the clutch that I find it impossible to get into shifting without a clutch.

It's the "Tiptronic" with 3 options - manumatic shifting, automatic, or automatic sport mode.  The auto sport mode is pretty cool - it hangs onto gears when you let off the gas, and delays shift points a good 500 rpms I'm guessing.  It gives the whole car a lusty irreverent feel that makes me grin.  Not as visceral as my A4 6 spd MT, but the feeling is there.  I admit, I'm not nuts about the Tiptronic upshifts - no clutch means the engine kind of slurs it's way into the next gear.  Not satisfying.  But Tiptronic downshifts are sweet - with an automatic throttle blip to match.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 15, 2007, 03:02:27 AM
Get an E320 CDI. The Audi A6 is just a rebadged Volkswagen Passat with an extended wheelbase!  :wtf:  :lol:

Just kidding.  :cheers:

How about a Q7 3.0 TDI (is that even sold in the US?)? You can fit all those kids into the rear seats and trunk. Man, Audi should create a minivan just for you!  :devil:

:lol:
No 3.0TDI's here.  3.6 and 4.2 V8 Benzin are all we have AFAIK.  But I don't really need all that room - that's what the Expedition is for.  I just like the idea that I could go out with my wife and another couple and take my car without everyone cursing me in the back seat.  Plus, the extra kid room is always good.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

nickdrinkwater

That's a beautiful car.  If I was in your position I would buy it - seems to suits your needs and it looks great at the same time.  And it's a great price.  In fact the main reservation I have is the price - why is it so cheap?

CALL_911

Ron. NO!!

I think it's borderline idiotic that you aren't considering a BMW. They have AWD, and a manual in the 5er, and you can find a MT 530xi. Hell, a 328xi has a little more room inside than the A4 (it's smaller on the outside), and you can get it in a MT.

I'm not for AWD BMW's, I prefer AWD Audi's. However, in your case, BMW may be the way to go.

(I'll never buy an AWD BMW, even if I live in Nunavut.)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 09:59:20 AM
Ron. NO!!

I think it's borderline idiotic that you aren't considering a BMW. They have AWD, and a manual in the 5er, and you can find a MT 530xi. Hell, a 328xi has a little more room inside than the A4 (it's smaller on the outside), and you can get it in a MT.

I'm not for AWD BMW's, I prefer AWD Audi's. However, in your case, BMW may be the way to go.

Ro, what do you have against AWD BMWs as compared to AWD Audis?

The Pirate

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 09:59:20 AM
Ron. NO!!

Ron can correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't like BMWs because he needs a certain amount of subtlety in whatever car he drives.  For whatever reason, people are more likely to assume they are getting ripped off if their contractor pulls up in a Bimmer.  Nevermind that the Audi cost the same price, it flies under that radar a lot better.  Consider it an economic Q-ship, if you will.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on December 15, 2007, 08:45:27 AM
That's $6k under used blue book.  It KBB's at around $44,500, and the dealer is looking around $38,500.  The way I look at it, even if I buy it and soomehow can't stand it (not very likely, but it could happen :lol: ) I could probably break even on selling it on the open market.  And I've looked at some BMW 5ers with the AWD (Thanks Rags - good suggestion!) but they're mid $40's with higher miles, or '05's and '06's for the same $.  Plus I couldn't find any manuals.  They do exist, but a 528xi manual CPO is apparently pretty rare.) Again, I'm an admitted Audi fan, so there would have to be a real compelling reason for me to leave the brand.

Ron, that's a great price for an almost new A6.  It only has 4,700 miles on it; what could have happened to it in that time?

It really makes me think that I ought to look at that option next time around.

The Pirate

It's funny, I read this thread this morning, then headed out to do some errands.  While I was out, I saw 3 A6s.  It's a great looking car, for sure.  I'm sure it's still a lot of fun to drive.

I say buy it!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 10:02:26 AM
Ro, what do you have against AWD BMWs as compared to AWD Audis?

Basically, because AWD is the way an Audi is supposed to be, IMO. When I think of an Audi, I think of a car that is a beast in the snow, with one of the best AWD systems every made. When I think of a BMW, I think of a backroad stormer (sadly, that has been diluted), which couldn't hang with an Audi in the snow. IMO, the only way a BMW should come is in RWD. I know xDrive is damn good, and I know that they perform well, nonetheless (There's an xDrive BMW in our garage). I just would never have my BMW that way.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:05:11 AM
Basically, because AWD is the way an Audi is supposed to be, IMO. When I think of an Audi, I think of a car that is a beast in the snow, with one of the best AWD systems every made. When I think of a BMW, I think of a backroad stormer (sadly, that has been diluted), which couldn't hang with an Audi in the snow. IMO, the only way a BMW should come is in RWD. I know xDrive is damn good, and I know that they perform well, nonetheless (There's an xDrive BMW in our garage). I just would never have my BMW that way.

I decided against the AWD when I got my current BMW.  But it was more for reasons of cost; I didn't think the amount of snow we get around here justified spending $4K extra for the AWD option.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 10:07:18 AM
I decided against the AWD when I got my current BMW.  But it was more for reasons of cost; I didn't think the amount of snow we get around here justified spending $4K extra for the AWD option.

Well, I tried to get my dad to just get a 535i. He claimed that AWD really helps in the snow, and I made the same argument you did. He also said that it would be safer for my Mom, who hardly drives it. I also said it would be lighter, and save gas, but he thought I was bullshitting.

About 4.5K miles later, he wishes he went RWD, because of the fuel. And the fact that we do not get enough snow to justify the expense. It's exactly the 5er I wouldn't get. Automatic, white, and AWD. Mine would be Space Gray, Manual, RWD, and have ZSP.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:10:17 AM
Well, I tried to get my dad to just get a 535i. He claimed that AWD really helps in the snow, and I made the same argument you did. He also said that it would be safer for my Mom, who hardly drives it. I also said it would be lighter, and save gas, but he thought I was bullshitting.

About 4.5K miles later, he wishes he went RWD, because of the fuel. And the fact that we do not get enough snow to justify the expense. It's exactly the 5er I wouldn't get. Automatic, white, and AWD. Mine would be Space Gray, Manual, RWD, and have ZSP.

White?  You've got to be kidding me.  I hardly ever see a nice car in white.  IMO, white is a chick color on a car, and it could make even a Bentley look cheap.

How much worse is the fuel mileage?  That was a concern for me too.  I just didn't think the extra expense was worth it, and you're making me think I was right.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 10:21:22 AM
White?  You've got to be kidding me.  I hardly ever see a nice car in white.  IMO, white is a chick color on a car, and it could make even a Bentley look cheap.

How much worse is the fuel mileage?  That was a concern for me too.  I just didn't think the extra expense was worth it, and you're making me think I was right.

Yeah, it's white. Because my sister wanted white, and my dad let her pick the color. He wanted Space Gray or Monaco Blue. But noooo. He had to be "diplomatic" about his own car. Stoopit sister. Whatever, I think it's better than Silver. Now that is one color that makes it very non-descript.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:25:48 AM
Yeah, it's white. Because my sister wanted white, and my dad let her pick the color. He wanted Space Gray or Monaco Blue. But noooo. He had to be "diplomatic" about his own car. Stoopit sister. Whatever, I think it's better than Silver. Now that is one color that makes it very non-descript.

:lol: :lol:

Dazzle drives a silver 5er.  Err, my car is silver as well. :mask:

CALL_911

Quote from: The Pirate on December 15, 2007, 10:27:07 AM

:lol: :lol:

Dazzle drives a silver 5er.  Err, my car is silver as well. :mask:

Does he really? I didn't know that. And I thought yours was gold, or something.

It really doesn't look that bad, Dazzle. It's a decent color.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi