First FBC, now me. Somebody help me! A6 might be in my immediate future.

Started by saxonyron, December 15, 2007, 12:37:09 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:25:48 AM
Yeah, it's white. Because my sister wanted white, and my dad let her pick the color. He wanted Space Gray or Monaco Blue. But noooo. He had to be "diplomatic" about his own car. Stoopit sister. Whatever, I think it's better than Silver. Now that is one color that makes it very non-descript.

My car is silver.  I'm not crazy about the color actually.  I think a darker car carries more authority.  I had 2 dark cars in a row and wanted to do something different, so I went with silver.  If I had it to do over again, I'd go with some shade of grey that's a little darker.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 10:30:58 AM
My car is silver.  I'm not crazy about the color actually.  I think a darker car carries more authority.  I had 2 dark cars in a row and wanted to do something different, so I went with silver.  If I had it to do over again, I'd go with some shade of grey that's a little darker.

Yeah. IMO, Space Gray works beautifully on the 5er.

My ideal E60.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:33:04 AM

My ideal E60.

I like that a lot better than the silver.... :cry:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 15, 2007, 10:36:16 AM
I like that a lot better than the silver.... :cry:

Alpine White FTL. No kidding. My dad was about to sign for a Space Gray 535xi that the dealer had in stock, when my sister told him that she wanted white. And, much to my chagrin, there was a white one on the way from Deutschland, that was gonna reach the dealer in about 5 days. It now resides in our garage.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Yeah, I don't particularly care for silver either.  You can't be too fussy when you are buying used in the below $10K category though.

Back on topic (damn, these hijacks sneak right up on ya :lol:), the A6 Ron is looking at is silver too. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Quote from: The Pirate on December 15, 2007, 10:42:02 AM
Yeah, I don't particularly care for silver either.  You can't be too fussy when you are buying used in the below $10K category though.

Back on topic (damn, these hijacks sneak right up on ya :lol:), the A6 Ron is looking at is silver too. 

He hasn't been on for a while. I'm REALLY hoping he didn't make the mistake of buying that thing.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:42:58 AM
He hasn't been on for a while. I'm REALLY hoping he didn't make the mistake of buying that thing.

I hope he does.  I want to ride in it at the next GTG.  :lol:  It's either that or Dazzle's car.  Tough to go wrong there...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Quote from: The Pirate on December 15, 2007, 10:45:14 AM

I hope he does.  I want to ride in it at the next GTG.  :lol:  It's either that or Dazzle's car.  Tough to go wrong there...

Dazzle's car wins.

If you can see this, Ron, GET A MANUAL TRANSMISSION BMW!!!!!!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:33:04 AM

My ideal E60.

Put on Monacco Blue and you have my aunt's 550i.  That fucker is fast!

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on December 15, 2007, 10:53:10 AM

Put on Monacco Blue and you have my aunt's 550i.  That fucker is fast!

Ohhh yeah. The 535i is just as quick as the 550i. There is no doubt that the N54 is underrated.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on December 15, 2007, 11:00:31 AM
And it sounds absolutely wonderful.

It most certainly does. I can't think of a single BMW powerplant that doesn't. My dad's car sounds awesome at high RPM's. It has such a turbine-like sound, it's so smooth. Its engine is perfection.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

She uses her cars for business purposes.  She often takes important people out to lunch, so her 550i is justified.  I honestly think that she couldn't have made a better choice.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

saxonyron

I'm sending this from my treo so dony mind lack of punctuation.  sitting w/ my twins at son's bball practice.  Dave's right about the bmw and contractor image, but I might check out bmw on way over.   Again, didn't see any MT's on line available.  We'll see...

and the car is charcoal gray - not silver.  A litttle lighter than my dolphingray a4, but darker tgan silver.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

CALL_911

Quote from: saxonyron on December 15, 2007, 11:13:56 AM
I'm sending this from my treo so dony mind lack of punctuation.  sitting w/ my twins at son's bball practice.  Dave's right about the bmw and contractor image, but I might check out bmw on way over.   Again, didn't see any MT's on line available.  We'll see...

and the car is charcoal gray - not silver.  A litttle lighter than my dolphingray a4, but darker tgan silver.

Check BMW out, Ron, you won't be sorry.

In any case, I'll take another B7 over the C6 A6 any day of the week.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: saxonyron on December 15, 2007, 08:50:52 AM
:lol:
No 3.0TDI's here.  3.6 and 4.2 V8 Benzin are all we have AFAIK.  But I don't really need all that room - that's what the Expedition is for.  I just like the idea that I could go out with my wife and another couple and take my car without everyone cursing me in the back seat.  Plus, the extra kid room is always good.

Yeah, but with the expedition you need to stop at every gas station just to fill up the tank again. Get an R320 CDI.  :lol: :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 10:29:23 AM
Does he really? I didn't know that. And I thought yours was gold, or something.

It really doesn't look that bad, Dazzle. It's a decent color.

Gold?  Do you think I'm from Long Island or something? :evildude:  I'd never drive a gold car..... :banghead:

EDIT:  I just noticed that you were referring to Adam's car, not mine, when you said you thought it was gold.  Still, I'm leaving the post, since I try to never miss an opportunity to poke fun at Long Island.... :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on December 15, 2007, 11:13:56 AM

Actually, Adam was the one with the comment about people think they're getting ripped off if a contractor pulls up in a BMW.

I think it's a valid point.  I've noticed that people really do react differently to you when you drive a BMW.  In some ways it's a compliment, and other ways it's foolish.  It's something people definitely notice, a lot more than I generally do.

SaltyDog

IMO automatic trannys get BORING AS HELL when you're forced to drive them day in and day out.

After another bad day is through, all is right in the world when I get in the car and my left foot and right arm provide the missing link between Mr. Engine and Mrs. Wheels so they can co-exist in harmony.  It's a very satisfying type of control.  Or maybe I'm just wierd and autos aren't so bad...

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

dazzleman

Guys, keep in mind that this car is not a toy for Ron.  It's his daily driver, and he spends a lot of time going in and out of city traffic.

I'd find a manual tranny to be a major PITA in that type of situation, much as I like them in other situations.  So far, Ron has chosen to use a manual tranny for his daily driver, but I don't think a slushbox is so objectionable in this situation.

CJ

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: saxonyron on December 15, 2007, 12:54:41 AM
But isn't the Passat basically the same size...or smaller than the B7 A4?  I do like the idea of more room.  And the 3.2 impressed me.  Much more performance than I expected.  Not far off from my A4.  Ahhhh!  This is a tough decision.

The B6 Passat is rather large. 

Front Headroom (in.)     38.40
Rear Headroom (in.)    37.80
Front Legroom (in.)    41.40
Rear Legroom (in.)    37.70
Front Shoulder Room (in.)    55.70
Rear Shoulder Room (in.)    54.60

A6:
Front Headroom (in.)     38.70
Rear Headroom (in.)    37.80
Front Legroom (in.)    41.30
Rear Legroom (in.)    36.90
Front Shoulder Room (in.)    57.10
Rear Shoulder Room (in.)    55.90

They're basically the same size, the Passat's even larger in some areas.  And FWD is fine in the winter.  I'm sure you can cope with it for a short time until the B8 A4 comes out.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2007, 12:40:12 PM
BMW has never made an AWD sedan with a V8.

Does he have to have AWD?  I'm sure RWD with snow tires would be just fine.

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on December 15, 2007, 12:50:51 PM
Does he have to have AWD?  I'm sure RWD with snow tires would be just fine.

He's sold on AWD. I would want RWD too, but he wants AWD.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi