2008 Econoline - official photos

Started by TheIntrepid, December 17, 2007, 05:22:32 PM

the Teuton

How does one get past the fact that all but the front of this van comes straight out of 1993?  This van has been out and nearly untouched for 3/4 of my life!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 18, 2007, 10:23:47 AM
How does one get past the fact that all but the front of this van comes straight out of 1993?  This van has been out and nearly untouched for 3/4 of my life!
I thought the chassis is directly from the Super Duty pickups.

GoCougs

Oh, wow - shades of Clark Griswold's Family Truckster - and not good ones.

The Pirate

Quote from: GoCougs on December 18, 2007, 12:23:56 PM
Oh, wow - shades of Clark Griswold's Family Truckster - and not good ones.

:lol:
Haha, you have a point there!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on December 18, 2007, 10:23:47 AM

Maybe because I'm older it doesn't bother me as much?

Besides, like I said: it's primary purpose is a work truck, not to impress the valets.

Take big trucks as an example. The Mack R-model was made from 1970 to 1991 with zero cosmetic changes to the styling of the cab. The Pete 379 has looked the same for even longer than that and is still in production. Lots of changes have happened to the interior and machanicals of these trucks, but the theory was pretty much: if it aint broke don't fix it.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Pancor

I used to drive the previous version of this truck with a cube body and the powerstroke daily, and it was a good machine.  I think the interior looks like absolute trash (most heavy trucks even look better!) but when the only thing on your mind is how shitty working for a living is, you don't give a fuck.   However, I still favour the Sprinter, followed by the Duramax Savanna.

TBR

I think it is important to remember the Ram Van in this, it still shared a significant number of parts with the '70s equivalent and I think that caused its demise.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TBR on December 18, 2007, 09:25:42 PM
I think it is important to remember the Ram Van in this, it still shared a significant number of parts with the '70s equivalent and I think that caused its demise.

As did the horribly awkward seating positions...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

The sales point to how perfect it is for its intended market. As a work van, that interior will primarily be filthy and covered in work detritus, so what it looks like new is of little importance. Or, in an ambulance capacity, covered with radio gear and switchgear so much you can't even SEE the stock dash. Some of you guys are so ignorant of what the uses of this vehicle are you really can't see the bigger picture.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on December 19, 2007, 06:16:58 AM
The sales point to how perfect it is for its intended market. As a work van, that interior will primarily be filthy and covered in work detritus, so what it looks like new is of little importance. Or, in an ambulance capacity, covered with radio gear and switchgear so much you can't even SEE the stock dash. Some of you guys are so ignorant of what the uses of this vehicle are you really can't see the bigger picture.

It's certain that reliability and functionality would be of higher importance than style; of course, complacency can eventually lead to irrelevance in the market. I suppose that any number of cost-benefit analyses have been performed - would interior and exterior improvements generate enough additional sales to pay for the upgrades? One suspects that attention paid to engine efficiency and safety would be more desirable to business and fleet owners than new exterior and interior styling.

ifcar

They did just give it a new front end, so they must have decided that styling paid some factor.

But I think the biggest factor is the price. As long as they can keep it cheap (and by never changing it substantially, that's easy), they can continue to account for more than half the sales in their class.

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on December 19, 2007, 07:06:12 AM
They did just give it a new front end, so they must have decided that styling paid some factor.

But I think the biggest factor is the price. As long as they can keep it cheap (and by never changing it substantially, that's easy), they can continue to account for more than half the sales in their class.

I suspect the styling change has more to do with a bunch of marketers sitting about wondering what to do this week, rather than any pressing requests from buyers.

SVT_Power

Quote from: omicron on December 19, 2007, 06:59:28 AM
It's certain that reliability and functionality would be of higher importance than style; of course, complacency can eventually lead to irrelevance in the market. I suppose that any number of cost-benefit analyses have been performed - would interior and exterior improvements generate enough additional sales to pay for the upgrades? One suspects that attention paid to engine efficiency and safety would be more desirable to business and fleet owners than new exterior and interior styling.

That's some fancy writing for a econoline thread  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

This truck is "New" like I'm Jessica freakin' Alba.

sportyaccordy

I prefer the diesel Dodge Sprinters...

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550